BALOO delay?

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
      >Today at our University of Scouting an announcement was made that: the
      >policy of requiring a BALOO trained leader to attend pack campouts has
      >been delayed until January, 2004.
      >That's a 'reprieve' of a year for those of us who have not been able to
      >provide BALOO training.
      >
      >Can anyone else confirm or deny this? Personally I did not hear the
      >announcement as I was setting up for my first class. Later in the day
      >professional told me that the powers in Irving's H&S and Risk Management
      >have delayed the mandate for a year.

      Well, since it was originally implemented as mandatory for Pack camping as of
      September 2001, I doubt it. Anyone care to comment? (I just sent a query to
      National about it, if you want to wait to see what I get back <G>)

      BTW, BALOO is a great little day's course-- we have given it several times
      and the response is uniformly positive. It's a terrific foundation for the
      following camping-oriented courses, OWL (in whatever form it ends up) and
      IOLS.

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
      Training Committee Chair
      NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
      Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
      I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
    • Dave Loomis
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
        Could be a local option, by the council.

        Dave

        wahowland@... wrote:

        > >Today at our University of Scouting an announcement was made that:
        > the
        > >policy of requiring a BALOO trained leader to attend pack campouts
        > has
        > >been delayed until January, 2004.
        > >That's a 'reprieve' of a year for those of us who have not been able
        > >provide BALOO training.
        > >
        > >Can anyone else confirm or deny this? Personally I did not hear the
        > >announcement as I was setting up for my first class. Later in the
        > day
        > >professional told me that the powers in Irving's H&S and Risk
        > Management
        > >have delayed the mandate for a year.
        >
        > Well, since it was originally implemented as mandatory for Pack
        > camping as of
        > September 2001, I doubt it. Anyone care to comment? (I just sent a
        > query to
        > National about it, if you want to wait to see what I get back <G>)
        >
        > BTW, BALOO is a great little day's course-- we have given it several
        > times
        > and the response is uniformly positive. It's a terrific foundation for
        > the
        > following camping-oriented courses, OWL (in whatever form it ends up)
        > and
        > IOLS.
        >
        > YiS
        > Auntie Beans