Recognizing Trainers

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
      We recently concluded our Webelos Outdoor Training with a word to the
      participants to please go home and thank their families for filling in the
      gaps on the home front while they were away at training, for without the
      support of our families, we couldn't do what we do in Scouting.

      During the week that followed, I sent an email to all my trainers asking for
      some personal information, including names of spouse or significant other
      and children. I then sent a personal note to each of the spouses and
      children of the trainers thanking them for "loaning" their family member to
      us for Scout training and thanking them for being the most important part of
      our team, because without their support, their family member couldn't be a
      part of that team. My trainers were all surprised when the notes arrived at
      their homes and appreciated that gesture more than being recognized publicly
      for their contributions to training.

      From time to time we have found it necessary to schedule an outdoor training
      on Mother's Day weekend. At closing ceremony, we present each lady with a
      silk rose for spending "their weekend" at a Scouting activity and make the
      same roses available to the gentlemen to take home to their spouse. This
      gesture has also been very well received. Most of the gentlemen on the
      training team also take roses home.

      Judy Yeager
      NT District Training Chair, HOAC
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
        Laura asked: ... Currently, I am trying to figure out the amount of time the
        actual training takes for the Cub Scout Leader Specifics and the Baloo
        Training. ...

        Laura,

        BALOO will take eight hours for the "classroom" component. Depending on the
        amount of material you bring and the extent of your displays, plan on an
        additional 2-4 hours total for set-up and tear down for your trainers.

        YiS,
        Sean