New Boy Scout Fast Start is out, and JLT, too

  • Lorie McGraw
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2002
      Sorry for the cross-post

      Just wanted to let people know that the new Boy Scout Fast Start tape is
      now available.
      AND
      the new (Troop level/Scoutmaster led) Junior Leader Training Tape is also
      available. The printed syllabus came out earlier this year, but this tape
      replaces the old one.

      I will be viewing them this weekend and let you know what I think.

      Check your Scout Stores
      YIS
      Lorie McGraw
      Columbia SC

    • redhotladyscorpion
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 14, 2002
        Lorri -

        You mean that JLT has not been Troop Level/Scoutmaster led before
        just recently?

        Although I just joined the troop a year ago, I am under the
        impression that they have been hosting Troop Level JLT for a good
        number of years. Our leadership rotates out every 6 months, how
        would you get new leaders to JLT in a timely fashion if it were not
        offered at the troop level?

        Our council offers "Silver Pines" (which has been described to me as
        being the "Wood Badge" for Boy Scouts in leadership positions) twice
        a year. The 2 times are over the winter break (from school) and
        during the summer. Usually would be too late for a new group of
        leaders as our elections are in August and February.
      • emb021
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 15, 2002
          --- In scouter_t@y..., "redhotladyscorpion" <redhotladyscorpion@y...>
          wrote:
          > Lorri -
          >
          > You mean that JLT has not been Troop Level/Scoutmaster led before
          > just recently?
          >
          > Although I just joined the troop a year ago, I am under the
          > impression that they have been hosting Troop Level JLT for a good
          > number of years. Our leadership rotates out every 6 months, how
          > would you get new leaders to JLT in a timely fashion if it were not
          > offered at the troop level?

          You need to understand a little of how Junior Leader training works.

          Like adult training, JL has several levels of training, with
          different groups responsible for different levels. These have
          changed over the years, but basicially you have:

          Junior Leader Orientation. This is a one-on-one orientation between
          the JL and Scoutmaster to go over their position.

          Junior Leader Training Workshop. (think that is the name) This is a
          SM/Troop-run event following the "Scoutmaster's JL Training Kit"
          (#34306) Most run this in a retreat-format as a training event and
          planning event for the troop.

          Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do 2
          weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
          #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior Leaders',
          and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've never
          heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
          other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.

          Junior Leader Training Instructor's Course. This is a week-long
          course taught at Philmont to train the boys who will be the SPL for
          their council's JLTC course.

          At one time there was a district-level course in between JLTW &
          JLTC. Also, some troops do their own expanded JL training. Check
          out the Leadership Training Committee book for more info. Another JL
          Course missing from the above list is the OA's National Leadership
          Seminar.

          Hope this helps

          Michael Brown
          Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564
        • redhotladyscorpion
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 15, 2002
            Oh, thank you so much!! That does help the picture become a little
            clearer!
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2002
              > ----------
              > From: emb021
              >
              > Subject: [Scouter_T] Re: New Boy Scout Fast Start is out, and JLT,
              > too

              Snip
              > Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do 2
              > weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
              > #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior Leaders',
              > and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've never
              > heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
              > other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.

              Powder Horn is something entirely different. It is sort of adult
              training for running 'high-adventure' outings. I was asked, but
              will not be able to attend my Council's first Powder Horn course.

              Pete
            • emb021
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 16, 2002
                --- In scouter_t@y..., "Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]"
                <mullaney@p...> wrote:
                > > ----------
                > > From: emb021
                > >
                > Snip
                > > Junior Leader Training Conference. This is a week-long (some do
                2
                > > weekends) event run by the Council following the JLTC syllabus
                > > #34553A. It can loosely be called 'Wood Badge for Junior
                Leaders',
                > > and supposedly it will be updated in a year or so. If you've
                never
                > > heard of "JLTC", don't be suprised. Many, many councils give it
                > > other names: Pine Tree, Powder Horn, Silver Panther, etc.
                > >

                > Powder Horn is something entirely different. It is sort of adult
                > training for running 'high-adventure' outings. I was asked, but
                > will not be able to attend my Council's first Powder Horn course.

                Sorry, was NOT talking about that course. Am fully aware of Powder
                Horn training, and plan on taking one of the Florida PH courses this
                fall.

                Many councils give their JLTC Courses names. One council calls their
                JLTC "Powderhorn". Other names are Brownsea, Pine Tree, etc, which
                was my point. Some people may not understand that "JLTC" is a
                generic name.

                Michael Brown
                Venturing Crews #1838 & 2564