Re: [Scouter_T] first aid scenarios

  • Jan Badertscher
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11 1:42 PM

      We have done a first-aid trail at some of our District Webelos and Boy Scout outings. We were fortunate enough to have EMT's that enjoyed creating mock, but realistic looking injuries for the activities. The boys would walk the trail and as they came upon each victim they would identify the problem requiring first-aid and describe to an older youth, that was assigned to that station, how to treat the injury. We had stations that reflected the types of injuries that my sister has treated in the emergency room at the Evanston, Wyoming hospital, injuries to scouts on scout trips. Some of the injuries that we have done include:

      snake bite
      black widow bite
      bee stings
      skunk or other wild animal bite (boys are taught to assume animal may be rabid)
      bear attack
      sprained ankle
      fish hook in hand
      large sliver
      burns (all degrees)
      head injury
      knife cut
      impaled eye
      broken teeth
      broken bones (leg, arm)
      abdominal impaling
      ax in the shin bone
      nail in foot
      back injuries

      These have all been fun to do and the greatest compliment was when one father got sick from looking at one of the victims during lunch. Our EMT's were all patting themselves on the back for such a realistic make-up job, of course we promptly moved all of the victims to a more secluded dining area after that. This can be a lot of fun and the boys will learn the material better and have a visual aid for recall.

      Have Fun

      Jan B.

      >>> darleen.jeske@... 11/11/02 01:23PM >>>

      I've been asked to come up with various scenarios for training our Scouts
      -- preparing them for upcoming first aid meets as well as life in general.
      Rather than recreate the wheel, I was curious if any of you might have some
      general scenarios already made up from past first aid meets, etc. that you
      might be willing to share with me.

      Thanks in advance,

      Darleen Jeske
      Potawatomi Area Council

      This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
      confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
      copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
      reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.