Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Atheist Eagle Scout Gets Ultimatum

  • Debbie Beer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2002
      Remember! This young man said he was an Atheist. He has no religion. This
      is not about tolerance of another religion. It is about this young man
      having no religion and taking an oath that says Duty to God. He has no
      respect for that oath or anything it stands for.

      Scouting teaches values. One of the most sacred values is to be a man of
      your word.

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., Chris Jacobi <jacobi@a...> wrote:
        > Such stories make me sad. What is wrong with us that
        > we can't survive a person with different religion?

        We don't have an issue with different religions. One can believe any
        religion and be involved in scouting.

        The person in question is an atheist. That means is he 'has no
        religion'.

        Also, HE made an issue of it. The council tried to be resonable,
        even telling him to say he 'believed in mother nature' or the like
        and it would be ok. Further, he wants to eliminate 'duty to God'
        from Scouting. Sorry, but that's a fundamental principle of
        Scouting. Without it, it isn't scouting.

        To try to tie it back with the topic of this group: Training, let me
        add this.

        This issue shows two issues that can be addressed by training:

        * What is Scouting? Too many people don't understand this. Its
        clearly covered in training, but how many take it, or take it and not
        pay attention to it.

        * What do we mean by "Duty to God"? Too many take the attitude that
        you have to be a member of a church/etc., be Christian/Jewish, etc.
        which causes problems for youth. Boys going for Eagle are NOT
        required to have a letter from a religious leader if they aren't a
        member of a formal religious group. I read that one council turned
        away a muslim boy because "Scoutings only for Christians and Jews".
        And some 'new age spiritual types' have formed a rival 'scouting
        group' because they have been made unwelcome in the BSA. I think a
        lot of this could be solved by better training in this area.

        Michael Brown