Absolute Training

  • David D. Vaughan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
      I want to thank all of you for your responses. I received over 30 responses to my posting regarding "absolute training."

      Several of you hinted at the fact you thought that my trainers were trying to get out of doing any training. This is about as far as you could get from the truth. Having been a trainer in 4 different Councils here on the west coast I have always felt that the trainers in Southern Sierra Council are some of the best instructors available and in fact sometimes a little over zealous in their duties.

      The simple problem is that there are several units in our council who refuse to take any form of training. Time involved, distance to travel (never more than 40 miles), and self proclaimed prior knowledge/experience are the most common excuses.

      Again, thank you for all your responses and input.

      David Vaughan
      ASM WE3-30-02
      Council Training Chair
      Southern Sierra Council
      W4-57-86
      DVAUGHAN@...
      Still a Buffalo....

      There's only one thing wrong with Boy Scouts...
      there aren't enough of 'em.
      -Will Rogers

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
        David wrote...

        > The simple problem is that there are several units in our council
        >who refuse to take any form of training.
        [snip]
        >self proclaimed prior knowledge/experience are the most common
        >excuses.

        While I don't know the level of the "prior knowledge/experience",
        I can offer 2 suggestions.

        First is what I tell people in my district about Training. "Having
        been a Cub or Boy Scout does not teach you haw to manage a unit, or
        the position. As a boy, you only saw the fun, not the work involved
        behind the scenes to make sure that your unit had a good outing/event".

        Second, a number of years ago, we were having trouble with a trained
        leader who refused to come to SMF for an update. It was suggested
        to me to play in his vanity, and ask him to serve on staff in the
        position of "Troop Guide" to a Patrol. In that position, he would
        have to be there with his Patrol for all of the Training. So,
        ostensibly he was there to help train the members of his Patrol,
        the secondary reason was to expose him to the program shanged that
        had occurred since he had taken SMF years before.

        Just 2 thoughts on this issue.

        YiS,

        Chuck