Re: JLT

  • Lorie McGraw
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 15 7:59 PM
      At 07:10 PM 4/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:22:05 -0000
      > From: "redhotladyscorpion" <redhotladyscorpion@...>
      >Subject: Re: New Boy Scout Fast Start is out, and JLT, too
      >
      >Lorri -
      >
      >You mean that JLT has not been Troop Level/Scoutmaster led before
      >just recently?

      No.
      The troop level JLT has always been out there (6-8 hour team building for
      small groups of 10-15 boys, with video tape and the Blind Circle, Potato
      Game, and Trust Fall, plus others). Led by Scoutmaster and ASM with the
      boys in his patrols, it is like Basic Leader Training. The syllabus was
      revised last year, but the tape was delayed until it's release this
      year. But the tape is identical in all ways to the original one.

      The "Junior Leader Training >Conference<" is the larger 1 week course
      offered by Councils under many names (like Silver Pines) and is many boys
      from many troops. Like a Junior Woodbadge.

      >Although I just joined the troop a year ago, I am under the
      >impression that they have been hosting Troop Level JLT for a good
      >number of years. Our leadership rotates out every 6 months, how
      >would you get new leaders to JLT in a timely fashion if it were not
      >offered at the troop level?

      It is. Sorry if there is any confusion. The tape that I reviewed was for
      the Scoutmaster led version at the troop level. I have never seen the
      Council level/week-long course.

      >Our council offers "Silver Pines" (which has been described to me as
      >being the "Wood Badge" for Boy Scouts in leadership positions) twice
      >a year. The 2 times are over the winter break (from school) and
      >during the summer. Usually would be too late for a new group of
      >leaders as our elections are in August and February.

      Lorie

    • Ken Todd
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16 11:36 PM
        Lorie,

        Be careful with your use of the word "always".

        I do not remember the Troop JLT Course being available when I was a
        youth leader or an Assistant Scoutmaster, 20 years ago. That it why
        developing a Troop JLT course was what my Boy Scout Wood Badge ticket
        was built around.

        I will say that the Troop JLT has been there for at least 7 years when
        my oldest joined his first Troop. Beyond that I cannot say as it was
        implemented either while I was out of the program in the late 80's, or
        only involved in the Cub Scout program in the early 90's.

        Yours in Scouting,
        Ken
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17 1:25 AM
          Ken wrote: Be careful with your use of the word "always".<snip> I will say
          that the Troop JLT <snip> was implemented either while I was out of the
          program in the late 80's, or only involved in the Cub Scout program in the
          early 90's.

          I would agree with Ken. When I became involved in training on the District
          level in the mid to late 80's, JLT was a District course. I remember the
          hub bub when it was removed from the District Training "menu" and the
          responsibility was transferred to the unit. That would have been late
          80's - early 90's.

          Judy Yeager
        • Lorie McGraw
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18 6:13 AM
            At 06:16 PM 4/17/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            > From: Ken Todd <krtodd@...>
            >Subject: JLT
            >
            >Lorie,
            >
            >Be careful with your use of the word "always".I do not remember the Troop
            >JLT Course being available when I was a youth leader or an Assistant
            >Scoutmaster, 20 years ago.

            Ken, are you a lawyer? <very big grin>
            Cheers (and chuckling)
            Lorie