Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Crisis

  • Ned Darden
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      --- Ida Lively <glezen@...> wrote:
      > On my pop up camping board, I came across this. Do
      > you have any good
      > advice for her?

      One thing that finally got both my wifeand I involved
      was a requirement of the Webelos 1 & 2 leader that at
      least one parent in each family become a registered
      leader. Also required each family to be responsible
      for at least one activity pin.

      As a result, every family had at least one parent at
      every den meeting. Those not involved in working on
      activity pins, socialized and planned for coming
      meetings and outings. We camped on average every six
      weeks during Webelos 1 & 2 years. We did a couple of
      field trips and service projects as well.

      When boys were ready to crossover to Boy Scouts all
      but one had earned all 20 activity pins and AOL. Only
      one of the boys dropped out and did not continue in
      Boy Scouts.

      Of that group, one has made Eagle, and three others
      are Life Scouts working on Eagle. All the parents who
      were registered as Webelos leaders are now registered
      with the Troop. I;m beginning my 5th year as
      Scoutmaster in a Troop where annual changes in that
      position had been the norm. Both my wife and I
      completed Wood Badge (SR-254 Bobwhite & Owl) in 1999.

      My advice is to twist their arms and tell them that
      unless they sign on there will be no program for their
      sons. I think they will find that it's more fun for
      them than for the boys and will want to stay involved
      once they get their feet wet. Also if every parent
      signs on, they can split the work so that they might
      really approach the goal of "Only one hour a week."

      Ned Darden
      SM T451
      Pace, FL
      Bobwhite, SR-254
      Gulf Coast Council Training Staff

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
        Ida Lively wrote:

        >Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
        >sons scouting adventure?

        Kids join Scouting because they want to have fun, they are looking for
        adventure, they want to do things they can't always do in the normal
        course of their lives. AND, they rely on you, their parents and leaders,
        to provide those opportunities and to make this program we call
        "Scouting" work.

        Most Unit leaders have a vision of what Scouting is really all about,
        and a desire to provide this program for their Scouts. But they sometime
        fail to adequately share this vision with the parents and other adult
        leaders in their unit. Consequently, many units suffer from a lack of
        the adult help necessary to make the program work. So, what is the best
        thing you, as a parent or leader, can do to ensure the success of your
        Unit and your Scouting program? Actually two things: 1) share the
        "vision" of Scouting with ALL your parents by by educating them in the
        real PURPOSE and VALUE of the Scouting program, and 2) get your leaders
        trained, each and every one of them!

        When you look around at the most successful units in Scouting, they
        almost always have two things in common - they have a "vision" of the
        purpose and value of the program, and, in part because of that vision,
        they have trained trained leaders ...lots of them. Training is not
        always a guarantee of a successful program, but it's been shown to be
        the single most important factor in those units who have successful
        programs. In fact, studies have shown that units with more than 10
        trained leaders are four times more likely to have a good Scouting
        program than those with fewer than 5 registered adults.

        The greatest legacy you could leave your children is a strong set of
        values, a belief in God, and the character traits and self-confidence to
        become a success in whatever they choose to do in life. Scouting can
        help you leave this legacy. Millions of kids have benefited from the
        Scouting program for over 92 years. This is the vision and mission of
        Scoutng: "...to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their
        lifetime by instilling in them the VALUES of the Scout Oath and Law."

        So, support your Scouting program ...get the "vision" and get trained!
        James Ball
        Sand Lake District Training Chair
        Central Florida Council (Orlando)
      • Dan Kurtenbach
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
          Ida Lively wrote: "Here is my question, how do you get parents to become
          more involved in their sons scouting adventure?"

          And James Ball responded in part: "Kids join Scouting because they want to
          have fun, they are looking for adventure, they want to do things they can't
          always do in the normal course of their lives."

          Well, the same is true for parents. My personal view is that the best way
          to get and keep parents involved in the program is to make it at least as
          much for them as for the kids. Dedication to ideals and values and the
          desire to see your son grow up to be a good man are important, and go a long
          way. But if you have a program where the parents are having fun right along
          with the kids, are enjoying watching what the kids are doing and enjoying
          each others' company, parents will want to participate. Everyone likes to
          do fun things rather than do work, and parents are no exception. Keep in
          mind that almost every hour of a kid activity is an hour of the parents'
          time as well. They need fun and entertainment as much as--actually, more
          than--their sons. On the other hand, if you continually emphasize that it
          takes a lot of work to make Scouting go, and how frazzled you are, how much
          help you need, and you keep begging for volunteers, no one will want to help
          because all you are talking about is hard work. It's simple, really: Show
          everyone how much fun *you* are having, and then ask them to join in. Those
          who can have fun Scouting will join in--and those are the kind of people you
          want as Scout leaders. Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't having
          fun yourself--everyone can see it. And if your program doesn't provide
          opportunities for your parents to have fun as well, change your program.

          In my view, using guilt to get parental involvement is simply not the way to
          go. I can't abide "assigning" parents to tasks they don't want or taking
          the "no participation, no program" approach. I don't like it done to me,
          and I won't do it to anyone else.

          Oh, and by the way--parents who are enjoying Scouting can get the same kind
          of character/citizenship/fitness benefits that the boys are . . .

          Dan Kurtenbach
          Fairfax, VA

        • wahowland@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
            Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
            bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
            know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
            to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

            I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
            boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
            frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
            more than a little pit per minute.

            By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
            little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
            you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
            reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
            index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
            take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
            could turn down such a piddling request?
            "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
            Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
            (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
            "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
            your office, please?"
            "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
            meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
            "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
            a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
            for just 15 minutes?"
            "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
            for us? Gee, that would be great."

            You get the idea.....

            THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
            even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
            helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
            ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
            all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
            cheer.

            It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
            people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
            will do for a little bit of recognition.

            YiS
            Auntie Beans
            Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
            Training Committee Chair
            NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
            Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
            I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
              I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
              subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
              was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
              that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
              Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
              for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
              who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

              I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
              RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
              Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
              give her some ways to start.

              By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
              but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

              Pete Mullaney