Re: Cub Scout Shooting Sports

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2001
      --- In scouter_t@y..., "Wendell Brown" <wbrown@a...> wrote:
      > On Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:08:14 -0000, Mike wrote:
      >
      > >With regards to the Cub program, last year we ran three events
      where
      > >Cub Scouts were allowed to shoot, including a BB gun derby. Each
      of
      > >these events was staffed by trained adults and NRA Certified
      > >instructors. WEBELO scouts were allowed to fire air rifles.
      >
      > I want to make a clarification here. The 'Shooting Sports for Cub
      > Scouts, Webelos Scouts & Parents in Camp' guide states that ALL Cub
      > Scouts (even WEBELOS scouts) are supposed to use BB guns -
      specifically
      > BB guns that are rated LESS than 350fps. Almost all "air rifles"
      are
      > rated in excess of 350fps, so you have to be especially careful when
      > using this type of gun that it CANNOT exceed this speed and that it
      is
      > not intended to use pellets.

      Wendell, you are correct and these air rifles were properly rated,
      the Cubs shot Daisy's.

      > >Maybe I am a little skeptical, but I am not sure the same level
      > >of training, certification, planning and preparation would go into
      > >pack or den run shooting event.
      >
      > You and me both.
      >
      > >A suggestion to get cubs their belt loops would be to hook up with
      > >rod and gun club or a junior rifle club and get fully trained
      people
      > >to run the program in a safe environment.
      >
      > All of the literature I have seen says that Cub Scouts are to shoot
      > ONLY at Council or District events. I can see that a Council or
      > District COULD, under the existing rules, create an event (other
      than
      > the "normal" events like day camp, weekend camp, resident camp,
      etc.)
      > where BB guns could be shot (as long as the range layout minimally
      > meets the BB gun range specifications and adequate trained
      instructors
      > are present). However, as the rules currently read I don't see an
      > approved way for a den or a pack to shoot - even at a gun club.

      We utilized the facilites of a gun club for a district event
      called "Shoot for the Olympics which we run biennially. We even
      received a write-up in Scouting Magazine for this event. I did not
      mean to imply a den or pack event. Thanks for the clarification.

      The real point I was trying to drive home is that I don't beleve
      there is any way to insure a safe, compliant shooting program at the
      pack or den level.

      YIS

      Mike Rocheleau
    • danielgrummert
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
        Looking fo ra copy of Shooting Sports for Cub Scouting #13-550.
        Anyone seen one?
        dan
      • gundamknt@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
          Yep I've got one. Ill get it scanned and upload it.

          From: "danielgrummert" <dangrummert@...>

          Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:17:13
          To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Shooting Sports

        • chadc@charter.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
            Dan,

            The SSfCC is considered a restricted document by BSA (unless there has been a recent policy change that hasn't made its way down to my Council committee). It is only available to council representatives. I believe that BSA would frown on creating electronic copies.

            I do have a hard copy and would be glad to answer questions or provide specifics.

            - Chad
            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26, 2009
              I got mine at rangemaster training

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2009
                As the BSA shooting sport trainer for my Council (Norther Star in
                Minnesota), I distribute a copy of this booklet to my course attendees.
                But, it comes with the following admonitions:
                1) They are receiving it under the authority of our Council because they
                are attending the training.
                2) They are not authorized to distribute it on their own.

                I would encourage you to seek your DE or council advisor's input before
                distributing BSA's material that they do not make available through any
                public channels. You are most certainly violating copyright.

                - Chad Cooper
                Chief Black Dog District
                Northern Star Council
                Apple Valley, MN