Cub Scout Crisis

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
      bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
      know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
      to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

      I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
      boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
      frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
      more than a little pit per minute.

      By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
      little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
      you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
      reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
      index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
      take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
      could turn down such a piddling request?
      "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
      Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
      (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
      "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
      your office, please?"
      "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
      meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
      "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
      a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
      for just 15 minutes?"
      "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
      for us? Gee, that would be great."

      You get the idea.....

      THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
      even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
      helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
      ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
      all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
      cheer.

      It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
      people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
      will do for a little bit of recognition.

      YiS
      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
      Training Committee Chair
      NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
      Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
      I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
        I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
        subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
        was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
        that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
        Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
        for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
        who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

        I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
        RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
        Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
        give her some ways to start.

        By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
        but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

        Pete Mullaney