Re: RE: [Scouter_T] Advise please

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 9:17 AM
      Teresa Hall wrote, among other things...

      [snip]
      > We held the session concurrently with the weekend-long BS-level
      > Outdoor Leader Skills training. There was room at the camp for
      > us to have our own pavilion, and the trainers for many of the
      > events were already in place for OLS. Virtually all of our
      > trainers were BS rather than CS. (I had 3 cub-only staffers.)
      > The positives - they had some well-developed sites and training
      > methods for some stuff like Rope & Knots, Woods Tools, etc. I
      > could NEVER have pulled this staff together just for Web
      > training.

      [snip]

      > good learning experience on both sides. The negatives -- Boy
      > Scouters just are not as familiar with the Cub Scout program, and
      > despite reminders in advance kept suggesting things that Webelos
      > just can't do as a den - like canoing. It really grated on Web
      > Leaders who WANT to do those things and feel constrained by those
      > particular rules. The solution next year will be to add more Cub
      > trainers and use OLS trainers in skills areas only. Will be
      > easier now that the people I want to use will have taken the
      > course - this year they all wanted to sign up so they could get
      > their Knot credit. :-)
      [snip]

      Actually, I think the idea is a good one. "Use your resources" --
      where have we hear that one before?

      As far as the program differences leading to problems with what the
      Webelos can and cannot do, I think a word to the WDLs who are
      enrolled to the effect that "You may hear about things during this
      course that are not allowed the Webelos or Cubs. Keep in mind that
      most of the trainers here are from the Boy Scouts, and may not be
      familiar with the Webelos or Cub Scout programs" Would suffice.

      Remember, every Cub leader that you bring in for the training is
      going to duplicate some protion of what a Boy Scout leader is
      already doing there.

      YiS,

      Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. --- mailto:antelope95@...
      I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
      Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20 1:45 PM
        Jamie,

        With 47 Packs, I don't see any reason that you cannot run a successful
        WLOT Course. You need to be aware that the course is being rewritten.
        By now a couple of pilots should have been executed. The current goal
        is to present the course at the National Meeting in June. Shortly
        thereafter we should be receiving the new syllabus and get an idea of
        how to execute the course. It is my understanding that the course is
        designed to be run by a District.

        I would suggest that you contact your Council Training Chair to
        determine what your Council's plans are for implementing the updated
        course. Each Council's plans may be slightly different, so I do not
        want to suggest you contradict them without knowing what they are.

        Keep up the good work.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken Todd, Dist Training Chairman
        NE-CS-59 Beaver

        Message 3 of 6 , May 21 9:52 AM
          Hi Jamie,

          We ran an OWL (Outdoor Webelos Leader Training) in April and had a
          blast! Until this year my Council ran this but attendance from my
          district was light. We had 15 people attend and 5 Adult Staff and 2
          Venturers as Youth Staff. the fee was $25.00 and included 3 meals,
          Cracker Barrell, a large handout and a tshirt. We made the t-shirts with
          iron on sheets printed on the computer. Everyone seemed to have a great
          time and we had a number of folks who had conflicts and want another one
          which we have scheduled for August.

          YIS,
          Kris Swank
          OT District Training Chair