Re: [Cub-Scout-Talk] BALOO mandate delayed?

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2002
      I believe that there are two different issues to remember here.

      BALOO became a required training for any pack wanting to have an Pack
      Overnighter beginning January 1, 2001--at least one person involved in the
      planning and implementation of the campout had to have BALOO. Later,
      confusion arose over whether the BALOO trained person had to actually
      *attend* the campout, and rumor had it that National was going to amend that
      to the requirement, probably in 2003. Though not clear, my understanding was
      that the attendance part was in the original intent of the training.

      National requirements are not something that local councils have the option
      to override, nor are individual councils given an option as to whether
      they'll have to follow the rules. They can make more restrictive rules,
      though. If a local council says you have to have them attend today, that's
      alocal rule. But a council can't (legally) say that the pack doesn't have to
      have a BALOO trained person in the pack, any more than they can tell you
      that you don't have to follow 2-deep leadership or that you can go hang
      gliding.

      Remember, your district or council not offering the training is not an
      excuse to bypass the requirement. Safe Swim and Safety Afloat are required
      for certain outings, just as YPT, but if they're not made available to you,
      would you expect council to issue a tour permit anyway? In fact, this is the
      perfect opportunity to pressure the leadership into providing the training
      and raise their awareness!

      Hmm, I wonder if I could interest people in an online BALOO training via
      webcast...... No worries over rain like our BALOO course yesterday...

      YiS,
      Sean