RE: [Scouter_T] Another BALOO question

  • Teresa Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
      Thank you, Richard.

      I agree that axes and saws have no business in Cub Scouts hands, that was
      never the intent. However, the BALOO is directed towards adults with few
      outdoors skills how to conduct a pack campout with boys AND FAMILY MEMBERS.
      The boys are a snap. Take them out and they are happy. Provide a program?
      They'll participate. Leave them without a program? They'll collect bugs and
      have leaf boat races and run for hours. In my experience, the problems in
      pack campouts come from the parents. And not necessarily in any malicious or
      ill-meant way, just parents who haven't pored through G2SS and don't even
      consider why you don't do certain things with Scouts. Educate, educate,
      educate, educate. I'll bet I can find an extra few minutes to tuck some axe
      safety in BALOO next time -- and I'll guarantee we'll have an adult-only
      axeyard pack campout, or a "split it before you come" rule.

      Teresa
      Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
      Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
      Greater AL Council
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
        --- Teresa Hall <tphall@...> wrote:
        > ... I can find an extra few minutes to tuck some
        > axe safety in BALOO next time -- and I'll guarantee
        > we'll have an adult-only axeyard pack campout, or
        > a "split it before you come" rule.

        If you opt for the latter, you need only add about 15
        seconds to the BALOO syllabus.
        For campfire wood, you either use dead wood that
        you find on the ground (if permissible at your
        site location) or you bring in your own wood.
        In either instance, the safe use of axes should be
        saved for Boy Scout events.
        For the protection of all your Scouts and their
        be brought to your pack overnighter and a pack
        overnighter is not the proper environment to wow
        your pack families with a Paul Bunyon routine.
        Our next topic is ....

        Kevin from Norman, America
        who can't think of one good reason for an
        axe to be a special guest at a pack overnighter.
        But then, I've yet to fathom why Cub/Webelos
        resident camps will sell a hot spark to any
        Cub/Webelos Scout who wanders into the trading
        post with a few quarters in his pocket.

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2