Re: WLOT/OWL

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2002
      Dan,

      The following is cut and pasted from the September 2001 issue of
      Scouting Magazine, News Briefs column
      <http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/archives/0109/d-news.html>.
      "No changes in Webelos Leader Outdoor Training
      Release of new Basic Leader Training materials has resulted in some
      confusion regarding the status of Webelos Leader Outdoor Training.

      There are no changes in Webelos Leader Outdoor Training. The course
      outline is in the publication Cub Scout Leader Training (BSA No.
      34700).

      Webelos Leader Outdoor Training is supplemental training and is not
      required for a Webelos leader to be considered "trained." It is,
      however, a requirement for earning the Webelos Den Leader Award."

      At his point, I recommend getting your hands on the old Cub Scout
      Leader Basic Training syllabus and run the one day version of the
      course.

      I also am hoping to receive the new material soon so that we can plan a
      course in the Spring.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2002
        Ken, I'm going to transcribe the article for us all, as I think it is
        relevant. I will also be glad to fax it if you like.

        Citing this is the trouble. What I have is one Xeroxed page, page 147. There
        is no publication name on the page. The section I am quoting is entitled
        "News Notes." I was given the page by my District Training Chair, who said 2
        weeks ago that "it comes from the most recent addition of the publication
        the professionals get."
        *******************
        NEW CUB SCOUT LEADER TRAINING MATERIALS OUT SOON!
        A variety of task forces have bene busy the past few months. The results of
        their labor will be available next month in the form of new Cub Scout leader
        training materials. Here's what to expect.

        Cub Leader Fast Start, AV-01V022. This package of position-specific video
        programs accompanied by a Cub Scout Leader Fast Start View Guide, AV-01G022,
        should be available by mid-November. Each program gives leaders information
        on planning and conducting their first meeting, and even demonstrates one
        they can use. Five segments are included in the video:
        *Tiger Cub Den Leader
        *Cub Scout Den Leader
        *Webelos Den Leader
        *Cubmaster
        *Pack Committee
        Pack-administered self-study is the primary method of delivery for Fast
        Start training. A pack trainer should be responsible for ensuring that all
        untrained leaders in their pack view this important video.

        Basic Leader Training Self-Study Guide for Cub Scout Leaders. The contents
        of New Leader Specific Training and all five modules of Cub Scout Leader
        Specific Training have been adapted to a self-study module.

        Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders. This publication can stand alone
        as outdoor skills training for Webelos leaders, or it can be conducted along
        with Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills for Boy Scout troop and Venturing
        crew adult leaders.

        Den Chief Training. A new den chief training course guide has been written
        and should also be out to councils by mid-November.

        *********
        There you have it. Someone else can probably provide a good cite with the
        information provided above. Ken, if you still want a faxed copy, let me
        know.

        Teresa Hall
        Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
        Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
        Greater AL Council

        Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:56:18 -0600
        From: Teresa Hall <tphall@...>

        ... Also there is a magazine or newsletter of some kind that the
        professional staff receives that had, in its most recent edition, a
        half-page of information on Cub Scout Training News. One of the items
        was the new OLS for Webelos Leaders course, to be offered either as a
        stand-alone course or in tandem with OLS. I have a copy of the page at
        home (where I am not), but I think they said it was due out
        mid-November. If no one else is able to clarify, I will transcribe the
        exact information this evening.

        Teresa Hall
      • Kevin Pate
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 19, 2002
          Teresa,
          I imagine the reference to page 147 from:

          > ... the most recent addition of the publication
          > the professionals get."

          is a reference to a BSA publication for profressional
          Scouters called, appropriately enough, ProSpeak.

          I don't know the publication table, so I can't say
          which edition is the most recent.

          Kevin from Norman, America
          who will shed no tears over Max getting the Ax
          from Cub Fast Start Training tapes

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com
        • Ken Todd
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2002
            Teresa,

            Thank you for the information. I heard on Tuesday that I should be
            receiving the new IOLS for Webelos Leaders in February. Of course I
            was expecting to receive last June as well. I know that was test
            session was to hold IOLS, IOLS for Webelos Leaders, and BALOO at the
            same site on the same day. I will be interested to compare and see if
            it is possible. My guess that it would be best if that is done to have
            3 separate courses sharing the same instructors rotating between the
            courses.

            You do not need to fax the document since you typed into an e-mail
            message.

            Have a great holiday.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Ken