RE: [Scouter_T] HELP .. woodbadge hanging/beading

  • Gary C Burkhardt
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      We call it a Wood Badge Bead Ceremony. I have one we used for Boy Scout
      Leader Wood Badge and there is one in the syllabus for 21st Century Wood
      Badge.

      Gary Burkhardt
      Suffolk County Council Training Chairman
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        At a minimum, the Course Director of his course, his advisor,
        and as many of his/her staff and the participant's patrol as can make
        it, are invited/attend. Notice is also given to Wood Badgers in your
        district so they will know to show up in Wood Badge regalia - WB
        neckerchief, woggle, and beads.

        Generally a team of 2, 4, or 6 stand at the head of the assembly
        area, with the candidate and a table with his new neckerchief,
        properly rolled, woggle, beads, and diploma. The Course Director
        requests all Wood Badge holders come up and form into a line
        behind the ceremony, and gives a short talk on Wood Badge, while one or
        more of the assisting staff or other presentors remove the
        participant's neckerchief and slide.

        One by one, individual presentors give a short informative talk
        on the history of the Wood Badge neckerchief, beads, and woggle,
        and then place the item on the participant. The senior member present,
        usually the Course Director presents the new Wood Badger with
        his diploma. THe assembled Wood Badge holders begin a congratulatory
        line.

        Dave
        I used to be a Bobwhite
        SE-273

        Ida Lively wrote:

        How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What is it *truly*
        called?

        ANY help here would be appreciated!

        Thanks!

        Ida

        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          I got my beads at RT, and another staff member, got his
          beads (along with ~ 4 others) two months ago at RT. I found
          it to be a wonderful experience and good advertising. We also
          did beading at our recent University of Scouting.

          A member of the WB staff should run the ceremony (coach
          counselor or course director).

          The biggest consideration is the time. We try to merge it
          with our refreshment time.

          > ----------
          > From: Ida Lively
          >

          > HELP!
          >
          > I've been approached by a young fellow who is to receive his Woodbadge
          > Beads.
          >
          > He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ... which is our Blue
          > and
          > Gold (pot luck) celebration.

        • Robert Braden
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            I think as long as you devise a plan that honors the person, you should be
            fine. Most beads are handed out at a court that honors adults (recognition)
            at the district level. I have never seen a troop level presentation.

            Robert Braden
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              Ida asked: ... When I asked our District Executive about the (Wood badge
              beading) ceremony he said, "It's like an Eagle Ceremony. He tells you that
              he wants it, sets it up and all you have to do is give him time in the
              program." That's wonderful, but that's not how my Troop does Eagle
              ceremonies. ... How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What is it
              *truly* called? ...

              Ida,

              The Wood Badge beads, neckerchief, woggle and certificate MUST be presented
              by one or more past members of a Wood Badge staff--"three-beader(s)" or
              "four-beader(s)". The recipient should choose the person(s) he or she wants
              as their presenter(s), and it is usually staff from their own course, often
              their Coach Counselor/Troop Guide, Course Director or Ticket Counselor.

              The ceremony itself I've heard called many things--a beading, beading
              ceremony, Wood Badge graduation, bead presentation, presentation of the Wood
              Badge paraphernalia, and so on. To me, beading doesn't sound respectful. I
              like either Wood Badge Recognition or Wood Badge Ceremony.

              What you DE said about the recipient setting it up is true and false. Yes,
              the honoree should contact the presenter(s) and make sure they can be there,
              but they will handle the ceremony itself. Usually, each item (neckerchief,
              woggle, beads and certificate) is presented with an explanation and history
              of the item's significance. Often there is an explanation of the commitment
              that is behind completing the Wood Badge, and a brief history of
              Baden-Powell and the reason he created it. Typically, the presenter will
              read the Kipling (?) poem from the trained certificate ("Who hath smelt
              wood-smoke at eventide...").

              In our district, if the room has a fair number of Wood Badge folks, we'll
              conclude with the Gilwell song. I've never seen that done anywhere but at
              our district RT, Pow-Wow, or at the WB recognition dinner, though.

              I'd give the presentation about 15 minutes in your program. Perhaps talk to
              the presenters and see if there's anything they need. I hope that helps!

              YiS,
              Sean
              WM-45-2-00 "I used to be a Buffalo..."
              W4-45-02 Troop Guide, honorary Owl
              W4-45-03 Scribe
            • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                Our troop calls the beading ceremony a Wood Badge Court of Honor. We hold it right after a Troop Court of Honor. It is opened by striking an axe in a log and closed by its removal. The presenter chooses the actual ceremony but it's a lot like what the others have described. We have all Wood Badgers who are present come forward for the ceremony. The Council held a beading ceremony at the last council camporee but I wasn't present to be able to report on it.

                Larry Ohs
                Troop 12 Assistant Scoutmaster
                Salt Valley District Training Committee
                Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
                "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  From my patrol all but two of the beadings were done at Round
                  Tables, the others were done at the Unit level. I've
                  also seen them done at District dinners and our Scouting
                  University. As I said before, beadings at district/council
                  events help publicize the next Wood Badge Course. Isn't
                  publicity one of the best ways to get people to take training?

                  Pete

                  > ----------

                • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2002
                    Robert Braden wrote: I have never seen a troop level presentation.

                    My wife got hers at a troop Court of Honor. She thought that it would be a
                    great demonstration that the adults work through requirements and receive
                    recognition as well. And after all, the ticket was written to strengthen our
                    troop, she thought that it would be appropriate.

                    Rick

                  • Dan Hammond, Sr.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
                      Ida Lively wrote in part:

                      "I've been approached by a young fellow who is to
                      receive his Woodbadge Beads.

                      He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ...

                      which is our Blue and Gold (pot luck) celebration."
                      <snip>

                      "How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What
                      is it *truly* called?"
                      <snip>

                      It's usually referred to as a "beading ceremony."

                      This link has several very good ceremonies that can be
                      used. Any are appropriate, and the version you choose
                      can be based on the amonut of time you have available
                      and the number of Wood Badge holders you have that
                      can/will participate.

                      http://www.woodbadge.org/Ceremonies/wbcere.htm

                      You can't hardly do it "wrong", but I do deplore the
                      "here are your beads, here is your neckechief, let me
                      help you put on the woggle" ceremonies that my
                      district usually does.

                      See if the young fellow you want to recognize can get
                      any of his fellow patrol members to attend. You might
                      even be able to enlist the help of one of the staffers
                      from his course or even his coach counselor.

                      Done properly, a beading ceremony has the same impact
                      on its observers as a good Eagle cermony. It makes
                      them think, "Some day I want to be there getting that
                      same recognition. That's cool!"

                      =====
                      Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
                      Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, MC T366
                      |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

                      Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • jsm516@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 14, 2002
                        My Scoutmaster and I both received out beads at a Troop Court of Honor.
                        Completion of our tickets were to the benefit of our troop, and we were
                        the first in the troop to have gone to Wood Badge. We wanted to
                        hopefully set the example for other Scouters in the troop. In the three
                        years since we attended, six more Scouters have attended Wood Badge,
                        three of which have already received their beads.

                        Sandy Maines