RE: [Scouter_T] HELP .. woodbadge hanging/beading

  • Robert Braden
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      I think as long as you devise a plan that honors the person, you should be
      fine. Most beads are handed out at a court that honors adults (recognition)
      at the district level. I have never seen a troop level presentation.

      Robert Braden
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        Our troop calls the beading ceremony a Wood Badge Court of Honor. We hold it right after a Troop Court of Honor. It is opened by striking an axe in a log and closed by its removal. The presenter chooses the actual ceremony but it's a lot like what the others have described. We have all Wood Badgers who are present come forward for the ceremony. The Council held a beading ceremony at the last council camporee but I wasn't present to be able to report on it.

        Larry Ohs
        Troop 12 Assistant Scoutmaster
        Salt Valley District Training Committee
        Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
        "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

[...]

      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          From my patrol all but two of the beadings were done at Round
          Tables, the others were done at the Unit level. I've
          also seen them done at District dinners and our Scouting
          University. As I said before, beadings at district/council
          events help publicize the next Wood Badge Course. Isn't
          publicity one of the best ways to get people to take training?

          Pete

          > ----------

        • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2002
            Robert Braden wrote: I have never seen a troop level presentation.

            My wife got hers at a troop Court of Honor. She thought that it would be a
            great demonstration that the adults work through requirements and receive
            recognition as well. And after all, the ticket was written to strengthen our
            troop, she thought that it would be appropriate.

            Rick

          • Dan Hammond, Sr.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
              Ida Lively wrote in part:

              "I've been approached by a young fellow who is to
              receive his Woodbadge Beads.

              He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ...

              which is our Blue and Gold (pot luck) celebration."
              <snip>

              "How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What
              is it *truly* called?"
              <snip>

              It's usually referred to as a "beading ceremony."

              This link has several very good ceremonies that can be
              used. Any are appropriate, and the version you choose
              can be based on the amonut of time you have available
              and the number of Wood Badge holders you have that
              can/will participate.

              http://www.woodbadge.org/Ceremonies/wbcere.htm

              You can't hardly do it "wrong", but I do deplore the
              "here are your beads, here is your neckechief, let me
              help you put on the woggle" ceremonies that my
              district usually does.

              See if the young fellow you want to recognize can get
              any of his fellow patrol members to attend. You might
              even be able to enlist the help of one of the staffers
              from his course or even his coach counselor.

              Done properly, a beading ceremony has the same impact
              on its observers as a good Eagle cermony. It makes
              them think, "Some day I want to be there getting that
              same recognition. That's cool!"

              =====
              Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
              Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, MC T366
              |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

              Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • jsm516@juno.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2002
                My Scoutmaster and I both received out beads at a Troop Court of Honor.
                Completion of our tickets were to the benefit of our troop, and we were
                the first in the troop to have gone to Wood Badge. We wanted to
                hopefully set the example for other Scouters in the troop. In the three
                years since we attended, six more Scouters have attended Wood Badge,
                three of which have already received their beads.

                Sandy Maines