Re: [Scouter_T] Training Database

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 12, 2002
      Kristen:

      I think Troopmaster has something like this.

      Also, the Access program has some "canned" applications that you
      might be able to use. Or, you could create a spreadsheet on Excel
      to do it. That's about all I can offer at this point.

      YiS,

      Chuck

      > From: Kris Swank <kswank@...>
      > Date: 2002/08/10 Sat AM 10:20:32 EDT
      > To: Scouter_t List <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Scouter_T] Training Database
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
      > training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
      > are things going?
      >
      > The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
      > the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
      > them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
      > the council printouts it would help immensley.
    • Sheila Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
        I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
        have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
        time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
        and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance
        - Sheila Brown

        On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:20:32 -0500, Kris Swank wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >A while back the gentleman who was creating the Access Database to track
        >training info sain he was about ready to "Beta" test his product. How
        >are things going?
        >
        >The reason I ask is, I need something to get organized since the data
        >the Council Office gives me is wrong in many instances and I can't get
        >them to fix it. If I had something to put my data in and correlate it to
        >the council printouts it would help immensley.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Kristen Swank
        >OT Training Chair
        >East Texas Area Council

        >Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2002
          Sheila asked...

          > I think we are all looking for something like this. I don't really
          > have the expertise to develop it myself, at least not in any decent
          > time frame. If anyone has would you please send a message to the list
          > and post it in the files section of the web page. Thank you in advance

          I am not one to advocate reinvention of the wheel.

          There is a "canned" membership list in the Access
          database wizard that will create a bas list for you. Or,
          you could purchase Troopmaster for the Troop or
          District. Troopmaster has the ability to track al the
          Adult Leaders' training for the Troop. If you're dealing
          with a District, theirs has the ability to track your
          MB Counselors as well.

          I suggest investigating these first.

          I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
          Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 17, 2002
            Kristen Swank wrote: <snip> . . .the data the Council Office gives me is
            wrong in many instances and I can't get them to fix it. If I had something
            to put my data in and correlate it to the council printouts it would help
            immensley. <end snip>

            I am sorry that your Council doesn't seem to have accurate training records,
            but glad to hear that our Council isn't the only one that can't put out
            accurate information. Last week I was given two reports: a Top Leader
            trained report and a Council Training Report. These two documents are
            supposed to reflect identical information in two different formats and they
            do not agree and the differences are not just in numbers trained. One
            document says our District has 34 packs and the other says we have 35.

            We have, for about 10 years now, used File Maker Pro for our District
            training database with great success. This database allows you to sort by
            multiple line items and Scoutnet does not. This is a problem we ran into
            just this past week at our Council Training Meeting. In our Council,
            certain trainings are offered to adults during Boy Scout summer camp.
            Training Attendance Reports of these trainings are submitted to Council and
            entered into Scoutnet. However, the Districts are never advised that their
            folks attended any of these trainings. The statement was made that Council
            just cannot make 13 copies of each TAP so they could be distributed to the
            districts. We asked that they print a report after data entry and get it to
            us and were told that they could sort by course name but the report would
            list everyone in the database who ever took that course but would not
            include the date the course was held!

            Given the choice, I depend on our database, not Scoutnet!

            Judy Yeager
          • tinman507
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
              Good Day group!
              I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
              search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
              the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
              along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
              have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.

              Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
              course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.

              Thanks to anyone who can help

              YiS,

              Chris Finnegan
              Asst. Council Training Chairman
              Bucks County Council, PA
              ...and a good old Bobwhite too NE-CS-59
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 19, 2004
                I have one but it is pretty rough. It works on the assumption that
                your council registers attendees in ScoutNet, and you can get a
                download of this part of the infotmation.

                I asked that they register in the format:
                Dinner Choice, Pd1/P1A, Pd2/P2a, Pd3/P3a, Pd4/p4a, Pd5/p5a

                Where Pd1 is their first choice for Per 1, and P1a is their
                alternate. It also prints the course ticket and meal choice on half a
                page, which can be sliced into two tickets with a knife or shears.

                Dave

                tinman507 wrote:
                > Good Day group!
                > I am tasked with registration for our University of Scouting. I am in
                > search of an Access database designed for PowWows, Universities and
                > the like. If you have such a critter and don't mind passing it
                > along, it would be HUGELY appreciated. I am Access-challenged. I
                > have attempted to do this in Excel but it becomes too cumbersome.
                >
                > Ideally, it would register the attendees, keep track of staff, do
                > course selection and maybe even print an attendee card.
                >
                > Thanks to anyone who can help
                >
                > YiS,
                >
                > Chris Finnegan
                > Asst. Council Training Chairman