Job Descriptions

  • robkat96
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 24, 2002
      Anyone know where I can find a PRINTABLE job description booklet for
      the Committee and Troop Leadership position for the Boy Scouts? I am
      nearing having elections in our troop. Some parents want these and
      want me to hold the elections as an open forum instead of a committee
      meeting. Can this be done? I know woting is supposed to be done by
      committee members only but I am trying to get the parents more
      involved. We will replacing every position in the troop.

      Thanks

      Rob
    • Dan Kurtenbach
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
        Rob, I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about the adult leadership
        positions, adult and youth, or just youth? If you are talking about
        adult positions, do you mean just Troop Committee positions (Chairman,
        Treasurer, Advancement, etc.)?

        Dan Kurtenbach
        Fairfax, VA

        Anyone know where I can find a PRINTABLE job description booklet for
        the Committee and Troop Leadership position for the Boy Scouts? I am
        nearing having elections in our troop. Some parents want these and
        want me to hold the elections as an open forum instead of a committee
        meeting. Can this be done? I know woting is supposed to be done by
        committee members only but I am trying to get the parents more
        involved. We will replacing every position in the troop.

        Thanks

        Rob

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Debbie Beer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
          Yes there is a publication on the troop committee. It contains information
          on each job description. Boards of review, and many other items related to
          the troop committee. The book should be available through your council
          office.
          > Anyone know where I can find a PRINTABLE job description booklet for
          > the Committee and Troop Leadership position for the Boy Scouts? I am
          > nearing having elections in our troop. Some parents want these and
          > want me to hold the elections as an open forum instead of a committee
          > meeting. Can this be done? I know woting is supposed to be done by
          > committee members only but I am trying to get the parents more
          > involved. We will replacing every position in the troop.
          >
          > Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Rob

        • Robert Braden
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
            I am talking about Troop Committee positions and Adult
            Leadership for a BSA Troop. I am wanting them for
            clarification of the job responsiblitities.

            Rob

            --- Dan Kurtenbach <danielkurtenbach@...>
            wrote:
            > Rob, I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about the
            > adult leadership
            > positions, adult and youth, or just youth? If you
            > are talking about
            > adult positions, do you mean just Troop Committee
            > positions (Chairman,
            > Treasurer, Advancement, etc.)?
            >
            > Dan Kurtenbach
            > Fairfax, VA

            =====

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • Robert Braden
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
              Thanks. I have that publication but was looking for
              something else that may be out there.

              Rob

              --- Debbie Beer <beer@...> wrote:
              > Yes there is a publication on the troop committee.
              > It contains information
              > on each job description. Boards of review, and many
              > other items related to
              > the troop committee. The book should be available
              > through your council
              > office.

            • Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
                Rob,

                Like Dan Kurtenbach (see his message dated today), I too am confused by your request. I don't have my reference material with me at work today to quote 'chapter and verse,' but my recollection of leader selection follows:

                Youth: All youth elect the Senior Patrol Leader, SPL appoints his Assistant Senior Patrol Leader(s), each patrol elects their own Patrol Leader.

                Adults: The Chartering Organization _appoints_ the Troop Committee Chairman and Scoutmaster. The Troop Committee does not _elect_ these leaders. Committee members elect Committee positions such as Troop Treasurer and Secretary. An alternative approach could be for the Committee to approve the Chairman's nominees (or Nominations Committee) for these positions.

                Most of the time I have found elections to be unnecessary; the Troop Committee is happy to have someone fill the position. If you have several people interested in your positions, that's great. I wouldn't turn down qualified volunteers though; for example, if you have two interested in Treasurer, make one of them an Assistant Treasurer and spread out the Treasurer's work between them.

                I think all regular Troop Committee meetings should be open to parents (two possible exceptions come to mind: selection of adult OA Ordeal Candidate and personnel disciplinary issues). Troop Committee meetings aren't held in secret; let parents come and talk at them. If you are trying to get adults involved and they want come to Troop Committee meetings, encourage them to register as Committee Members and let them be voting members.

                Job descriptions are in the Troop Committee Handbook

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
                  Thanks. And I realize this is straying quite a bit from your request
                  for job descriptions, but are you also talking about electing the
                  Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters?

                  Dan Kurtenbach
                  Fairfax, VA

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 26, 2002
                      Yes. That is what our Charter Organization has
                      decided to do since we have at least two people who
                      are interested but only one qualified. (ie training is
                      already completed and such) I have tried to get
                      things the right way but since I took over as CC the
                      SM has been fighting with me on issue. I have even
                      gotten the distict to back me on my issues but the
                      troop had been without a CC for so long the SM is used
                      to running things.

                      wrote:
                      > Thanks. And I realize this is straying quite a bit
                      > from your request
                      > for job descriptions, but are you also talking about
                      > electing the
                      > Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters?
                      >
                      > Dan Kurtenbach
                      > Fairfax, VA

                      =====

                      http://finance.yahoo.com
                    • Dan Kurtenbach
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 27, 2002
                        Thanks, Rob. Sounds like you have a challenging situation there. This
                        is the first time I've heard of electing the Scoutmaster -- a very
                        interesting issue for Scouts-L or other general forum, probably not for
                        Scouter_T.

                        Dan Kurtenbach
                        Fairfax, VA

                        =====

                      • beavrc2497@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 27, 2002
                          As a further note on the Scoutmaster issue..As I am in the position of Chartered Organization Representative for my church it is my obligation to approve or disapprove all adult positions. The only person(s) to "select" the Committee Chairperson is the COR or the Institutional head. He/She are also the only ones that can remove any adult from the position in the Troop or Pack. Rob, as the CC you should probably sit down with the COR/Institutional Head and discuss the Scoutmasters "issues" so that you have the backing of the IH. If the SM is so disruptive to the program for the boys I might recommend his/her removal from the position.

                          Switches hat, as the Council Training Chairperson, If new committee members come on board, schedule with the District Boy Scout Training Chair to come in an do the "New Leader Essentials" and "Troop Committee Challenge" training. This will ensure that all of your committee members are trained and able to support the program the boys in the Troop plan. As adults we seem to lose sight as to why we're here, I encourage you not to let that happen.

                          Ron Tramm
                          Milwaukee County Council Training Chair
                          Chartered Organization Representative Troop 601

                        • Ken Todd
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 1, 2002
                            Rob,

                            For the Troop Committee position descriptions, I recommend obtaining a
                            copy of the "TROOP COMMITTEE GUIDEBOOK" #34505B $4.70. It lists all of
                            the standard Troop Committee position descriptions. [Note: some Troops
                            have bylaws that modify some of these slightly and add some others.]

                            For the Troop Leader position descriptions, I recommend obtaining a
                            copy of the "SENIOR PATROL LEADER HANDBOOK" #32501 $7.95 and the
                            "PATROL LEADER HANDBOOK" #32502 $7.95.

                            As for elections not being at a Troop Committee Meeting, when else
                            would the Committee elect its officers. The comment about "want me to
                            hold the elections as an open forum instead of a committee meeting."
                            confuses me. All parents should always be encouraged to attend
                            Committee meetings. These are normally on a standard date during the
                            month and announced on the Troop's calendar well in advance. Our Troop
                            normally holds its June Committee Meeting at the Annual Troop Picnic
                            and hold a Troop Committee meeting at that time including elections.

                            Troop Leadership elections should be held at a normal Troop function.
                            Our Troop holds its Troop Leadership elections either at Troop Meetings
                            or the Annual Picnic. We elect SPL & ASPL in December and June, and
                            other Troop Leadership positions in March & September, to take effect
                            the first of the following month.

                            I hope these references are helpful. Feel free to contact me if you
                            have any more questions.

                            Yours in Scouting,
                            Ken Todd, Troop Committee Member