Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Recognizing Trainers

  • cwilkins
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
      Recognition of accomplishment is what we do in Scouting. We teach our
      youth to respond to it and it's the ONLY reason that adults do anything
      in Scouting... So, if you keep that in mind, it makes it really easy to
      get youth and adults to do a zillion outstanding projects and events...
      if only for a small set of beads.

      There's only one thing I would add to the comments made: Send postcards
      to thank your training staff and attendees!

      Think of this... a postcard is only 23cents to mail, plus 25 cents on
      average to buy... and...here's the bonus:
      it's READ by everyone that handles it!

      Use of postcards is an exceptional way to make sure that people know YOU
      appreciate them and acknowledge THEIR contributions to the efforts of
      Scouting. Thanking people for making the investment of their time to
      learn their role is key to supplemental training attendance and their
      commitment to making their effort pay the dividends we really want:
      investment of time and quality program for the youth. Recognizing
      mentors for their involvement.

      Some amazing people have come forward and done some amazing things just
      because of that simple thank you that went out to them. Their families
      saw how important their time and energy was to do it. Yes, the
      investment of that 48 cents has made ALL the difference in our training
      programs.

      Recognizing people publicly at Roundtable or District dinners, or other
      situations is key to success, but it's soooooo much more valuable if you
      tell their family! Long term investment in training is what makes or
      breaks a successful training team. Getting long term commitment is
      easy, if you make a small investment.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Cristi Wilkins
      Cascade Pacific Council
      Portland, Oregon
    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
        We recently concluded our Webelos Outdoor Training with a word to the
        participants to please go home and thank their families for filling in the
        gaps on the home front while they were away at training, for without the
        support of our families, we couldn't do what we do in Scouting.

        During the week that followed, I sent an email to all my trainers asking for
        some personal information, including names of spouse or significant other
        and children. I then sent a personal note to each of the spouses and
        children of the trainers thanking them for "loaning" their family member to
        us for Scout training and thanking them for being the most important part of
        our team, because without their support, their family member couldn't be a
        part of that team. My trainers were all surprised when the notes arrived at
        their homes and appreciated that gesture more than being recognized publicly
        for their contributions to training.

        From time to time we have found it necessary to schedule an outdoor training
        on Mother's Day weekend. At closing ceremony, we present each lady with a
        silk rose for spending "their weekend" at a Scouting activity and make the
        same roses available to the gentlemen to take home to their spouse. This
        gesture has also been very well received. Most of the gentlemen on the
        training team also take roses home.

        Judy Yeager
        NT District Training Chair, HOAC
      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
          Laura asked: ... Currently, I am trying to figure out the amount of time the
          actual training takes for the Cub Scout Leader Specifics and the Baloo
          Training. ...

          Laura,

          BALOO will take eight hours for the "classroom" component. Depending on the
          amount of material you bring and the extent of your displays, plan on an
          additional 2-4 hours total for set-up and tear down for your trainers.

          YiS,
          Sean