Re: [Scouter_T] Trainer Qualifications

  • Chris Jacobi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
      At 10:52 AM 12/1/2002 , you wrote:
      >If trainers are elevated to a position of importance, has it helped
      >substantially or is there a feeling of elitism?

      Just my personal hesitation: Make it easy to recruit trainers. If
      there is too much visibility, some people will not dare to "help out"
      at training.

      Chris

      Chris Jacobi
      Training Chair Stanford District, PSC
    • Debbie Beer
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
        In our council we have not really done allot to recognize our trainers. It
        seems that the same people are usually involved in training throughout the
        council. The only special recognition we get is the fellowship that we have
        developed with eachother and those we train. (plus we have a great time
        together)

        I was told just recently that the council invites trainers, not everyone is
        accepted as a trainer. I guess I never really knew that until a week ago.
        Somehow that makes me a little nervous, and just a little special that I am
        allowed to continue as a trainer.

        Maybe special recognition in the council newsletter saying who the trainers
        are in the council and what they do for training might be a nice way to
        encourage others to get involved in training.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
          Chris, et al...

          From my experience in the Greater New York Councils, the Trainers on any
          course we run are always recognized by the Course Director or Training Chair
          at the close of the course. On courses that span more than a few hours, such
          as the old SMF/SLT, ITOLS, OWL/Webelos Woods, WB, etc..., we usually make
          some special trinket for the staff as well as the thank-you's at the end. It
          may be a bolo, a slide, patch, armband or something along those lines. This
          not only identifies them as staff, but allows for a feeling of a special
          uniqueness. But, in reality, they are just adept interpreters, translating
          the rules of the program into terms other leaders can understand.

          We've had trainers that have less actual experience than those they are
          training, but they are exceptional at conveying the concept of a particular
          aspect of the scouting methods. One example we had was an 11 year old
          demonstrating the safe use of wood tools, and fire making techniques, during
          an ITOLS course, to veteran leaders who never really learned these things,
          no less how to teach them to their own units. Others are the people who
          complete their basic, and are on that courses staff next year.

          I myself avoided training as a CM for several years. When I finally was
          coerced into going to Cub Leader Basic, I was hooked. I saw the dedication
          in those running the course, and how committed they were to helping the
          students understand the ways of Cubing. I jumped in head first after I
          completed SMF. That was some time ago, and I have been a proponent of
          developing good leaders ever since. I try to be a part of every course I
          can.

          My opinion on the qualifications for a trainer, in any realm, is someone
          that is able to translate the details of a skill or procedure in a way that
          affords easy learning in a comfortable environment, remember, KISMIF. Those
          with this ability should be recognized by their peers and usually are, by
          way of being asked to continue! Sure, the trinkets and doodads are nice, but
          after a while they just become part of the collection or another thing on
          the wall. The "Old Timers'' on our training team get their satisfaction when
          they see someone come back as a staffer and bring friends as participants.
          That is when you know you are doing a good thing, when the students come
          back to help you.

          Usually people who are really good at something want to help others. It is
          our task to find them and bring their talents to the surface. We Can do this
          with ease if we keep our eyes open and forget about the "elitism" Chris
          Finnegan mentioned.

          Good trainers / teachers are important and elite, but in the most humble
          way. They are the key to the youth getting the program as it was designed,
          and the leaders they help to do this are the real special people. It is much
          harder to be a unit leader than it is to be a trainer. Those that we teach
          are the real shapers of tomorrows leaders.

          I find being an SA in an active troop very stressful, but I am at complete
          ease on a training course. I once heard an old adage, "Those who can, Do -
          Those who can't, Teach". Luckily, I am a good translator.

          Sorry about the lengthy diatribe, but this is something I believe in.

          YiS & B
          James Gallo
          SA, T-20
          Leadership Development