Re: [Scouter_T] New poll for scouter_t

  • Jon Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 10 4:47 PM
      I connected to web page indicated but got an error message
      that I am not a member of the group. Yet I received the
      email in the first place which should indicate that I'm a
      member of the group. I was already connected with my
      browser to the Scouter_T web site and had already logged
      in. Can anyone shed light on why I can't get into the Polls
      site?

      YIS,
      Jon

      scouter_t@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for
      > the
      > scouter_t group:
      >
      > A feature we have within this group is
      > "Polls". If you have a question that
      > you would like to do in Poll format,
      > feel free to write one. This Poll will
      > be active for 4 days.
      >
      > Within our group of trainers, what Wood
      > Badge events have you been involved
      > with? Check all those that apply.
      >
      > o BS Wood Badge - attended
      > o BS Wood Badge - staff
      > o BS Wood Badge - director
      > o CS Trainer Wood Badge - attended
      > o CS Trainer Wood Badge - staff
      > o CS Trainer Wood Badge - director
      > o 21st Century Wood Badge - attended
      > o 21st Century Wood Badge - staff
      > o 21st Century Wood Badge - director

      > not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the
      > Yahoo! Groups
      > web site listed above.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > [Image]Register

      > of Service.
    • Wendell Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 10 7:19 PM
        On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:47:07 -0500, Jon Smith wrote:

        >I connected to web page indicated but got an error message
        >that I am not a member of the group. Yet I received the
        >email in the first place which should indicate that I'm a
        >member of the group. I was already connected with my
        >browser to the Scouter_T web site and had already logged
        >in. Can anyone shed light on why I can't get into the Polls
        >site?

        Check out this URL.

      • rhowe
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 10 7:51 PM
          Not sure Jon.

          I accessed the poll in the last 30 minutes.

          I keep forgetting my ID and had to find it. I kept the original message
          when I signed in.
          Do you have your original e-mail with your ID and Pass word

          ray howe
          scouter

        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 10 9:02 PM
            Wendell,
            I have tried using the ID and Password I had originally used and got
            rejected. I requested
            my account data from Yahoo and got confirmation that both the account
            name and password I had uswed were correct, yet Yahoo still won't log me
            into the system.

            Perhaps there is a reason that this service is called Yahoo.

            Dave

            Wendell Brown wrote:

            > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 19:47:07 -0500, Jon Smith wrote:
            >
            > >I connected to web page indicated but got an error message
            > >that I am not a member of the group. Yet I received the
            > >email in the first place which should indicate that I'm a
            > >member of the group. I was already connected with my
            > >browser to the Scouter_T web site and had already logged
            > >in. Can anyone shed light on why I can't get into the Polls
            > >site?
            >
            > Check out this URL.

            To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click
            on the mailto: address below

            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
            164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
            Greenland, NH 03840
            Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
            possit materiari?
          • Brant Lippincott
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 11 4:21 PM
              Hi all!

              Yahoo is not too user-friendly in actually getting signed on - if you don't
              know your user ID and or password. I'm not sure when this list was actually
              started, but if i was back in the old eGroups days, it's even more
              difficult.

              Hopefully, this should get you around the problem.

              you know it, type in your userid & password. You should have been sent this
              is a very early email. The problem is that you can sign up for a group
              without actually visiting the site. In this case, you are an email only
              user. Click on the "Click here to convert" link. You can then enter your
              email address and password, if you know it. Otherwise just enter your email
              address. At that point, I think it will send you your password. (I can't
              test this, 'cause I'm already a member.) Anyway, follow the prompts and
              you'll get there.

              If you've been to the site before and registered, it knows your ID and
              password and a few other pertinent facts about you. DOB, home ZIP, etc.
              Follow the prompts. It asks questions and then reminds you about your
              password.

              Hope this helps.

              For the Boys,
              Brant Lippincott

            • corinnajones@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 10, 2006
                Sorry, but my answer does not quite fit what you might be looking for, and I hope it's okay to post this for all.
                This is a quote from my Council's website: "Youth Protection Training (YPT) is a required course for all adults who work with Scouts (registered adults and non-registered adults)"
                In a way I could respond "yes", but I think our requirement is stricter, and I like it that way.
                Thanks,
                Corinna
                Pack Trainer
                Troop Committee Member
                Unit Commissioner
                Detroit Area Council
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 11, 2006
                  My response must be qualified as well. We require YP training, and require that it be redone every two years. However, leaders receive their trained strip after completing the standard NLE/POS for their position.

                  Pack Trainer
                  Pack 512
                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  Cub Scout Training Chair
                  Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                  3 Rivers District

                  In a message dated 04/10/06 14:39:29 Central Daylight Time, corinnajones@... writes:
                  Sorry, but my answer does not quite fit what you might be looking for,

                • Scouter Chuck
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 11, 2006
                    Ken wrote...

                    > Our Council follows the BSA guidelines. Therefore, we do not
                    > require Youth Protection training to earn the Trained patch, or
                    > be listed as Trained in ScoutNet. We only require Youth
                    > Protection for those training awards where it is listed as a
                    > requirement on the form.

                    I believe our Council does the same.

                    At least one leader must be YPT trained in order for the unit to
                    camp at the summer camp. YPT is required to be retaken every
                    three years, but is _encouraged_ to be retaken every 2 years.

                    No one is discouraged from taking it every year. ;)

                    BTW, aren't we supposed to be doing this on the poll site? ;)

                    I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                    -- Stephen R. Covey
                  • Ilively@adelphia.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2006
                      Well, since the Exec. board met yesterday, I can now say ...

                      Juniata Valley Council has decided to make YP a mandatory training.

                      That's all I know. I don't know frequency of required updates, etc. I just know that YP is going to be 'required.'

                      I'm hoping to get a big e-mail from the Scout Exec so that I can know what I'm supposed to tell my people.

                      Ida
                      - Nittany Mountain District Training Chair
                    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2006
                        Hi Ida,
                        For some time in my council, it's been mandatory for at
                        least one adult on a trip requiring a tour permit to have
                        the training.

                        Pete Mullaney

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 22, 2009
                          What is a “legacy”?  That which Scouting inherited and developed from Baden-Powell, or that which we are creating; what we want it to be 100 years from now?  I’d say our desired future legacy would be our mission fulfilled – a world full of people making ethical choices throughout their lives. I don’t see a core value as being a legacy.

                          Character is a collection of values, not a value in itself.  Nor are Outdoors or Achievement considered values either.   Leadership – is that really a value? Attila the Hun was a leader.

                          Frank Toothaker

                          --- On Mon, 6/22/09, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Enter your vote today!  A new poll has been created for the
                          scouter_t group:

                          A Year of Celebration – A Century of Making a Difference is an awards program developed specially for the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. There are five awards, each based on one of the five core values of the Boy Scouts of America: one for Leadership, Achievement, Community Service, Character and the Outdoors. Which of these 5 core values do you consider Scouting's Legacy?

                            o Character
                            o Leadership
                            o Service
                            o Outdoors
                            o Achievement

                        • Richard C. Pushies
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 22, 2009
                            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Frank Toothaker <ftooth@...> wrote: "What is a legacy?"

                            Hi Frank,

                            The idea of a legacy is new in my Scouting world. Let me share with you what the BSA is saying about this idea. This may not be word for word correct, but the message is true. BSA says, "a "legacy" is a thing of value that is handed down from generation to generation. An enduring gift of knowledge, adventure, self confidence and character passed from elder to youth, Scout to Scout through generations of Americans."

                            I started this poll just because this concept and definition of the legacy of Scouting is so new I believe it is worth our discussion. The BSA in fact now identifies one of the 5 core values as the legacy of Scouting. We may agree or disagree with their definition, but is a definition being communicated by the BSA as their view on what the legacy of Scouting is to them.

                            So what is your choice? Character, Leadership, Service, Outdoors, or Achievement? All have importance to Scouting only one is defined by the BSA as the legacy of Scouting.

                            Yours Truly in Scouting,
                            Rick
                          • Richard C. Pushies
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 29, 2009
                              I have closed the poll on the legacy of Scouting. You can look at the poll to see the results.

                              According to the BSA the legacy of Scouting is Leadership!

                              This definition is according to the new "This is Scouting" training video. In this video the BSA defines "legacy" as a thing of value that is handed down from generation to generation. An enduring gift of knowledge, adventure, self confidence and character passed from elder to youth, Scout to Scout through generations of Americans. It is in this context that the BSA has clearly defined the legacy of Scouting as leadership.

                              As I have been intimately involved in the leadership training of youth and adult volunteers for many years in Scouting I easily accept this new definition. I also understand others may not.

                              Yours Truly in Scouting,
                              Rick Pushies
                            • Rick Rambo
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 29, 2009
                                According to the BSA the legacy of Scouting is Leadership!

                                SOOOOOOooooo,

                                Does anyone have an opinion regarding the overwhelming difference of opinion
                                between those who took the poll and the "correct" answer?

                                I, too agree that Leadership is a lasting legacy of Scouting. I see this in
                                my own life and others who have been involved with Scouting - that they are
                                often times the default choices for leaders in various situations.

                                However, I believe that Character is a necessary component of true
                                leadership. I am sure you have seen people that have been placed in a
                                leadership role, but lack Character. More often than not, they end up
                                ultimately failing in their attempt at Leadership.

                                Just my two cents, looking forward to reading others'.

                                Rick Rambo

                                Bunches of trainings and Wood Badges

                                Currently RT Commissioner

                                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination,
                                or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and
                                evidence." -John Adams

                                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
                                Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

                              • gottshalld@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 29, 2009
                                  Rick,

                                  Real leadership dies back in 1972.

                                  Leadership was not a method of Scouting prior to 1972, with the advent of the Leadership Corps.

                                  All references to leadership before 1972 was a by-product of effective use of the patrol method.

                                  Patrols elected leaders.? Patrol members learned leadership by direct observation and participation as part of an engaged patrol member, not by attending some management class with contrived examples.

                                  I can only hope that patrol management is a short-lived legacy.

                                  Dave Gottshall

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 30, 2009
                                    Hi Dave,

                                    Thanks for sharing your perspective. I do not understand your perspective, but I appreciate that you took the time to share.

                                    You wrote, "Real leadership dies back in 1972." What? I do not understand this comment, please explain. What do you characterize as "real leadership" in this statrment? Do we now have unreal leadership in Scouting?

                                    You wrote, "Leadership was not a method of Scouting prior to 1972, with the advent of the Leadership Corps." Yet Lord Baden-Powell is quoted as saying "Every boy deserves a trained leader." Leaders provide leadership in my book. The Boy Scouts of America included leadership as one of the 8 methods of Scouting for a reason. You seem to believe that was a mistake, is that correct?

                                    Teaching effective leadership skills to Scouts increases their ability to be good leaders.

                                    You wrote, "Patrols elected leaders.?" It is my understanding that the election of patrol leaders still takes place at the troop level. When I first became a Scoutmaster in 1980 my Scouts elected patrol leaders and they are electing patrol leaders in my grandson's troop today. What is your point?

                                    You wrote, "Patrol members learned leadership by direct observation and participation as part of an engaged patrol member, . . ." Observing the example of a good patrol leader is still a valid way to learn. But, what if the current patrol leader is a terrible leader? Does the observed poor performance of a patrol leader then become the standard of leadership for all the patrol members? Teaching first aid in this manner would not be very effective, would it?

                                    ". . ., not by attending some management class with contrived examples." Your definition of managment and mine must differ. I was taught that you manage things and lead people. Please share your definition of the terms management and leadership because I do not understand your position. "Contrived examples" is an interesting choice of words. Please provide an explanation of what you mean.

                                    You wrote,"I can only hope that patrol management is a short-lived legacy." Well, it appears that the Boy Scouts of America sees things differently than you as they have defined leadership as the legacy of Scouting. I agree with the Boy Scouts of America and do not understand your perspective at all. I hope the legacy of leadership in Scouting endures for another hundred years!

                                    My favorite quotation on leadership comes from Napolean and he said, "A leaders is a dealer in hope." What say you?

                                    Yours Truly in Scouting,
                                    Rick Pushies