RE: [Scouter_T] Another BALOO question

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
      I think the issue is rules for the adults using axes and saws to safeguard
      the children. I could see a desire to teach some of the basic of axe safety
      to the adults. It also serves to remind them that the cubs don't use axes.

      Richard Damon
      Pack Trainer, Pack 306
      Member of Committee, Troup 302
      Boston Minuteman Council
      Arlington, MA
      --
      rbrdamon@... (Home)
      rdamon@... (Work)

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
        Richard Damon wrote...

        > I think the issue is rules for the adults using axes and saws to safeguard
        > the children. I could see a desire to teach some of the basic of axe safety
        > to the adults. It also serves to remind them that the cubs don't use axes.

        Excellent point.
        Rule for cubs and Webelos with axes: (With apologies to Eddie
        the Eagle)
        1. Stop!
        2. Don't Touch!
        3. Walk Away. ;)

        Rule for Adults with axes at a Cub event:
        Handle it properly and carefully. Remember, the boys are watching
        you. They will only remember the things that you do wrong.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
        Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • Teresa Hall
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
          Thank you, Richard.

          I agree that axes and saws have no business in Cub Scouts hands, that was
          never the intent. However, the BALOO is directed towards adults with few
          outdoors skills how to conduct a pack campout with boys AND FAMILY MEMBERS.
          The boys are a snap. Take them out and they are happy. Provide a program?
          They'll participate. Leave them without a program? They'll collect bugs and
          have leaf boat races and run for hours. In my experience, the problems in
          pack campouts come from the parents. And not necessarily in any malicious or
          ill-meant way, just parents who haven't pored through G2SS and don't even
          consider why you don't do certain things with Scouts. Educate, educate,
          educate, educate. I'll bet I can find an extra few minutes to tuck some axe
          safety in BALOO next time -- and I'll guarantee we'll have an adult-only
          axeyard pack campout, or a "split it before you come" rule.

          Teresa
          Pack 321 CC, Bluff Park UMC
          Vulcan District Cub Training Chair
          Greater AL Council

          >The biggest lack in BALOO, as I see it tonight, is information on
          >appropriate safety guidelines for uses of axes and saws -- ie, woodyard
          >information

          These are not part of BALOO training because these are not age
          appropriate activities for cub scouts. (Personally I even get scarred
          sometimes when BOY scouts use axes)

          Chris

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
            --- Teresa Hall <tphall@...> wrote:
            > ... I can find an extra few minutes to tuck some
            > axe safety in BALOO next time -- and I'll guarantee
            > we'll have an adult-only axeyard pack campout, or
            > a "split it before you come" rule.

            If you opt for the latter, you need only add about 15
            seconds to the BALOO syllabus.
            For campfire wood, you either use dead wood that
            you find on the ground (if permissible at your
            site location) or you bring in your own wood.
            In either instance, the safe use of axes should be
            saved for Boy Scout events.
            For the protection of all your Scouts and their
            be brought to your pack overnighter and a pack
            overnighter is not the proper environment to wow
            your pack families with a Paul Bunyon routine.
            Our next topic is ....

            Kevin from Norman, America
            who can't think of one good reason for an
            axe to be a special guest at a pack overnighter.
            But then, I've yet to fathom why Cub/Webelos
            resident camps will sell a hot spark to any
            Cub/Webelos Scout who wanders into the trading
            post with a few quarters in his pocket.

            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2