Re: [Scouter_T] District Training Chair

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
      Annemarie,

      If you have not already been, go to Wood Badge and a Trainer's
      Development Conference for starters. You are already subscribed to this
      list which is a good resource for specific advice. And up your "frequent
      flyer miles" on <usscouts.org> ;-) What you really need is to develop a
      "vision" of what you think your District needs training-wise and work up
      a plan to "deliver" on that vision. You need not (cannot) do this alone.
      There are more than likely others in your District who, once developed,
      will buy into your vision and assist you in its implimentation. Talk to
      previous trainers on the staff and get their input and feedback. I would
      also poll unit leaders for their feedback as well. You will get a whole
      new perspective and a clear sense of their needs/wants in training. All
      the training materials should be available through your DE, most
      Councils actually have a training "budget" you might be able to draw
      from to startup your efforts resource-wise. BTW, your DE can be a great
      resource in helping you get started and identifying people in your
      District to help you.

      Later on, once you get comfortable with your new position, I would
      strongly recommend a summer "trip" to BSA's Philmonte Training Center
      (Philmonte NM) for a seminar relating to your position. This will
      ratchet you up to the next level and really get you inspired. It is a
      wonderful experience, both for you, and the whole family. They have
      great programs for family members of all ages while you take the
      seminars during the day. And you share your evenings together doing
      something every night. The Grand Canyon is less than a day's drive away
      too. It will be one of those experiences you remember for the rest of
      your life.

      Good luck. Yours in Scouting,
      Jim
      Distict Training Chair (6 years now!)