RE: [Scouter_T] HELP .. woodbadge hanging/beading

  • Robert Braden
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      I think as long as you devise a plan that honors the person, you should be
      fine. Most beads are handed out at a court that honors adults (recognition)
      at the district level. I have never seen a troop level presentation.

      Robert Braden
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        From my patrol all but two of the beadings were done at Round
        Tables, the others were done at the Unit level. I've
        also seen them done at District dinners and our Scouting
        University. As I said before, beadings at district/council
        events help publicize the next Wood Badge Course. Isn't
        publicity one of the best ways to get people to take training?

        Pete

        > ----------

      • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2002
          Robert Braden wrote: I have never seen a troop level presentation.

          My wife got hers at a troop Court of Honor. She thought that it would be a
          great demonstration that the adults work through requirements and receive
          recognition as well. And after all, the ticket was written to strengthen our
          troop, she thought that it would be appropriate.

          Rick

        • Dan Hammond, Sr.
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
            Ida Lively wrote in part:

            "I've been approached by a young fellow who is to
            receive his Woodbadge Beads.

            He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ...

            which is our Blue and Gold (pot luck) celebration."
            <snip>

            "How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What
            is it *truly* called?"
            <snip>

            It's usually referred to as a "beading ceremony."

            This link has several very good ceremonies that can be
            used. Any are appropriate, and the version you choose
            can be based on the amonut of time you have available
            and the number of Wood Badge holders you have that
            can/will participate.

            http://www.woodbadge.org/Ceremonies/wbcere.htm

            You can't hardly do it "wrong", but I do deplore the
            "here are your beads, here is your neckechief, let me
            help you put on the woggle" ceremonies that my
            district usually does.

            See if the young fellow you want to recognize can get
            any of his fellow patrol members to attend. You might
            even be able to enlist the help of one of the staffers
            from his course or even his coach counselor.

            Done properly, a beading ceremony has the same impact
            on its observers as a good Eagle cermony. It makes
            them think, "Some day I want to be there getting that
            same recognition. That's cool!"

            =====
            Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
            Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, MC T366
            |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

            Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • jsm516@juno.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2002
              My Scoutmaster and I both received out beads at a Troop Court of Honor.
              Completion of our tickets were to the benefit of our troop, and we were
              the first in the troop to have gone to Wood Badge. We wanted to
              hopefully set the example for other Scouters in the troop. In the three
              years since we attended, six more Scouters have attended Wood Badge,
              three of which have already received their beads.

              Sandy Maines