RE: [Scouter_T] District or Council Groups?

  • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2003
      Chuck
      So do you use another service, or run list serve software from someone's
      server?

      Rick

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2003
        Dan Kurtenbach wrote...

        > I run an "unofficial" Yahoo! Group for our District. There are two main
        > functions: first, to broadcast information by email; second, as a
        > repository for documents (things like the District Calendar, Pinewood
        > Derby rules, training course flyers, Camporee information, the approved
        > BALOO campsites list, etc.) that Scouters can download.

        Dan and others. Have you had any problems with your list members
        being spammed because of the "marketing options" that Yahoo defaults
        to "on" for all sorts of spam?

        That's what kept me from doing the same with Yahoo.

        YiS,

        Chuck
      • Dan Kurtenbach
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2003
          Chuck wrote:

          > Dan and others. Have you had any problems with your list members
          > being spammed because of the "marketing options" that Yahoo defaults
          > to "on" for all sorts of spam?

          Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the volume of
          material I send out over the list myself! <VBG> But probably 2/3 or more
          of the list members are email only -- they don't have Yahoo! IDs or
          profiles. The Group website is set up so that the files can be viewed and
          downloaded by anyone, without the need for a Yahoo! ID. And I suspect that
          those who can navigate the process of getting a Yahoo! ID take enough
          interest that they can adjust their settings, or are simply used to spam and
          using their delete key. I probably get 20-30 spam messages a day. It takes
          me maybe 60 to 90 seconds total to deal with it, and in exchange I get all
          the benefits of email and Groups and the internet.

          Dan Kurtenbach
          Fairfax, VA
        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
            Dan wrote...

            > Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the volume of
            > material I send out over the list myself! <VBG>

            <snicker>

            > But probably 2/3 or more of the list members are email only --
            > they don't have Yahoo! IDs or profiles.

            As I understand it, they don't need the Yahoo profies or username to be spammed. WE set up a special purpose list like that at work. I was a "default member". I hand't had much trouble with spam before then, but I now get 20-50 spams a day.

            That takes me time fro my work to deal with -- usning inbox rules or whatever, and I don't have the option of blocking addresses.

            Persoannly, I blame Yahoo for that increase in spam.

            Dan wrote...

            > Chuck, I haven't had any complaints about spam -- other than the
            > volume of material I send out over the list myself! <VBG>

            <snicker>

            > But probably 2/3 or more of the list members are email only --
            > they don't have Yahoo! IDs or profiles.

            As I understand it, they don't need the Yahoo profiles or username
            to be spammed. WE set up a special purpose list like that at work.
            I was a "default member". I hadn't had much trouble with spam
            before then, but I now get 20-50 spams a day.

            That takes me time from my work to deal with -- using inbox rules
            or whatever, and I don't have the option of blocking addresses.

            > The Group website is set up so that the files can be viewed and
            > downloaded by anyone, without the need for a Yahoo! ID. And I
            > suspect that those who can navigate the process of getting a
            > Yahoo! ID take enough interest that they can adjust their
            > settings, or are simply used to spam and using their delete key.

            Or maybe they just don't know what to do about it? I know that's
            one of the reasons that I didn't take the newsletter that I do over
            to Yahoo -- I have a few folks in areas where they still have to
            pay for email access, by the byte. So I might be more sensitive to
            that.

            As a listowner, however, I don't feel that I have the right to make
            people put up with the hassle of getting a Yahoo ID, linking there
            addresses, and then turning all this #@$#%@ off.

            This address is my dedicated address for Scouting purposes. On my
            other address, I signed on this morning, and found 5 new messages.
            4 were spam, and one was a broadcast form the other NPO I work
            with. Cox doesn't offer me the option of filtering, like Yahoo
            does. But Yahoo now charges for POP3 download, and I get that free
            with my Cox account.

            > I probably get 20-30 spam messages a day. It takes me maybe 60
            > to 90 seconds total to deal with it, and in exchange I get all
            > the benefits of email and Groups and the internet.

            Personally, I blame Yahoo for the increase in my spam, and I
            _don't_ consider it a benefit, or "small price to pay".

            I know you've been around on Scouts-L and some other lists for a
            long time. You might remember my other address -- chuckb@aztec...?
            That address is now useless to me, because all I get there is spam.
            and it's about 125 messages a day! This is pure horse re-processed
            hay!

            <SLAP!> <Snap out of it, Chuck.>

            OK, I feel better now. Sorry for the diatribe... Anyway, I
            redirected it to a yahoo account, just to be able to handle it all,
            without closing the account. (It's on a freenet.)

            I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
            Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
            -- Stephen R. Covey
            PS: Spam is not the "Main Thing".
          • Dan Kurtenbach
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2003
              Thanks for your comments, Chuck. I guess spam just has not become much of a
              problem for me at this point, and, as I said, I haven't had any complaints
              about the Yahoo! Group. I don't know if groups/communities provided by
              other companies, such as AOL and MSN, have the same spam issues as Yahoo!

              I suppose there are other things I could do, such as simply maintain a list
              of email addresses in Outlook, or find a free bulletin-board type service
              rather than an email-based group. But the bottom line is that the Yahoo!
              Group (i) has substantial advantages over other options that I could handle,
              and (ii) is within my personal "technical" capabilities. If someone wants
              to do something else for a District news/information system, more power to
              them! I would never say that a Yahoo! Group is the best tool for the job;
              it's just the best tool I have in *my* toolbox.

              Dan Kurtenbach
              Fairfax, VA