HELP .. woodbadge hanging/beading

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      HELP!

      I've been approached by a young fellow who is to receive his Woodbadge
      Beads.

      He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ... which is our Blue and
      Gold (pot luck) celebration.

      He leaves for backpacking/camping in the wilds of Montana in early February,
      so we really need to do this presentation before he leaves.

      When I asked our District Executive about the ceremony he said, "It's like
      an Eagle Ceremony. He tells you that he wants it, sets it up and all you
      have to do is give him time in the program." That's wonderful, but that's
      not how my Troop does Eagle ceremonies. (Our Troop honors the Eagle, but
      keeps it all (mostly) a secret so he is surprised at what the actual
      ceremony is.)

      How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What is it *truly* called?

      ANY help here would be appreciated!

      Thanks!

      Ida
    • Gary C Burkhardt
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        We call it a Wood Badge Bead Ceremony. I have one we used for Boy Scout
        Leader Wood Badge and there is one in the syllabus for 21st Century Wood
        Badge.

        Gary Burkhardt
        Suffolk County Council Training Chairman
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
          At a minimum, the Course Director of his course, his advisor,
          and as many of his/her staff and the participant's patrol as can make
          it, are invited/attend. Notice is also given to Wood Badgers in your
          district so they will know to show up in Wood Badge regalia - WB
          neckerchief, woggle, and beads.

          Generally a team of 2, 4, or 6 stand at the head of the assembly
          area, with the candidate and a table with his new neckerchief,
          properly rolled, woggle, beads, and diploma. The Course Director
          requests all Wood Badge holders come up and form into a line
          behind the ceremony, and gives a short talk on Wood Badge, while one or
          more of the assisting staff or other presentors remove the
          participant's neckerchief and slide.

          One by one, individual presentors give a short informative talk
          on the history of the Wood Badge neckerchief, beads, and woggle,
          and then place the item on the participant. The senior member present,
          usually the Course Director presents the new Wood Badger with
          his diploma. THe assembled Wood Badge holders begin a congratulatory
          line.

          Dave
          I used to be a Bobwhite
          SE-273

          Ida Lively wrote:

          How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What is it *truly*
          called?

          ANY help here would be appreciated!

          Thanks!

          Ida

          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
            I got my beads at RT, and another staff member, got his
            beads (along with ~ 4 others) two months ago at RT. I found
            it to be a wonderful experience and good advertising. We also
            did beading at our recent University of Scouting.

            A member of the WB staff should run the ceremony (coach
            counselor or course director).

            The biggest consideration is the time. We try to merge it
            with our refreshment time.

            > ----------
            > From: Ida Lively
            >

            > HELP!
            >
            > I've been approached by a young fellow who is to receive his Woodbadge
            > Beads.
            >
            > He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ... which is our Blue
            > and
            > Gold (pot luck) celebration.

          • Robert Braden
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
              I think as long as you devise a plan that honors the person, you should be
              fine. Most beads are handed out at a court that honors adults (recognition)
              at the district level. I have never seen a troop level presentation.

              Robert Braden

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                Ida asked: ... When I asked our District Executive about the (Wood badge
                beading) ceremony he said, "It's like an Eagle Ceremony. He tells you that
                he wants it, sets it up and all you have to do is give him time in the
                program." That's wonderful, but that's not how my Troop does Eagle
                ceremonies. ... How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What is it
                *truly* called? ...

                Ida,

                The Wood Badge beads, neckerchief, woggle and certificate MUST be presented
                by one or more past members of a Wood Badge staff--"three-beader(s)" or
                "four-beader(s)". The recipient should choose the person(s) he or she wants
                as their presenter(s), and it is usually staff from their own course, often
                their Coach Counselor/Troop Guide, Course Director or Ticket Counselor.

                The ceremony itself I've heard called many things--a beading, beading
                ceremony, Wood Badge graduation, bead presentation, presentation of the Wood
                Badge paraphernalia, and so on. To me, beading doesn't sound respectful. I
                like either Wood Badge Recognition or Wood Badge Ceremony.

                What you DE said about the recipient setting it up is true and false. Yes,
                the honoree should contact the presenter(s) and make sure they can be there,
                but they will handle the ceremony itself. Usually, each item (neckerchief,
                woggle, beads and certificate) is presented with an explanation and history
                of the item's significance. Often there is an explanation of the commitment
                that is behind completing the Wood Badge, and a brief history of
                Baden-Powell and the reason he created it. Typically, the presenter will
                read the Kipling (?) poem from the trained certificate ("Who hath smelt
                wood-smoke at eventide...").

                In our district, if the room has a fair number of Wood Badge folks, we'll
                conclude with the Gilwell song. I've never seen that done anywhere but at
                our district RT, Pow-Wow, or at the WB recognition dinner, though.

                I'd give the presentation about 15 minutes in your program. Perhaps talk to
                the presenters and see if there's anything they need. I hope that helps!

                YiS,
                Sean
                WM-45-2-00 "I used to be a Buffalo..."
                W4-45-02 Troop Guide, honorary Owl
                W4-45-03 Scribe
              • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                  Our troop calls the beading ceremony a Wood Badge Court of Honor. We hold it right after a Troop Court of Honor. It is opened by striking an axe in a log and closed by its removal. The presenter chooses the actual ceremony but it's a lot like what the others have described. We have all Wood Badgers who are present come forward for the ceremony. The Council held a beading ceremony at the last council camporee but I wasn't present to be able to report on it.

                  Larry Ohs
                  Troop 12 Assistant Scoutmaster
                  Salt Valley District Training Committee
                  Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
                  "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
                    From my patrol all but two of the beadings were done at Round
                    Tables, the others were done at the Unit level. I've
                    also seen them done at District dinners and our Scouting
                    University. As I said before, beadings at district/council
                    events help publicize the next Wood Badge Course. Isn't
                    publicity one of the best ways to get people to take training?

                    Pete

                    > ----------

                  • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2002
                      Robert Braden wrote: I have never seen a troop level presentation.

                      My wife got hers at a troop Court of Honor. She thought that it would be a
                      great demonstration that the adults work through requirements and receive
                      recognition as well. And after all, the ticket was written to strengthen our
                      troop, she thought that it would be appropriate.

                      Rick

                    • Dan Hammond, Sr.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 9, 2002
                        Ida Lively wrote in part:

                        "I've been approached by a young fellow who is to
                        receive his Woodbadge Beads.

                        He's asked that we do it at the January Roundtable ...

                        which is our Blue and Gold (pot luck) celebration."
                        <snip>

                        "How have you done Woodbadge Beading/Hangings? What
                        is it *truly* called?"
                        <snip>

                        It's usually referred to as a "beading ceremony."

                        This link has several very good ceremonies that can be
                        used. Any are appropriate, and the version you choose
                        can be based on the amonut of time you have available
                        and the number of Wood Badge holders you have that
                        can/will participate.

                        http://www.woodbadge.org/Ceremonies/wbcere.htm

                        You can't hardly do it "wrong", but I do deplore the
                        "here are your beads, here is your neckechief, let me
                        help you put on the woggle" ceremonies that my
                        district usually does.

                        See if the young fellow you want to recognize can get
                        any of his fellow patrol members to attend. You might
                        even be able to enlist the help of one of the staffers
                        from his course or even his coach counselor.

                        Done properly, a beading ceremony has the same impact
                        on its observers as a good Eagle cermony. It makes
                        them think, "Some day I want to be there getting that
                        same recognition. That's cool!"

                        =====
                        Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA
                        Leavenworth, KS, Army Major, NRA Life Member, Overtrained Scout Leader, Kaw District Membership Chairman, CM P3001, MC T366
                        |<--W-W-W--<<<| I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)

                        Cheerful Service; just because it's the right thing to do

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • jsm516@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 14, 2002
                          My Scoutmaster and I both received out beads at a Troop Court of Honor.
                          Completion of our tickets were to the benefit of our troop, and we were
                          the first in the troop to have gone to Wood Badge. We wanted to
                          hopefully set the example for other Scouters in the troop. In the three
                          years since we attended, six more Scouters have attended Wood Badge,
                          three of which have already received their beads.

                          Sandy Maines