Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 494

  • Thomas G Bingaman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
      Oh boy the good Old Boy network strikes again. There is no
      requirement as to who presents the regalia at a presentation
      or when to hold the ceremony. The only thing is the ceremony
      should be dignified. Beads can be presented at a roundtable,
      a training function, a troop meeting or all of them.
      Yes we have done multiple presentations.

      I have been presenting beads for the last 20 yr. and recently,
      about seven years ago I started asking the recipient who they
      wanted to present them with their beads.
      We have asked wives, children, staff members, prior recipients
      beaded or not,

      The ceremony has grown into opening with the blowing of the
      Kudo horn, usually find the troup bugler can handle the task.
      Next the history of the items presented, then having the
      designated person present the items.
      Usually have a hand axe in a small log and a candle representing
      the final ceremony. Well we can do away with the candle for
      those earned in the 21 Century Wood Badge. After the award has
      been made we, with prior consent, ask the person who earned the
      award to say a few words about the experience from the time on
      the hill in camp to even how it has impacted their life at home,
      work and in Scouting. We then close with the blowing of the Kudo.

      We only sing the song if we are in the majority. I have turned
      down requests to sing at Council events or Roundtable's those
      present usually resent our actions.

      We did have a ceremony at a Camporee gathering of Wood Badge members
      and presented seven sets of beads there were about 100 in attendance
      at a public location and sang all Eight critters, even a Ninth, Raven
      and Tenth, Explorer. If you have never heard the verse it starts out
      'I used to camp with Bridger, Carson, Clark and Boone etc.'

      To get your Award by mail in a envelope has never been acceptable for
      me. I have been contacted many times by my Council and journeyed to
      many of our ten districts to be involved with presenting the award to
      Scouters I have only meet that night.

      When I started in 1968 there were 100 names on a mimeographed
      list we now are up over 1000 that have attended and have a 98%
      completion rate. My course, 64 attended 35% completed. My how
      thing have improved by tracking our course participants.

      --
      YiS
      Tom Bingaman