Re: [Scouter_T] Airport Security problem with Scout Uniform belt

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Kathie Heidenfelder wrote...

      > Ok. So we know this now, so all scouts and leaders in uniform ought to
      > have their belt in their hand, with the buckle detached as they go through
      > security. Seems a small price to pay to insure that evil people don't use
      > our uniform pieces as ways to hide their terror and/or kill our
      > scouts. What the BSA does not need is headlines screaming, boy/man in BSA
      > uniform smuggles aboard bomb.

      I can't tell if your being sarcastic or if you really mean that. Without
      getting _too_ political, though, IMHO it is a very _large_ price to pay.
      As the result of Sept 11, we have lost (or given over) a large number of
      our freedoms that it was unnecessary to lose.

      Did I feel any safer going thru all the security this trip? Not in the
      least. The inspections, such as they are, are still being done by the
      same minimum wage lackeys that did them before. The only real change is
      that now you have given the badge to the bully, and made it a crime to
      argue with "him".

      In the mean time, the only people who _aren't_ being regularly targeted
      in the "random" checks are the ones that really do fit the terrorist
      profile.

      > Thanks for letting us know. I have a troop leaving shortly, and will alert
      > the Scoutmaster.

      This happened at Albany. It may not at some other locations.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
      Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2002
        Hi Chuck,
        Is that Albany, Georgia, or New York? ;-)
        One trip I made I had to remove my shoes multiple times.
        They were setting off the walk through detector. And
        no they weren't doing this to everyone. There have
        been other societies that restricted "personal freedoms"
        in the name of the "greater good", and I wouldn't have
        wanted to live in any of those societies.

        Peter

        < This happened at Albany. It may not at some other locations.
        <
        < YiS,
        <
        < Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...