Youth Protection Training

  • Barbara Karweik
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 10, 2002
      Has anyone heard about or obtained new Youth Protection Tapes?
      I know that the Venturing Program came out with a new tape last year and
      that National was updating the old YPT tape.
      Someone at a meeting yesterday said that there is now a Cub Scout and a Boy
      Scout Youth Protection training program.
      Anyone heard about it?
      Thanks for your help
      Barb Karweik
      Buckeye District Training Chair
      Simon Kenton Council
    • emb021
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., "Barbara Karweik" <karweikb@c...> wrote:
        > Has anyone heard about or obtained new Youth Protection Tapes?
        > I know that the Venturing Program came out with a new tape last
        year and
        > that National was updating the old YPT tape.
        > Someone at a meeting yesterday said that there is now a Cub Scout
        and a Boy
        > Scout Youth Protection training program.
        > Anyone heard about it?

        Well, I just got the latest Scouting Library of Literature catalog
        (call National Supply to get one) and the flipside has the A/V
        catalog. It lists the following YPT videos:

        Youth Protection Training for Adult Leaders, updated 1994 (AV09V001A)
        Youth Protection: Boy Scout and Cub Scout Leader Training Module,
        released 1998 (AV09V010)
        A Time To Tell, released 1989 (AV09V004)
        It Happened to Me, released 1991 (AV09V011)
        Youth Protection Guidelines: Training for Adult Venturing Leaders,
        released 1999. (AV03V014)
        Youth Protection: Personal Safety Awareness, released 1998 (AV09V027)

        Hope this helps

        Michael Brown
        SW Florida Council
      • Elaine D. Boyd
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
          Hi,

          I am planning on offering Youth Protection Training (YPT) as a "live" training session for the first time in my district in many years. Once the online version came out, the training chair stopped offering YPT. This will be my first time leading the training.

          In printing off the Facilitator's Guide (pdf doc) from national's web site, it refers to handouts for the course. I can't find any. The link that BSA provides, brings me to the online training (and no handouts).

          I know that I should have one handout with the reporting procedures for my council. What else should the participants get as handouts?

          Any help would be appreciated!

          Yours in Scouting,

          ~Elaine Boyd
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          Abnaki District ~ Daniel Webster Council, NH

        • Stu Allen
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
            On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:02:21AM -0400, Elaine D. Boyd wrote:

            > In printing off the Facilitator's Guide (pdf doc) from national's web site,
            > it refers to handouts for the course. I can't find any. The link that BSA
            > provides, brings me to the online training (and no handouts).

            The handout is actually part of the Facilitator's Guide. Look for the
            page starting with "Questions and Answers". I think it's 4 pages.

            --
            Stu Allen email: allensr@...
            CM/SA Pack/Troop 92
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 6, 2006
              Thanks!

              ~Elaine

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                Hi,

                I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

                I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child abuse reporting requirements for my council.

                I could spend a few hours pulling all these parts together so that they flowed well and that I covered all the info that needs to be covered - but why reinvent the wheel? Does anyone have something like this that they are willing to share? I really want this to be a great training session. I want those that attend feel that this was more informative than the online version and that the two hours they just gave up where worth it. :-)

                Yours in Scouting,

                ~Elaine Boyd
                Scouter in NH

              • Michael Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 16, 2006
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine D. Boyd" <edboyd@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I will be conducting my first "live" training of Youth Protection
                  Training (YPT) next month and I was wondering if any of you have
                  deleveloped a script for teaching the materials.

                  > I have the DVD (have not watched it yet) and I have printed the
                  following off of the internet: facilitator's guide, youth protection
                  and adult leadership section of the Guide to Safe Scouting and child
                  abuse reporting requirements for my council.

                  AFAIK, the facilitator's guide is your script.

                  Its been awhile since I did the live training, but it pretty much as
                  been to show the video, go thru the questions & such in the guide,
                  and answer any questions the participants might have.

                  Michael Brown
                • Elaine D. Boyd
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 18 5:51 AM
                    Has there been a new Youth Protection training (YPT) program released?
                    The DVD that I have been using, has been around for years. It is the
                    one with the panel of experts, a bored looking audience (not a Scout
                    uniform to be seen) and the three scenarios that you watch and then
                    pause the DVD to discus. I was told by my training counterpart (Boy
                    Scout Training Chair in my district) that he had the new DVD. I spoke
                    with our Council Training Chair last night and she was not aware of any
                    new YPT available.

                    I checked out Scoutstuff.org and there is a YPT DVD with 2010 printing
                    date and 2005 copy right. The one I am using is older than 2005.

                    Yours in Scouting,

                    ~Elaine Boyd
                    Scouter in NH

                  • Daniel Toyooka
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 18 8:32 AM
                      Elaine:

                      From your description, I am assuming that you are asking about the YPT for adult leaders not the YPT for scouts. There is a new YPT DVD for adult leaders that was released in 2010. It is much shorter than the previous edition and is centered around a charter representative doing a program review with two new leaders. There are still a couple of scenarios that the facilitator is asked to stop the DVD and do a group discussion. I heard about this DVD last summer and was only able to get it through our Council this last month. The National BSA training website has a section where you can download the facilitators guide for the new DVD and a button to order the DVD, but the last time I tried to click on it to order one, the site would not allow you to click on the order button.
                      The online training takes excerpts� from this DVD to train the student from. The big change is that there is now a test that all students are expected to take and pass before you are issued a certificate. If you do a training using the DVD, your students are instructed to go to the National BSA Training website after doing your training, login (or create an account if they haven�t already) and select YPT test and take the test. The facilitator�s guide does have a copy of the test and the answer key so that you can give the test for those that may not have computer access.

                      Hope that helps,

                      Dan

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 18 8:43 AM
                        Dan,

                        Thanks for the info - yes I am referring to the adult leader training.
                        I was able to find the DVD on Scoutstuff.org and it did let me order it.

                        I guess my next email will be to the professional Scouter assigned to
                        the training committee. You'd think he would have let the committee
                        know that Youth Protection Training was updated. Sigh.

                        ~Elaine

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 18 10:24 AM
                          Elaine:

                          Great, I�m glad that you were able to order the new DVD. YPT training is very important and I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 18 10:33 AM
                            Dan,

                            It is required now for a den leader to be considered fully trained.

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 18 1:07 PM
                              Elaine:

                              I wasn�t aware of that. I know that as of 2008, the new adult leader application says on the front page that �you are expected to take Youth Protection training within 90 days.� Our District took this to mean that you are required to take YPT. As it turns out, �expected� and �required� are not the same.

                            • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 18 1:37 PM
                                Dan,

                                You're talking about two different things. You are expected to take the training within 90 days. You're required to have the training to be considered a trained leader.

                                Bruce

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 18 8:12 PM
                                  Dan,

                                  YPT has been required to earn the "Trained" patch for a couple of years for all programs. By the end of next year, direct contact leaders will be required to be "Trained" within a reasonable amount of time to be able to recharter with their unit.

                                  Yours in Scouting,
                                  Ken Todd, NE-CS-59
                                  Cub Scout Roundtbale Commissioner

                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                                  ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                                  > Dan
                                • Daniel Toyooka
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 19 8:36 AM
                                    Ken:

                                    Thanks to you and Bruce for pointing out that to be a �Trained� Cub Scout Leader, you are required to take YPT. Since Bruce indicated this, I was able to go online and look at the requirements to be a �Trained� leader as of 2010 and it looks like to be a �Trained� Scout leader, Cub master, Scoutmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, it is now required to take YPT. For right now it is not required to take YPT if you are just registered as an adult or are not �Trained.�

                                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com<mailto:scouter_t%40yahoogroups.com>, Daniel Toyooka <toyookad@...> wrote:
                                    ... I expect will be required for registered leaders within the next few years.

                                    > Dan

                                  • Michael Crothers
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                                      As a council training chair I am interested in how other councils are tackling this effort.

                                      In Tecumseh Council we are doing the following:

                                      a. Increasing the number of classes teaching Youth Protection training.
                                      b. Sent out a letter to everyone who is not current.
                                      c. Sent out a letter to all who would expire before recharter.
                                      d. Included a letter in the Program Kickoff packet for each unit.
                                      e. Council Commissioners staff intend to be avail for training at the unit level.
                                      f. Sending a DVD with the video, quiz, facilitators guide, and local reporting procedures to
                                         each unit in the council.
                                      g. Showing the Video at District and Council level meets.
                                      Yours In Scouting

                                      Mike Crothers

                                      Tecumseh Council Training Chair

                                      and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                      and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                                    • Bill
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                                        So far we have been pushing people to take the online training with pretty good results. Instructor led is an option, but then you have the record keeping headache

                                        Bill