Susan's Card

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      I get these stories from time to time. The only thing I would add it this
      verse I saw on a church reader board:

      �What you do and say today will make memories for someone else � make good

      Susan's Card Story Editor:
      by Kirsten Smith Steve Phelps
      Lynnwood, Washington, USA

      I've always had a problem with self-confidence, especially as a teenager.
      If I was certain of my abilities I would shine, but if I had any doubts I
      would hang around in the background.

      I was in band because I knew I played clarinet well, but decided against
      trying out for the volleyball team because, though I'd earned a letter in
      junior high, I wasn't sure how difficult high school would be. I felt more
      confident about making the team my junior year, so I tried out. I made the
      junior varsity team, playing some games, and sitting out others.

      One team member who was a sophomore that year, and I never got along. To
      this day I don't know why, but we just couldn't stand one another. She was
      tall, thin, and very talented in sports, so probably some of the friction
      was jealousy on my part.

      As a senior I returned for volleyball tryouts, certain I would make
      varsity. It went well, but I was devastated when my name was not on the
      roster. The coach said she wished I'd tried out as a sophomore, it would
      have helped me make the team as a senior. Then she asked me to be a team
      manager. I figured I'd travel with the team, help with drills during
      practice, and if something happened, maybe get a shot at the varsity team. I
      said yes.

      If the practice drills required extra bodies, the other manager and I
      filled in. I gave 110% during these occasions to impress the coach. My
      nemesis was on the team, so I took extra delight when I was able to block
      one of her shots or make a good return. The coach even hinted she was sorry
      she'd cut me from the team.

      One day the team was doing a fun practice drill. I asked the coach for a
      turn after everyone was done. When I moved to take my turn my nemesis
      stepped up and said, "drills are just for players." I turned and left the
      gym before anyone saw my tears.

      The next day, another player, Susan, came up to me and handed me a card.
      Susan was a wonderful girl, the nicest person you'd ever want to meet. When
      I read the card later, it was obvious she had heard the "just for players"
      remark the previous day. She wrote that I was an inspiration to the team,
      that my spirit during games and practices encouraged her to play better. I
      was thrilled by her words and effort. She showed me that no matter what part
      you play in a team, you can have an impact.

      I still remember Susan's kindness more than 15 years later, and I often
      wonder what might have transpired in my life if she hadn't taken the time to
      write that note.

      America is returning to the values that Scouting never left!
      Join the Wy-East District e-mail list! Send a blank e-mail to:
      Wy-East-subscribe@... <mailto:Wy-East-subscribe@...>
      Rick Rambo
      Committee Member, T-89, Wy-East District, Cascade Pacific Council; Training
      Chairman for Wy-East District; Chairman, CPC 1st Class Recognition events
      1st Class Recognition Page:
      or: http://www.cpcbsa.org/cpcbsa/council/activities/award/1stclass.htm
      Roundtable Songs: http://www.geocities.com/rickram.geo/roundtable.html
      Assistant Quartermaster, WEM-492-00