Re: New Boy Scout Fast Start is out, and JLT, too

  • redhotladyscorpion
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 14, 2002
      Lorri -

      You mean that JLT has not been Troop Level/Scoutmaster led before
      just recently?

      Although I just joined the troop a year ago, I am under the
      impression that they have been hosting Troop Level JLT for a good
      number of years. Our leadership rotates out every 6 months, how
      would you get new leaders to JLT in a timely fashion if it were not
      offered at the troop level?

      Our council offers "Silver Pines" (which has been described to me as
      being the "Wood Badge" for Boy Scouts in leadership positions) twice
      a year. The 2 times are over the winter break (from school) and
      during the summer. Usually would be too late for a new group of
      leaders as our elections are in August and February.
    • emb021
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 15, 2002
        --- In scouter_t@y..., "redhotladyscorpion" <redhotladyscorpion@y...>
        wrote:
        > Lorri -
        >
        > You mean that JLT has not been Troop Level/Scoutmaster led before
        > just recently?
        >
        > Although I just joined the troop a year ago, I am under the
        > impression that they have been hosting Troop Level JLT for a good
        > number of years. Our leadership rotates out every 6 months, how
        > would you get new leaders to JLT in a timely fashion if it were not
        > offered at the troop level?

        You need to understand a little of how Junior Leader training works.

        Like adult training, JL has several levels of training, with
        different groups responsible for different levels. These have
        changed over the years, but basicially you have:

        Junior Leader Orientation. This is a one-on-one orientation between
        the JL and Scoutmaster to go over their position.

        Junior Leader Training Workshop. (think that is the name) This is a
        SM/Troop-run event following the "Scoutmaster's JL Training Kit"
        (#34306) Most run this in a retreat-format as a training event and
        planning event for the troop.

        Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do 2
        weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
        #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior Leaders',
        and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've never
        heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
        other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.

        Junior Leader Training Instructor's Course. This is a week-long
        course taught at Philmont to train the boys who will be the SPL for
        their council's JLTC course.

        At one time there was a district-level course in between JLTW &
        JLTC. Also, some troops do their own expanded JL training. Check
        out the Leadership Training Committee book for more info. Another JL
        Course missing from the above list is the OA's National Leadership
        Seminar.

        Hope this helps

        Michael Brown
        Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564
      • redhotladyscorpion
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2002
          Oh, thank you so much!! That does help the picture become a little
          clearer!
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 16, 2002
            > ----------
            > From: emb021
            >
            > Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Boy Scout Fast Start is out, and JLT,
            > too

            Snip
            > Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do 2
            > weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
            > #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior Leaders',
            > and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've never
            > heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
            > other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.

            Powder Horn is something entirely different. It is sort of adult
            training for running 'high-adventure' outings. I was asked, but
            will not be able to attend my Council's first Powder Horn course.

            Pete
          • emb021
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2002
              --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
              <mullaney@p...> wrote:
              > > ----------
              > > From: emb021
              > >
              > Snip
              > > Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do
              2
              > > weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
              > > #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior
              Leaders',
              > > and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've
              never
              > > heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
              > > other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.
              > >

              > Powder Horn is something entirely different. It is sort of adult
              > training for running 'high-adventure' outings. I was asked, but
              > will not be able to attend my Council's first Powder Horn course.

              Sorry, was NOT talking about that course. Am fully aware of Powder
              Horn training, and plan on taking one of the Florida PH courses this
              fall.

              Many councils give their JLTC Courses names. One council calls their
              JLTC "Powderhorn". Other names are Brownsea, Pine Tree, etc, which
              was my point. Some people may not understand that "JLTC" is a
              generic name.

              Michael Brown
              Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564