Patriot's Day

  • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
      PATRIOT DAY - HALF STAFF
      (Excerpt from the Patriot Day Proclamation from President Bush)

      By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the
      Congress has authorized and requested the President to designate September
      11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of
      America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2002, as Patriot Day. I call upon
      the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate
      ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services and candlelight
      vigils. I also call upon the Governors of the United States and the
      Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units
      of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot
      Day. Further, I encourage all Americans to display the flag at half-staff
      from their homes on that day and to observe a moment of silence beginning at
      8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time, or another appropriate commemorative time,
      to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives as a result of the
      terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of
      September, in the year of our Lord two thousand two, and of the Independence
      of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-seventh.

      GEORGE W. BUSH

    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
        Rick:

        Did you hear about the "observance" in Berkeley? No flags, no pledge, no "God Beless America", no nothing except what the student government approves.

        I think it's on http://worldnetdaily.com/.

        YiS,

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
          Yes, and the ribbons that they will wear are white only, no red or blue
          allowed!

          Did you hear about the "observance" in Berkeley? No flags, no pledge, no
          "God Beless America", no nothing except what the student government
          approves.

          I think it's on http://worldnetdaily.com/.

          YiS,

          Chuck

          > From: "Richard E (Rick) Rambo" <krrambo@...>
          > Date: 2002/09/06 Fri AM 12:52:33 EDT
          > To: "Wy-East List" <wy-east@yahoogroups.com>,
          > "WE1-492-2-02" <WE1-492-2-02@yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Scouter-t List" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [Scouter_T] Patriot's Day
          >
          > PATRIOT DAY - HALF STAFF
          > (Excerpt from the Patriot Day Proclamation from President Bush)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
          62:HM/A=810373/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2303158.3720906.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
          62:HM/A=810373/R=1/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Ted Burton
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
            At 14:51 -0400 on 9/6/02, Scouter Chuck spoke about Re: [Scouter_T]
            Patriot's Day thusly:

            >I think it's on http://worldnetdaily.com/.

            Not my favorite source for reliable news.
          • Richard E (Rick) Rambo
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
              That's ok, I feel the same way about CBS! (See BS)

              But I saw the story on our local news report the other night.

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229441.2336363.3766536.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17050661
              62:HM/A=1189560/R=0/*http://www.bmgmusic.com/acq/ee/q6/enroll/mhn/10/>

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2002
                Rick:

                New articles today:

                The Graduate Assembly President says she was "misquoted". The
                university president says "[She] does not speak for the university.
                I speak for the university,"

                Interesting reads on two different sides of the same issue.

                THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE
                Cal Berkeley reverses ribbon decision
                Students claim officials feared patriotic colors would
                be offensive
                --Daily Californian, UC Berkeley
                http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9345

                Campus insists 9-11 will be patriotic On defensive after
                reported exclusion of 'divisive' activities
                --San Jose Mercury News
                http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/living/education/4015313.htm

                A thought on a related point: I've heard a number of charges
                lately in the press and on talk radio that if we go to war in Iraq
                or anywhere else in the ME, it would be purely political and only for
                oil. While I disagree with portions of that line of reasoning,
                I did have a thought.

                When the US got into WWI, the American public was against it, the
                administration was for it. It took the torpedoing of the Lusitania
                to get us involved.

                For WWII, we now know that FDR knew of the attack on Pearl Harbor, but
                refused to pass the info,, or allow it to be passed, to create and
                excuse for the US going to war against Japan and Germany. And WWII
                did have an effect on raising the US economy out of the aftermath of the Depression.

                Just some idle thoughts...