Re: Leader Eligibility Question

  • daveloomis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2002
      You've not said what your Chartered Organization
      Representative or Chartered Organization said about the person. If
      the person can explain that the conviction was some time ago and has a
      clean record, run it through BSA and see what happens. This way
      you'll have something solid to go on, not just opinions.

      If your other people feel strongly enough about this person,
      include letters of recommendation with the application. This may sway
      the balance in the applicant's favor.

      Dave

      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Sean Scott" <sscott@d...> wrote:
      > My apologies for the cross post, but I've been asked a question I
      don't know the answer for. Go figure!

      > A parent in our district has filled out an application to be a den
      leader, but has a conviction for drug possession eight years ago. The
      committee chair for his pack initially told him no. Subsequently, one
      of our DE's has said that after being "clean" for ten years, he may
      register.

      1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2002
        Sean,

        I have never seen a written policy on how long the professionals
        require an adult to wait after a drug conviction before they will sign
        their approval on the form. From what you have said, it seems to vary,
        possibly by Council or the opinion of the various professionals.

        There are 2 other signatures required on the application as well,
        Committee Chair and Charter Organization Representative.

        If at any step in the process one of the 3 approvers says "no" then the
        application is declined. I have never heard of the BSA forcing a unit
        to accept an adult who they do not belive should be a leader based on
        their standards.

        Basically, the minimum requirements of the BSA are on the application.
        If a Unit or Charter Organization has a higher standard, then their
        standard prevails for their Unit(s). For example, some Charter
        Organizations require that certain positions with a unit be filed by
        members of the organization, and some Charter Organizations will not
        approve female leaders in positions other than the Committee.

        In this case, the Committee Chair has indicated that they do not
        approve of this adult becoming a leader in their unit. That is their
        right and the application stops at that point.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2002
          On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:10:52 -0700, "Sean Scott"
          <sscott@...> wrote:
          <snip>
          What I'm looking for is referenceable, quotable, documented BSA
          policy, NOT opinion or guesswork or assumption, that supports this
          individual being allowed or prevented from becoming a leader.
          </snip>

          I'm not certain you'll find any such thing. What I'm aware of is:

          (a) There is (or was at one time) a BSA restricted "policy /
          prodedure" document available to Council Executives, which I *think*
          is called Maintaining Membership Standards. Ask your CE/DE to check
          that specific documentation. It may or may not help.

          (b) A few years ago the unit recharter materials included a letter
          to all unit committee chairs and unit leaders about it being the
          responsibility of the UNIT to conduct reference checks and criminal
          record checks before submitting the individual's application to the
          council office.

          (c) The law varies from state to state. Some councils in certain
          states are required by law to conduct criminal record checks for all
          applicants. In addition to requiring the council to conduct the
          record checks, the law probably documents what convictions are
          barriers to registration and for how long ... which may also vary
          from state to state. Other councils in other states leave records
          checks to the discretion of the unit leadership.

          (d) Policies may also vary from council to council. It is possible
          that your council's executive board may have established policies
          that are more restrictive than other council's in your state.

          In the absense of anything more definitive, I would look to the
          membership application itself. It requires three signatures: the
          committee chairman, the chartered organization representative, and
          the council executive (or representative thereof). If either the CC
          or COR say "no", and in this case the CC in question "initially"
          said "no", I think that ends the matter ... at least until / unless
          that CC changes his / her mind or is replaced. If those two
          signatories both say "yes", then forward the application to the
          council office, let the council's registrar and executives handle
          it. (For all you should know, it could / should be "business as
          usual" for them.) Reminder: At reregistration time, either the CC
          or the COR can always cross a name off the roster ... there's no
          guarantee of continued registration.

          Personally, I would *hope* that the decision makers involved would
          base their decision on the individual in question. TALK to the
          person. My personal opinion on suitability would vary depending on
          whether or not the person in question was a parent at the time the
          offense took place, whether or not the person is a parent now,
          whether the person is applying for a committee position (not
          necessarily in direct contact with the Cubs) or a den leader
          position (direct contact), what that person's attitude is NOW to
          his/her actions THEN, etc. And my opinion would be influenced by
          many other CURRENT factors ... does the person CURRENTLY: smoke,
          swear, drink excessively, have too many traffic citations, etc.
          Personally, I would *not* view the note of conviction on the
          application as a disqualifier. Look at it positively ... the person
          filled in the application honestly, truthfully. That tells me
          something. The conviction itself is a negative influence; admitting
          it is a positive influence ... net position ... neutral. So,
          evaluate the other factors, the TOTAL PICTURE.

          My $.05 worth;
          Mark Ritter