Re: [Scouter_T] Presenting WB Regalia

  • SmithJeff1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2002
      While it is true that Courts of Honor are basically for the boys, it is not
      unusual to have a beading ceremony at a court of honor or presentation of any
      other adult awards. In fact, it should be encouraged since it sets a very
      good example for the boys that adullts who devote time and energy on their
      behalf are recognized for that effort.

      The standard is that the adult awards are presented at the beginning of the
      court of honor so that the remainder of the COH is centered around the boys.
      If the scouter getting his/her Wood Badge beads works almost exclusively at
      the unit level, it really does them a disservice to require their
      presentation at a Round Table or other event away from the unit.

      Leave the majority of the COH for the boys but don't miss a great opportunity
      to pat your adults on the back. It's part of what keeps them active.

      Jeff Smith
      Council Training Chair
      Simon Kenton Council

      Troop Committee Training Coordinator
      Troop 814

    • John Oliphant
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2002
        I received my beads during a campfire at our council IOLS session in the
        spring. It's a neat "marketing" ploy to make these newer Scouters aware
        of Wood Badge. In addition, a few guys were beaded during my WB course.
        That was cool, because they did all the ceremonial stuff and it was 100%
        relevant to the event.

        Side note: I was told afterwards to be careful with this set of beads,
        because the thong was broken as it was received. The presenter mentioned
        that the thongs have been getting "cheaper" lately.

        --
        John Oliphant
        ASM Troop 696
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2002
          John wrote:
          > Side note: I was told afterwards to be careful with this set of beads,
          > because the thong was broken as it was received. The presenter mentioned
          > that the thongs have been getting "cheaper" lately.

          I've heard something similar from others. I've noticed some of the
          "old-timers" have thinner (yet stronger), round cord for their beads. This
          prompted me to action!

          On our course, we have an evening when we traditionally exchange gifts. I
          made new cords for each staff member with a higher quality leather cord, and
          tied (instead of an overhand knot) a Turk's Head knot (woggle). Add your own
          beads, and voila! Cool conversation piece at your next WB reunion dinner.

          YiS,
          Sean