Re: [Scouter_T] Patriot's Day

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6 11:06 PM
      Rick:

      New articles today:

      The Graduate Assembly President says she was "misquoted". The
      university president says "[She] does not speak for the university.
      I speak for the university,"

      Interesting reads on two different sides of the same issue.

      THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE
      Cal Berkeley reverses ribbon decision
      Students claim officials feared patriotic colors would
      be offensive
      --Daily Californian, UC Berkeley
      http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9345

      Campus insists 9-11 will be patriotic On defensive after
      reported exclusion of 'divisive' activities
      --San Jose Mercury News
      http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/living/education/4015313.htm

      A thought on a related point: I've heard a number of charges
      lately in the press and on talk radio that if we go to war in Iraq
      or anywhere else in the ME, it would be purely political and only for
      oil. While I disagree with portions of that line of reasoning,
      I did have a thought.

      When the US got into WWI, the American public was against it, the
      administration was for it. It took the torpedoing of the Lusitania
      to get us involved.

      For WWII, we now know that FDR knew of the attack on Pearl Harbor, but
      refused to pass the info,, or allow it to be passed, to create and
      excuse for the US going to war against Japan and Germany. And WWII
      did have an effect on raising the US economy out of the aftermath of the Depression.

      Just some idle thoughts...

      YiS,

      Chuck