Intro & help w/dilema

  • hikinmama
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2002
      Hi. My new position is Santa Fe District Training Chair in Quivira
      Council, Kansas. I've worn many hats & been around awhile in
      Scouting. Two adult eagle sons, daughter driving to Philmont today
      to start her 6th summer in the Ranger dept, this being her 2nd year
      as Associate Chief Ranger... I've hiked 4 treks at Philmont, been a
      Powder Horn course director, Wood Badge staffer, & recently received
      the Central Region Venturing Leadership Award. I also moderate the
      Powderhorn yahoo group & I'm the webmaster for www.powderhorn-bsa.org

      Our council covers a large geographic area (aprox 290 miles from SE
      corner to NW corner of the council). We are a lower populated
      district away from the urban office. Anyway, on to my delima...

      I have just stepped into the district Training Chair position in the
      last month. For many years previous, we've not had an over-all
      training chair in our district, but separate chairs & training
      committees for Cubs & Boy Scouts. A year ago when that magical box
      of new training material was received, it was divided up &
      distributed hither & yon... and nobody has a good handle of what was
      in the box & where it all went. I was also very involved in running
      my Powder Horn course and didn't give much thought to 'new stuff' at
      the time. Also about the time that this material arrived, those
      training chairs were also in the process of resigning due to other
      committments in their life & our district has been in limbo since.
      Hense, I find that my tools of the trade are missing. I have only
      the Boy Scout Specific, Outdoor Skills, & Boy Scout committee
      packets. I have no New Leader Essentials materials, no Cub
      materials, & no Venturing materials (other than personal items I own
      & I feel I'm in great shape w/Venturing). I don't even know what
      all was in that box so that I can tell the council office what I
      need to replenish everything. Were fast start tapes in the box?
      What about YPT videos? CD's? I found a paper in the box that
      sounded like maybe even the Trainer Development Conference materials
      were in there?

      That is what I need to know from the list now - what is missing? I
      am ready & anxious to get the ball rolling, but first I need to
      inflate this flat tire so it can roll.

      Signe Rogers
      Training Chair
      Santa Fe Trail District
      Quivira Council, Kansas
    • doublelope
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., "hikinmama" <HikinMama@i...> wrote:
        "I don't even know what all was in that box so that I can tell the
        council office what I need to replenish everything. Were fast start
        tapes in the box? What about YPT videos? CD's? I found a paper in
        the box that sounded like maybe even the Trainer Development
        Conference materials were in there?

        > That is what I need to know from the list now - what is missing? I
        > am ready & anxious to get the ball rolling, but first I need to
        > inflate this flat tire so it can roll."
        >
        > Signe Rogers
        > Training Chair
        > Santa Fe Trail District
        > Quivira Council, Kansas

        Signe: In answer to your question. The Cub Scout Training contains
        the poster set, syllubus with CD-rom, 3 copies of the Cub Scout
        Leader Specific video. Venturing would have the same items, etc only
        one video tape. The box also contained a copy of the Trainer
        Development Conference. Fast Start tapes are not part of the
        training box, nor is the Youth Protection tape. These items are
        separate.

        Hope this helps. And good luck with your new Scouting job.

        Linda Goff
        Council Cub Scout Training Chair
        Great Smoky Mountain Council
      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2002
          Signe asked:
          >Were fast start tapes in the box?
          >What about YPT videos? CD's? I found a paper in the box >that sounded like maybe even the Trainer Development >Conference materials were in there?
          >That is what I need to know from the list now - what is >missing? I am ready & anxious to get the ball rolling, but >first I need to inflate this flat tire so it can roll.

          First of all - welcome!
          Next, some answers:
          None of the Fast Start materials were included in "the box" (However more later)
          Older Youth protection materials were not included.
          Trainer Development Course materials _were_ included. The whole course (syllablus, overheads, handouts and one PowerPoint presentation) are on a single CD (Look for an orange CD that says "BSA 500")

          There should be:
          A purple "briefcase" containing NLE tape, syllabus (with CD) posters and little cardboard bridges.
          A blue "briefcase" containing Cub Scout specific tape, syllabi (5)(with CD) and posters.
          A green "briefcase" with Venturing tape (including the Personal Safety Awareness material), syllabus (with CD) and posters.

          I understand from others on the list that there is now a further "briefcase" (Orange I believe) with Varsity Scout materials. This new case (issued after "the box") includes the new Boy Scout Leader Fast Start.

          I only do NLE, Cub Training & YPT myself, so can't answer further questions about other materials, but would be happy to answer anything more, if I can.

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          Pack Trainer
          P.512
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District
        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2002
            A complete listing of what was in the 2001 kits, on an order form that you can send in to National to get replacement items, is loaded here,
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t/files/Basic%20Leader%20Training%20Files/training_order.pdf . As you can see, the Venturing kits included the Venturing Fast Start and Venturing Youth Protection tapes which
            is different as Venturing can be co-ed, raising other problems.

            Recently National issued the long awaited Varsity "brief case" with the new Boy Scout Leader Fast Start tape, 34877 - Varsity folks ARE Boy Scouts- the Varsity Syllabus, # 34877, and a set of Varsity
            posters, #34884. A order form included in the package also announced a Cub Scout Recruiting PSA video, and a Cub Scout: Fun at Every Turn Song video, another Cub Scout recruiting aid.

            If it is not too late, you might try to go to one of the Boy Scout Training sessions at Philmont this summer, where you will learn a lot more about the program and may be given the chance to buy many of
            these items at reduced cost.

            Dave

            JNDunnMN@... wrote:

            > Signe asked:
            > >Were fast start tapes in the box?
            > >What about YPT videos? CD's? I found a paper in the box >that sounded like maybe even the Trainer Development >Conference materials were in there?
            > >That is what I need to know from the list now - what is >missing? I am ready & anxious to get the ball rolling, but >first I need to inflate this flat tire so it can roll.
            >
            > First of all - welcome!
            > Next, some answers:
            > None of the Fast Start materials were included in "the box" (However more later)
            > Older Youth protection materials were not included.
            > Trainer Development Course materials _were_ included. The whole course (syllablus, overheads, handouts and one PowerPoint presentation) are on a single CD (Look for an orange CD that says "BSA 500")
            >
            > There should be:
            > A purple "briefcase" containing NLE tape, syllabus (with CD) posters and little cardboard bridges.
            > A blue "briefcase" containing Cub Scout specific tape, syllabi (5)(with CD) and posters.
            > A green "briefcase" with Venturing tape (including the Personal Safety Awareness material), syllabus (with CD) and posters.
            >
            > I understand from others on the list that there is now a further "briefcase" (Orange I believe) with Varsity Scout materials. This new case (issued after "the box") includes the new Boy Scout Leader Fast Start.
            >
            > I only do NLE, Cub Training & YPT myself, so can't answer further questions about other materials, but would be happy to answer anything more, if I can.
            >
            > YiS,
            > Jamie Dunn
            > Pack Trainer
            > P.512