District Training Chair

  • Sharp, Annemarie
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
      So I went to my first district meeting last night and was nominated to
      fill the vacancy of the District Training Chair. I've been involved with
      a troop for about two years, most recently as the advancement chair. The
      previous training chair has moved away from the area, so he's not
      available as a resource. I'm going to meet with the DE this afternoon to
      get what materials he has. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding
      resources or materials, online or publications, that would help me to
      get off and running?

      Annemarie Sharp
      Office of Development
      Kelley School of Business
      1275 East Tenth Street, #3000
      Bloomington, IN 47405-1703
      (p) 812-855-6994
      (f) 812-855-3535
      ansharp@...

      There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary,
      and those who don't.

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
        Annemarie,

        If you have not already been, go to Wood Badge and a Trainer's
        Development Conference for starters. You are already subscribed to this
        list which is a good resource for specific advice. And up your "frequent
        flyer miles" on <usscouts.org> ;-) What you really need is to develop a
        "vision" of what you think your District needs training-wise and work up
        a plan to "deliver" on that vision. You need not (cannot) do this alone.
        There are more than likely others in your District who, once developed,
        will buy into your vision and assist you in its implimentation. Talk to
        previous trainers on the staff and get their input and feedback. I would
        also poll unit leaders for their feedback as well. You will get a whole
        new perspective and a clear sense of their needs/wants in training. All
        the training materials should be available through your DE, most
        Councils actually have a training "budget" you might be able to draw
        from to startup your efforts resource-wise. BTW, your DE can be a great
        resource in helping you get started and identifying people in your
        District to help you.

        Later on, once you get comfortable with your new position, I would
        strongly recommend a summer "trip" to BSA's Philmonte Training Center
        (Philmonte NM) for a seminar relating to your position. This will
        ratchet you up to the next level and really get you inspired. It is a
        wonderful experience, both for you, and the whole family. They have
        great programs for family members of all ages while you take the
        seminars during the day. And you share your evenings together doing
        something every night. The Grand Canyon is less than a day's drive away
        too. It will be one of those experiences you remember for the rest of
        your life.

        Good luck. Yours in Scouting,
        Jim
        Distict Training Chair (6 years now!)
        Central Florida Council, Orlando FL
        "...and a good ole beaver too!"

      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
          In a message dated 12/6/2002 9:21:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, ansharp@... writes:

          > So I went to my first district meeting last night and was nominated to
          > fill the vacancy of the District Training Chair. I've been involved with
          > a troop for about two years, most recently as the advancement chair. The
          > previous training chair has moved away from the area, so he's not
          > available as a resource. I'm going to meet with the DE this afternoon to
          > get what materials he has. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding
          > resources or materials, online or publications, that would
          > help me to
          > get off and running?

          The "manual" is 'Leadership Training Plans, Procedures, Materials' - Item #WW34169E. It's purple. It has had content changes in the last couple years, so look for the E on the end.

          If you haven't been through the new courses, arrange to get copies of the tapes and syllabi and review them.

          There's a procedure in the guide called an Inventory of Unit Training, or Unit Training Inventory (can't remember which). It is a way of determining how many leaders in the district are trained, and what indiviudals and units are in need of training. The Inventory is designed to help your committee set goals on how many leaders to train, where to target your training. (e.g. - you may need to train more heavily in Cub Scouting, or in a particular geographic region of your district). While its a time consuming process, I found it helpful when I was the Training Chair.

          Hope this helps.

          YiS
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer