minimum required for training

  • doublelope@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3 10:28 AM
      I agree with the rest, on not canceling training. Here in Great
      Smoky Mountain Council, we strongly discourage districts from
      cancelling any training. As was stated by several others, if you get
      the reputation of canceling, people won't sign up. As for outdoor
      training, we do that council wide, instead of by district. Each
      district has attendence goals, which does help in our getting a
      decent turn out. Personally, if only one person shows up, it's worth
      my time to give them the training. That's just one more person who's
      trained.
      Linda Goff
      Great Smoky Mountain Council
      Oak Ridge, TN
    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3 4:45 PM
        I have watched this thread with interest, waiting for someone to bring
        up what is probably the driving force in our area - finances. As
        District Training Chair, I am under pressure to never go over budget, so
        we have to set minimums for a break even point. Within the past year,
        our Council will not approve a budget unless it shows a 7% allowance for
        insurance, a 10% allowance for contingency PLUS it has to show a bottom
        line profit. So, while my precourse budget always follows these
        guidelines, my final financial report will always include the 7%
        insurance assessment, but will not allow a 10% + overage.

        I agree that it would be worth my TIME to train one person, it would not
        be financially feasible.

        Judy Yeager
        SFT District Training Chair, HOAC
      • CubBobwhite
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3 4:53 PM
          From: "Judy Yeager" <jscout@...>

          " I agree that it would be worth my TIME to train one person, it would not
          be financially feasible."

          Here in Blue Water we charge $5- for CSLBT if we are serving a lunch, other
          wise it is free. The council pays for printing the handouts, supplies the
          trained patch and the training card. We charge $15- for OWL and $25- for
          SMF, which just has to cover food. We get free use of the buildings and
          campsites at our Council camp, which is centrally located within the council
          boundries. I guess I've got it good.

          --------
          Leslie Herman
          http://powwow-online.com
          CubBobwhite (EC-CS-19)
          ScoutBuffalo (C-33-98)
          Edison District Training Chairman
          Blue Water Council - Port Huron, Michigan
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 7:29 AM
            At Greater St. Louis Area Council, the participants are charged
            $12 for Cub Scout Basic Leader Training, in which they receive
            a Participant's Notebook, and the Leader's Handbook. If they
            already have their Leader's Handbook, then the charge is $7,
            I think (not sure about that price, I"ll check it out later).

            We hold training as long as one person has signed up in
            the Herrin Service Center ahead of time. We will NOT hold
            training if no one has signed up, even though some leaders
            say "we have XX leaders coming to your training day" ....
            because more often than not, if they don't have time to
            call and sign up -- they're not going to come to training.

            Deb Morrow
            corzines@...
            Kaskaskia District, GSLAC