Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Questions about the Scouter's Training Award and Key and Arrowhead Honor Award

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
      At one time Cub Scouters could earn the Scouters Taining Award AND the
      Scouters Key, the green and green and the green and white knots, on a background
      of your choice - used to be blue for Cub Scouters.

      Later on, first the Cubmaster and then the various other positions IN
      CUBBING ONLY, got their own awards, usually a medal on a suspension ribbon worn
      around the neck, usually in some combination of bloue and yellow, as were the
      knots representing these awards. I( suppose this was in response to the many
      different adult leadership positions required in Cub Scouting, but I don't
      know. Now these knots are used in Boy Scouting and Venturing for the Key
      Leader, and the other workers, with devices indicating the program in which the
      award was earned.

      The cutoff date for earning the Scouters Key and Training Award in Cub
      Scouting was 31 December 1988. tHis was well after the Cubmasters Award and the
      other leader awards were made available, but allowed for folks who had been
      working on one of these awards to complete it.

      Dave

      "Larry D. Ohs, Attorney at Law" wrote:

      > . I don't remember the specific award, but some Cub
      > Scout leader award (I think it was Cubmaster) used to use the green knot on
      > tan, which is now used for a Boy Scout level award. A good Scouter friend of
      > mine wears the Cub Scout device on his green knot since he earned that award
      > about ten years ago in Cub Scouting.
      >

      > Larry Ohs

      Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
      1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
    • emb021
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 7:26 AM
        --- In scouter_t@y..., Dave Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
        > At one time Cub Scouters could earn the Scouters Taining
        Award AND the
        > Scouters Key, the green and green and the green and white knots, on
        a background
        > of your choice - used to be blue for Cub Scouters.

        The Scouter's Training Award since the 1950s could be earned by Boy
        Scout leaders, Cub Scout leaders, Sea Explorer leaders, and Explorer
        leaders. The knot was available on khaki, forest green, navy blue,
        and white for the khaki (Boy & Cub Scout leaders), forest green
        (Exploring), and navy blue & white (Sea Exploring) uniforms. The
        knot devices indicated what program(s) you earned it in.

        The Scouter's Key since the 1950s could be earned by Scoutmasters,
        Cubmasters, Skippers, and Advisors. It, too, was available on khaki,
        green, white, and navy blue.

        The different colored backings was dropped in 1979.

        Michael Brown
        Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564
      • Tom Tremain
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4 12:46 AM
          I do not find any reference to a Cub Scout leader being able to earn the
          Scouter's Training Award.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4 12:40 PM
            Becaue that option ceased around Dec 88. Now they earn the award for
            the position in which they serve, or the Cub Scouter Award if they are
            Committee or some other position without a specific award.

            Dave

            Tom Tremain wrote:

            > I do not find any reference to a Cub Scout leader being able to earn the
            > Scouter's Training Award.

            Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
            1094 Woodbury Ave. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-3225
          • Gary C Burkhardt
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4 6:02 PM
              A member of the Cub Scout Roundtable staff may earn the Scouter's
              Training Award which they would wear with the Cub Scout device.

              Gary Burkhardt
              Suffolk County Council Training Chairman