Re: [Scouter_T] Advise please

  • CubBobwhite
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2002
      I am on too many Scouting lists so I don't remember where I got this
      information. I read that a couple of councils ran their WLOT, or OWL as we
      call it here, with a new syllabus. It was a one day format. Anybody else
      remember reading this?

      Now on to Jamie's questions:

      We run this course yearly in our council. Our turnout is small (15-18) but
      within our whole council there are only 38 packs. We usually run it as an
      overnight, but I would prefer to use the one day schedule. We tried that
      schedule one time and received complaints that the participants wanted to
      sleep-over. We charge $15-. I only have to pay for food and handouts out
      of that money. We eat very well and they are given a 100 page packet of
      materials that I have gleaned from a multitude of sources, plus a notebook
      to keep it in. I am one of the lucky few who is allowed to over-budget. I
      know some of you must bring in a profit.

      When it comes to staff, I try to get as many "experts" as I can for the
      round robins. They are not needed all day, just during the time of their
      session. Boy Scout leaders make good staff for the RR (older Boy Scouts do
      too).
      --------
      Leslie Herman
      Council Training Chairman
      Blue Water Council - Port Huron, Michigan
      http://www.powwow-online.net
      http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/CubScoutRoundtable
    • Teresa Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2002
        Jamie, our district ran its first WLOT (we slither the acronym into OWLS) on
        May 4th. Here are my thoughts as course director, plus some summary of our
        participant evaluations. Vulcan District has 25 packs, at least 2 of which
        are new and do not yet have Webelos and possibly not even Bears.

        We had offered the Friday night + Saturday format in the past and cancelled
        more than once for low registration (<5). In fact, no one could remember the
        last time the course had actually been taught - although one person
        confessed to taking it 10 YEARS ago. I took it on with the guarantee that
        no one would cancel the course on me despite low numbers. Given the history
        we decided to try to try the one-day. We had 18 in attendance, 16 from our
        district. We were very pleased with that response.

        We held the session concurrently with the weekend-long BS-level Outdoor
        Leader Skills training. There was room at the camp for us to have our own
        pavilion, and the trainers for many of the events were already in place for
        OLS. Virtually all of our trainers were BS rather than CS. (I had 3
        cub-only staffers.) The positives - they had some well-developed sites and
        training methods for some stuff like Rope & Knots, Woods Tools, etc. I could
        NEVER have pulled this staff together just for Web training. The Web
        leaders got to see the OLS patrols. They were a bit bemused, and the OLS
        staff were equally as puzzled by the Web leaders. I warned the OLS staff
        that "Wear your uniform" to a bunch of Cubbers in our district would pull
        out some amazing clothing but they did not believe it in advance. It was a
        good learning experience on both sides. The negatives -- Boy Scouters just
        are not as familiar with the Cub Scout program, and despite reminders in
        advance kept suggesting things that Webelos just can't do as a den - like
        canoing. It really grated on Web Leaders who WANT to do those things and
        feel constrained by those particular rules. The solution next year will be
        to add more Cub trainers and use OLS trainers in skills areas only. Will be
        easier now that the people I want to use will have taken the course - this
        year they all wanted to sign up so they could get their Knot credit. :-)

        However, there is a bigger problem. As CubBobwhite mentioned, there is a new
        OWLS format being "test-driven" at a couple of spots around the nation this
        spring. (This was on Scouts-L, by the way, in late April.) This problem may
        be addressed by the new syllabus. The problem is that OWLS current syllabus
        is very duplicative of BALOO. People who took both (almost 1/2 of attendees)
        were fairly displeased. The only substantive difference was training on four
        Activity Badges - Geology, Outdoorsman, Naturalist and Forester @ 20 minutes
        apiece. It may require the camping overnight to differentiate the two -- but
        our Webelos leaders just don't want that. (Your experience may be completely
        different, as CBW's is.) So it's a dilemma, one that I hope will be resolved
        by the new Syllabus in a year or so.

        The other Syllabus problem can be combatted with some attention paid in
        advance - but since it is very old, it uses incorrect references for almost
        **everything** - CS Leader Book, How2 Book etc. I made a careful mark-up of
        the old syllabus before I shared it with the staff, then helped them get
        current CS literature for review. The trick was, it was so old that the
        references were older than the "old" materials that I had. That is, the CSLB
        references didn't refer to the book in use prior to the November 2001
        version. So when a reference was fairly oblique it took some creative
        translation. You've obviously been at this longer than I so you may have a
        stockpile of older literature to aid in translation.

        Other details - we charged $10 each, $7 of which went for food. Since we
        have a habitual late registration problem we charged $13 for registration
        after the Saturday before the event. The only other expense was purchasing
        the outdoor code cards at 7 cents each. The photocopying was all donated --
        but we didn't have the level of resources that CubBobwhite did either!!
        (Sounded very impressive.) I bought a couple of Webelos flags but took them
        back to my pack afterwards and the pack paid for them.

        Promotion. We did a Cub Leader Basic Training session in March and promoted
        there to Webelos leader specific and Cubmaster groups. Took to April CSRT -
        but almost no one was there. Then emailed twice, once to Cubmasters, and
        once 2 weeks later to all Cub Scouters on our email files. (We did not have
        a Webelos specific list, and it would not have identified Bear leaders who
        would be moving up, anyway.) I also did personal email and a few personal
        calls to people I knew who had mentioned wanting the course. Our Service
        Area headquarters with excellent Scout Shop is in our District
        geographically -- posted it on the bulletin board there. Our problem is
        baseball season - a huge percentage of the Webelos play baseball (some
        soccer) and lots of the leaders are also coaches.

        Finally, I put my email and phone number on EVERYTHING, including on every
        email that goes out even if it's sent by our DE instead of me. I did not
        have a single attendee I wasn't expecting (a big deal in our district)
        although several contacted me for the first time w/in 48 hours of event.

        That's all I can think of. Our trainees were complimentary despite the
        overlap with BALOO. They especially liked the opportunity to network, and
        they did a lot of that. Oh yes, the 1-day syllabus had too much downtime
        around suppertime. My group became restive at that point.

        Good luck, and let me know if you need anything else!
        Teresa Hall
        Pack 321 CC, Hoover AL
        Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
        Greater AL Council
      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2002
          Teresa Hall wrote, among other things...

          [snip]
          > We held the session concurrently with the weekend-long BS-level
          > Outdoor Leader Skills training. There was room at the camp for
          > us to have our own pavilion, and the trainers for many of the
          > events were already in place for OLS. Virtually all of our
          > trainers were BS rather than CS. (I had 3 cub-only staffers.)
          > The positives - they had some well-developed sites and training
          > methods for some stuff like Rope & Knots, Woods Tools, etc. I
          > could NEVER have pulled this staff together just for Web
          > training.

          [snip]

          > good learning experience on both sides. The negatives -- Boy
          > Scouters just are not as familiar with the Cub Scout program, and
          > despite reminders in advance kept suggesting things that Webelos
          > just can't do as a den - like canoing. It really grated on Web
          > Leaders who WANT to do those things and feel constrained by those
          > particular rules. The solution next year will be to add more Cub
          > trainers and use OLS trainers in skills areas only. Will be
          > easier now that the people I want to use will have taken the
          > course - this year they all wanted to sign up so they could get
          > their Knot credit. :-)
          [snip]

          Actually, I think the idea is a good one. "Use your resources" --
          where have we hear that one before?

          As far as the program differences leading to problems with what the
          Webelos can and cannot do, I think a word to the WDLs who are
          enrolled to the effect that "You may hear about things during this
          course that are not allowed the Webelos or Cubs. Keep in mind that
          most of the trainers here are from the Boy Scouts, and may not be
          familiar with the Webelos or Cub Scout programs" Would suffice.

          Remember, every Cub leader that you bring in for the training is
          going to duplicate some protion of what a Boy Scout leader is
          already doing there.

          YiS,

          Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. --- mailto:antelope95@...
          I "used to be" an Antelope! WEM-10-95 Member DNRC
          Firebird District Committee Member at Large -- Grand Canyon Council
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Ken Todd
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2002
            Jamie,

            With 47 Packs, I don't see any reason that you cannot run a successful
            WLOT Course. You need to be aware that the course is being rewritten.
            By now a couple of pilots should have been executed. The current goal
            is to present the course at the National Meeting in June. Shortly
            thereafter we should be receiving the new syllabus and get an idea of
            how to execute the course. It is my understanding that the course is
            designed to be run by a District.

            I would suggest that you contact your Council Training Chair to
            determine what your Council's plans are for implementing the updated
            course. Each Council's plans may be slightly different, so I do not
            want to suggest you contradict them without knowing what they are.

            Keep up the good work.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Ken Todd, Dist Training Chairman
            NE-CS-59 Beaver

            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2002
              Hi Jamie,

              We ran an OWL (Outdoor Webelos Leader Training) in April and had a
              blast! Until this year my Council ran this but attendance from my
              district was light. We had 15 people attend and 5 Adult Staff and 2
              Venturers as Youth Staff. the fee was $25.00 and included 3 meals,
              Cracker Barrell, a large handout and a tshirt. We made the t-shirts with
              iron on sheets printed on the computer. Everyone seemed to have a great
              time and we had a number of folks who had conflicts and want another one
              which we have scheduled for August.

              YIS,
              Kris Swank
              OT District Training Chair