Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 494

  • Jak Stallings
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
      Sean Scott wrote:
      "The Wood Badge beads, neckerchief, woggle and certificate
      MUST be presented by one or more past members of a Wood
      Badge staff--"three-beader(s)" or "four-beader(s)". "
      <end of quotation>

      The rest of Sean's comments were on the mark, but I must
      respectfully disagree with Sean's statement quoted above,
      or at least the word "MUST." Of course, it could be a
      local requirement.

      I know of nothing that says a staffer (current or former)
      "MUST" present the beads. There is encouragement for the
      course's (and other) staffers to attend and participate.
      There is also encouragement for it to be done at a District
      or Council event for promotional reasons. Encouragement
      and guidance are not requirements, however.

      I recently participated in a beading ceremony where one of
      the bead recipients (there were 4 total) had one of his
      ASMs who had been SPL when the new WBer first took the SM
      job present his beads. The ASM has not attended Wood Badge
      and is getting ready to leave for service in the Middle
      East. I've seen a lot of cases where a Wood Badger (2
      bead) spouse, parent or child presented beads. I'm not
      sure if I can cite a case when a staffer (3 or 4 beader)
      was not present, but I know of no REQUIREMENT that they be
      there.

      In saying the above, I know that most course directors,
      troop guides (previously coach counselors), ticket
      counselors and other staffers (especially the SPL) usually
      try to make as many beadings for their folks as they can.
      That is as it should be.

      I could be wrong and always welcome an opportunity to
      learn. I hope I'm not being overly picky, but don't want
      to propogate requirements that are not there.

      YiS,
      Jak Stallings
      Istrouma Area Council Training Chairman
      Prairieville, LA
      I used to be a Beaver, and a good old staffer, too...

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Leslie (MI)
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
        I got my Boy Scout beads in the mail. The coach-counselor did put a bit of
        confetti in the envelope.
        --------
        Leslie
        CubBobwhite (EC-CS-19
        ScoutBuffalo (C-33-98)
        http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/CubScoutRoundtable
        http://www.powwow-online.net

        > "The Wood Badge beads, neckerchief, woggle and certificate
        > MUST be presented by one or more past members of a Wood
        > Badge staff--"three-beader(s)" or "four-beader(s)". "
        > <end of quotation>
        >
        > The rest of Sean's comments were on the mark, but I must
        > respectfully disagree with Sean's statement quoted above,
        > or at least the word "MUST." Of course, it could be a
        > local requirement.
        >
        > I know of nothing that says a staffer (current or former)
        > "MUST" present the beads. There is encouragement for the
        > course's (and other) staffers to attend and participate.
        > There is also encouragement for it to be done at a District
        > or Council event for promotional reasons. Encouragement
        > and guidance are not requirements, however.
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
          > The rest of Sean's comments were on the mark, but I must
          > respectfully disagree with Sean's statement quoted above,
          > or at least the word "MUST." Of course, it could be a
          > local requirement.

          This may very well be true. I was set to present beads for one of my course
          co-participants (and good friend) at summer camp. I was at the time on
          staff, but hadn't yet received my third bead. We happened to be at camp that
          week for a development, along with the regional WB rep and course mentor,
          and they both told me that since I did not yet have my third bead I couldn't
          present. My involvement was limited to singing the song. The course and
          program director did the presentation instead.

          This isn't something I saw in writing, just what I was told (albeit by two
          folks I would assume should know) and so I shouldn't have spoken with such
          authority on it. Thanks, Jak, for pointing that out!

          As for receiving beads at a troop level, we had three people receive theirs
          at our troop COH last February, and it got their color picture on the front
          page of the local section of the paper! I also know of people who've had
          their beads presented more than once--at the district RT as well as their
          unit level.

          YiS,
          Sean
        • Thomas G Bingaman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
            Oh boy the good Old Boy network strikes again. There is no
            requirement as to who presents the regalia at a presentation
            or when to hold the ceremony. The only thing is the ceremony
            should be dignified. Beads can be presented at a roundtable,
            a training function, a troop meeting or all of them.
            Yes we have done multiple presentations.

            I have been presenting beads for the last 20 yr. and recently,
            about seven years ago I started asking the recipient who they
            wanted to present them with their beads.
            We have asked wives, children, staff members, prior recipients
            beaded or not,

            The ceremony has grown into opening with the blowing of the
            Kudo horn, usually find the troup bugler can handle the task.
            Next the history of the items presented, then having the
            designated person present the items.
            Usually have a hand axe in a small log and a candle representing
            the final ceremony. Well we can do away with the candle for
            those earned in the 21 Century Wood Badge. After the award has
            been made we, with prior consent, ask the person who earned the
            award to say a few words about the experience from the time on
            the hill in camp to even how it has impacted their life at home,
            work and in Scouting. We then close with the blowing of the Kudo.

            We only sing the song if we are in the majority. I have turned
            down requests to sing at Council events or Roundtable's those
            present usually resent our actions.

            We did have a ceremony at a Camporee gathering of Wood Badge members
            and presented seven sets of beads there were about 100 in attendance
            at a public location and sang all Eight critters, even a Ninth, Raven
            and Tenth, Explorer. If you have never heard the verse it starts out
            'I used to camp with Bridger, Carson, Clark and Boone etc.'

            To get your Award by mail in a envelope has never been acceptable for
            me. I have been contacted many times by my Council and journeyed to
            many of our ten districts to be involved with presenting the award to
            Scouters I have only meet that night.

            When I started in 1968 there were 100 names on a mimeographed
            list we now are up over 1000 that have attended and have a 98%
            completion rate. My course, 64 attended 35% completed. My how
            thing have improved by tracking our course participants.

            --
            YiS
            Tom Bingaman