Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Crisis

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      Ida Lively wrote:

      >Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
      >sons scouting adventure?

      Kids join Scouting because they want to have fun, they are looking for
      adventure, they want to do things they can't always do in the normal
      course of their lives. AND, they rely on you, their parents and leaders,
      to provide those opportunities and to make this program we call
      "Scouting" work.

      Most Unit leaders have a vision of what Scouting is really all about,
      and a desire to provide this program for their Scouts. But they sometime
      fail to adequately share this vision with the parents and other adult
      leaders in their unit. Consequently, many units suffer from a lack of
      the adult help necessary to make the program work. So, what is the best
      thing you, as a parent or leader, can do to ensure the success of your
      Unit and your Scouting program? Actually two things: 1) share the
      "vision" of Scouting with ALL your parents by by educating them in the
      real PURPOSE and VALUE of the Scouting program, and 2) get your leaders
      trained, each and every one of them!

      When you look around at the most successful units in Scouting, they
      almost always have two things in common - they have a "vision" of the
      purpose and value of the program, and, in part because of that vision,
      they have trained trained leaders ...lots of them. Training is not
      always a guarantee of a successful program, but it's been shown to be
      the single most important factor in those units who have successful
      programs. In fact, studies have shown that units with more than 10
      trained leaders are four times more likely to have a good Scouting
      program than those with fewer than 5 registered adults.

      The greatest legacy you could leave your children is a strong set of
      values, a belief in God, and the character traits and self-confidence to
      become a success in whatever they choose to do in life. Scouting can
      help you leave this legacy. Millions of kids have benefited from the
      Scouting program for over 92 years. This is the vision and mission of
      Scoutng: "...to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their
      lifetime by instilling in them the VALUES of the Scout Oath and Law."

      So, support your Scouting program ...get the "vision" and get trained!
      James Ball
      Sand Lake District Training Chair
      Central Florida Council (Orlando)
    • Dan Kurtenbach
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
        Ida Lively wrote: "Here is my question, how do you get parents to become
        more involved in their sons scouting adventure?"

        And James Ball responded in part: "Kids join Scouting because they want to
        have fun, they are looking for adventure, they want to do things they can't
        always do in the normal course of their lives."

        Well, the same is true for parents. My personal view is that the best way
        to get and keep parents involved in the program is to make it at least as
        much for them as for the kids. Dedication to ideals and values and the
        desire to see your son grow up to be a good man are important, and go a long
        way. But if you have a program where the parents are having fun right along
        with the kids, are enjoying watching what the kids are doing and enjoying
        each others' company, parents will want to participate. Everyone likes to
        do fun things rather than do work, and parents are no exception. Keep in
        mind that almost every hour of a kid activity is an hour of the parents'
        time as well. They need fun and entertainment as much as--actually, more
        than--their sons. On the other hand, if you continually emphasize that it
        takes a lot of work to make Scouting go, and how frazzled you are, how much
        help you need, and you keep begging for volunteers, no one will want to help
        because all you are talking about is hard work. It's simple, really: Show
        everyone how much fun *you* are having, and then ask them to join in. Those
        who can have fun Scouting will join in--and those are the kind of people you
        want as Scout leaders. Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't having
        fun yourself--everyone can see it. And if your program doesn't provide
        opportunities for your parents to have fun as well, change your program.

        In my view, using guilt to get parental involvement is simply not the way to
        go. I can't abide "assigning" parents to tasks they don't want or taking
        the "no participation, no program" approach. I don't like it done to me,
        and I won't do it to anyone else.

        Oh, and by the way--parents who are enjoying Scouting can get the same kind
        of character/citizenship/fitness benefits that the boys are . . .

        Dan Kurtenbach
        Fairfax, VA

      • wahowland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
          Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
          bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
          know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
          to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

          I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
          boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
          frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
          more than a little pit per minute.

          By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
          little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
          you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
          reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
          index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
          take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
          could turn down such a piddling request?
          "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
          Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
          (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
          "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
          your office, please?"
          "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
          meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
          "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
          a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
          for just 15 minutes?"
          "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
          for us? Gee, that would be great."

          You get the idea.....

          THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
          even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
          helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
          ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
          all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
          cheer.

          It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
          people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
          will do for a little bit of recognition.

          YiS
          Auntie Beans
          Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
          Training Committee Chair
          NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
          Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
          I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
            I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
            subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
            was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
            that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
            Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
            for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
            who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

            I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
            RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
            Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
            give her some ways to start.

            By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
            but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

            Pete Mullaney