Recognizing Trainers

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      In our council we've instituted a "Training Totem". Every Trainer on our
      team receives a totem and appropriate bead at the completion of their first
      training. (The cost of the totems and beads must be included in your
      training budget!)

      In addition, we present every trainer with a BSA training card appropriately
      marked STAFF during the awards ceremony at the completion of training. Some
      Course Directors add a certificate to this recognition.

      We recognize any 'NEW' trainers at the next Roundtable by having them stand
      up.

      As for recruiting: We announce (at least a couple of times a year) at
      Roundtable that we are taking requests for trainers. Anyone who wishes to be
      a trainer, can speak to anyone else on the training staff who then directs
      them to the appropriate Commissioner.

      Additionally, all Pack Trainers who have completed TDC are 'automatically'
      added to the training team (with notice). They can help with training such
      as BALOO, Cub College, and NLE/CSLBT.

      Remember, training is not necessarily standing in front of the group and
      speaking. It also includes set-up, registration and displays. These are
      great ways to ease the new trainers into the program. You can even have a
      new trainer assist an experienced trainer in giving the presentations. Just
      a couple minutes at a time is much easier than having to speak for half an
      hour or more!

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ida Lively

      P.S. When we started the totem in the spring, our Council Training Chairman,
      went back through the records for the previous 3 years and awarded beads for
      all training the trainers had attended ... as either a participant or a
      trainer. [If you're interested in receiving a breakdown of our beads,
      e-mail me and I'll reply off the list.]
    • Laura Kilby
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        I am attempting to organize the training materials I have from the District.

        Currently, I am trying to figure out the amount of time the actual training
        takes for the Cub Scout Leader Specifics and the Baloo Training.

        We are attempting to get the training back on track. The emphasis seems to
        be that the Districts have the direct training responsibility. I have the
        help of some terrific, knowledgeable people, but the lady who preceded me
        (she was wonderful!) moved into a much needed role of OA Chapter Advisor
        before she could get the committee organized. We've been operating between
        reacting and being proactive.

        I am attempting to schedule the bare minimum for next year (the proactive
        effort) and then conduct training that pops up as needed in various ways.

        I guess this e-mail is in two parts, First what are the time lengths for Cub
        Leader Specifics and Baloo training, and what are some suggestions for
        getting District training back on track?

        YiS,
        Laura Kilby
        Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
        Quivira Council, KS
        Who isn't anything with WoodBadge until the end of March :)
      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
          Hi Laura! Congrats on your new mission, having realistic goals is so smart.

          In my (fairly limited) experience BSA training materials are very good about
          telling you exactly how long they think a training should last, and they put
          it at the very front, on the schedule for the training event.

          With the Leader Specific training, each one is a little bit different. The
          page numbers are from the version I believe to be the latest - 34875, 2001.

          Tiger Cub Den Leader Training: 2 hrs, 35 minutes (p.11)
          Cub Scout Den Leader Training: 2 hrs, 40 min (p. 47)
          Webelos Den Leader Training: 2 hrs, 55 min (p. 83)
          Cubmaster Training: 2 hrs, 40 min (p. 129)
          Committee Mbr Training: 2 hrs, 40 min (p. 165)

          BALOO takes all day. The sample schedule starts at the training itself at
          9am and ends at 5pm.

          How to rejuvenate training? Hold some training sessions! Say you are going
          to have them, advertise them, and HAVE THEM even if the preregistrations (or
          lack of) have you quaking in your boots.

          Advertise! Talk at Roundtable about what you are doing, ask them what their
          packs need the most and when. If your district has a good email
          communications list, use it and make those folks your bestest friends. If
          your district doesn't have one, be sure you ask for email addresses on every
          training registration form and build your own Cub Scouter database. These
          people, once you have provided them with quality training, should always
          know when your next session is. They are your marketers. You gave them value
          and they know the rest of their pack leaders need it.

          Recruit the best. Find the people who are full of good ideas, who love Cub
          Scouting, who READ THE MATERIALS NATIONAL PROVIDES, who at least try to play
          by the rules, and who know the position you want them to teach. Those people
          are too busy to help you -- each and every one. I promise. Get them to help
          you anyway. Provide them all the support you can - have their handouts ready
          for them, get them their materials well in advance, get them a second
          trainer (and let the lead trainer have veto authority) to carry the load.
          Repeat every compliment about them that comes your way. If you chose well,
          you will have lots to repeat.

          Be sure to give evaluation forms at each session. Be sure to compile the
          results (good and less good) and share them with each trainer. Share the
          summaries and the best of the comments with your training chair, with the
          district chair, with anyone who will listen.

          Listen carefully. People will tell you what they need. In our district, our
          training was rejuvenated by WOLS. It had been offered several times and
          cancelled each time. I could not find ANYone who had ever seen the training
          done. It had become the touchpoint of frustration and disillusionment in our
          District. I took a deep breath and promised to make it happen, as my second
          training event. I promised to train 2 people if that's all showed up. ACK!
          I'm a committee chair! I don't DO outdoors! I was in waaay over my head, but
          piggybacked on OLS, shared some Boy Scout trainers, begged a couple more,
          made rash promises, made phone calls, prayed (lots of that), held my nose
          and jumped in. Was it perfect? Nope, it wasn't -- but it was good, and it
          proved to the 25 attendees that I would make training happen for them and
          meet their pack needs. From that group of trainees (some who had just come
          out of curiosity and weren't even Webelos leaders) I moved from "Teresa does
          training" to a fully staffed training committee with some very dedicated and
          enthusiastic trainers. Not that I didn't have some already -- and the best
          is very very very good -- but now WE have SEVERAL.

          I've rambled enough - but I just took this job a year ago and it's been a
          roller-coaster. Easily the most fun and one of the most rewarding volunteer
          jobs I've ever done. I can't wait to read the suggestions from everyone else
          -- this list is great for inspiration. And I can't wait to hear what you
          decide to do! Be sure to share your successes with us!

          Teresa Hall
          Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
          Vulcan District Cub Training Coord
          Greater AL Council
        • Debbie Beer
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            When I have done training these are the times for the courses that I taught.

            Youth protection and fast start - one hour
            NLE - 2 hours
            Specific - 4 hours
            Baloo - One eight hour day
            > I am attempting to organize the training materials I have from the
            District.

            > Currently, I am trying to figure out the amount of time the actual
            training
            > takes for the Cub Scout Leader Specifics and the Baloo Training.
            >
            > We are attempting to get the training back on track. The emphasis seems to
            > be that the Districts have the direct training responsibility. I have the
            > help of some terrific, knowledgeable people, but the lady who preceded me
            > (she was wonderful!) moved into a much needed role of OA Chapter Advisor
            > before she could get the committee organized. We've been operating between
            > reacting and being proactive.
            >
            > I am attempting to schedule the bare minimum for next year (the proactive
            > effort) and then conduct training that pops up as needed in various ways.
            >
            > I guess this e-mail is in two parts, First what are the time lengths for
            Cub
            > Leader Specifics and Baloo training, and what are some suggestions for
            > getting District training back on track?
            >
            > YiS,
            > Laura Kilby
            > Santa Fe Trail District Training Chairman
            > Quivira Council, KS
            > Who isn't anything with WoodBadge until the end of March :)

          • cwilkins
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
              Recognition of accomplishment is what we do in Scouting. We teach our
              youth to respond to it and it's the ONLY reason that adults do anything
              in Scouting... So, if you keep that in mind, it makes it really easy to
              get youth and adults to do a zillion outstanding projects and events...
              if only for a small set of beads.

              There's only one thing I would add to the comments made: Send postcards
              to thank your training staff and attendees!

              Think of this... a postcard is only 23cents to mail, plus 25 cents on
              average to buy... and...here's the bonus:
              it's READ by everyone that handles it!

              Use of postcards is an exceptional way to make sure that people know YOU
              appreciate them and acknowledge THEIR contributions to the efforts of
              Scouting. Thanking people for making the investment of their time to
              learn their role is key to supplemental training attendance and their
              commitment to making their effort pay the dividends we really want:
              investment of time and quality program for the youth. Recognizing
              mentors for their involvement.

              Some amazing people have come forward and done some amazing things just
              because of that simple thank you that went out to them. Their families
              saw how important their time and energy was to do it. Yes, the
              investment of that 48 cents has made ALL the difference in our training
              programs.

              Recognizing people publicly at Roundtable or District dinners, or other
              situations is key to success, but it's soooooo much more valuable if you
              tell their family! Long term investment in training is what makes or
              breaks a successful training team. Getting long term commitment is
              easy, if you make a small investment.

              Yours in Scouting,

              Cristi Wilkins
              Cascade Pacific Council
              Portland, Oregon
            • Judy Yeager
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
                We recently concluded our Webelos Outdoor Training with a word to the
                participants to please go home and thank their families for filling in the
                gaps on the home front while they were away at training, for without the
                support of our families, we couldn't do what we do in Scouting.

                During the week that followed, I sent an email to all my trainers asking for
                some personal information, including names of spouse or significant other
                and children. I then sent a personal note to each of the spouses and
                children of the trainers thanking them for "loaning" their family member to
                us for Scout training and thanking them for being the most important part of
                our team, because without their support, their family member couldn't be a
                part of that team. My trainers were all surprised when the notes arrived at
                their homes and appreciated that gesture more than being recognized publicly
                for their contributions to training.

                From time to time we have found it necessary to schedule an outdoor training
                on Mother's Day weekend. At closing ceremony, we present each lady with a
                silk rose for spending "their weekend" at a Scouting activity and make the
                same roses available to the gentlemen to take home to their spouse. This
                gesture has also been very well received. Most of the gentlemen on the
                training team also take roses home.

                Judy Yeager
                NT District Training Chair, HOAC
              • Sean Scott
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
                  Laura asked: ... Currently, I am trying to figure out the amount of time the
                  actual training takes for the Cub Scout Leader Specifics and the Baloo
                  Training. ...

                  Laura,

                  BALOO will take eight hours for the "classroom" component. Depending on the
                  amount of material you bring and the extent of your displays, plan on an
                  additional 2-4 hours total for set-up and tear down for your trainers.

                  YiS,
                  Sean