Powder Horn Training

  • hikinmama
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2002
      Any leader working with a unit that does High Adventure activities
      should attend Powder Horn. Powder Horn covers the core requirements
      for the Venturing Ranger Award and most of the electives, so it does
      have a Venturing tone to it, but it is equally as valuable to a Boy
      Scout Leader in providing resource management ideas for a High
      Adventure program. A more complete description as well as course
      dates can be found at the Powder Horn web site www.powderhorn-bsa.org

      I also want to make sure the word is spread about the Powder Horn
      Course Director's Development Conferences that are being held. One
      is taking place this weekend in San Francisco, so it won't be of
      benefit to anyone who's not already there <gr>.

      There is another Course Director's Development Conference scheduled in
      the Central Region, August 2 at the Regional Offices near Chicago.
      Registration information can be found on the Powder Horn web site.
      I've also been informed (as webmaster of the site) that the Southern
      Region is planning to host a CD Development Conference in the middle
      of August as well, but details are not finalized on that yet. As
      soon as I hear, I will post them on the web.

      Completion of this conference will fulfill the requirement that
      Powder Horn Course Directors must have served as an Assistant Powder
      Horn Course Director previously. The course is designed for those
      that have previously attended Powder Horn training **(or will attend
      a course within one year to be certified as a CD)**. This course
      will be a great opportunity for your council to have someone
      qualified to become a Powder Horn Course Director.

      The curriculum will be dedicated to how to run a Powder Horn Course.
      Even tho in Venturing we are always encouraging to think beyond the
      box, the basic principle of the buddy system should work here too.
      Send a couple or more from your Council so when they go back there is
      support from each other in running a Powder Horn course!

      I will be going to Chicago as an experienced Powder Horn Course
      Director, just for the fun of it. I hope to see some of you!

      Signe Rogers
      Quivira Council
      Santa Fe Trail District Training Chair
      2001 Central Region Powder Horn Course Director
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2003
        The National Capital Area Council is sponsoring a weekend Powder Horn
        Course in Northern Virginia.
        Course Dates: May 30-June 1, 2003
        June 13-15, 2003

        Location: Camp Highroad
        Middleburg, VA

        Check out <http://www.powderhorn-bsa.org/dates.html> to download
        applications for this course, or check out dates and locations for
        other 2003 Powder Horn Courses in the country.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com