Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Crisis

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      This will be in two parts, cause I'm including significant text from two
      documents that have been useful for our unit. First is from our pack handbook:

      Parent Involvement

      Scouting has three aims: Character Development, Citizenship Training, and
      Moral and Physical Fitness. In Cub Scouting we carry out these aims through
      these methods:
      The ideals of Scouting
      The den
      Advancement
      Family involvement
      Activities
      A home and neighborhood centered focus
      The uniform

      The Cub Scouting program is designed to include parents. The purpose is to
      increase communication in your family, and to give your Scout the valuable
      experience of spending one-on-one time with you. As parents you are Akela
      (Ah-kay-la) - the good leader, and share this responsibility with his den
      leader. As your son progresses from Tiger Cub to Boy Scout, your involvement
      in his Scouting career evolves just as he does.

      As Tiger Cubs, parents attend all meetings with their Scout, and participate
      in all activities. You sign the requirements in his handbook. You and the
      Tiger Cub Den leader plan one month's meetings and outings. You and your
      Tiger Cub host the meetings (not necessarily in your home) and direct the
      meetings you have planned - with the assistance of the den leader.

      The parents of Scouts in Wolf and Bear dens are also primarily responsible
      for assuring that their sons complete the requirement for their rank, and
      sign the requirements in the Scouts’ handbooks. Parents are encouraged to
      attend den meetings and to assist den leaders with activities, chaperoning
      field trips and arranging special events.

      The parents of Webelos Scouts become the support system for the Webelos den
      leader. As Webelos Scouts work on individual activity badges, parents serve
      as resources to help the den leader teach the skills the Scout learns in
      order to earn the badge. For instance, a parent who has construction
      experience would be the activity badge counselor for the Craftsman badge.

      In addition to assisting with den activities, parents have a great role to
      play in the success of the pack. You will see other parents serving on the
      pack committee, as den leaders, and on committees for special events and
      activities. None of these functions would be a success without the
      participation of parents, who after all, are the “owners” of the pack. Your
      sons’ successful Scouting experience is directly tied to the participation of
      parents in the life of the pack.

      While not every parent feels he or she is patient enough to be a den leader
      or organized enough to be the Treasurer, there is a role for every parent in
      pack activities. Your son will appreciate the fact that you care enough about
      him and his Scouting experience to become involved in a committee, or pack
      position.

      This year you will be asked to sign up for committees that will be
      responsible for:
      Pack Outings (there may be a single committee to arrange these, or one
      committee for each outing)
      Fundraising - three committees, for popcorn sales, wreath sales and
      the spring fundraiser
      Blue and Gold Banquet - Scouting’s annual birthday party in February
      Pinewood Derby
      Cake Auction - our November parent/Scout cake bake and auction
      Holiday party - our December celebration
      Camping - responsible for coordinating Day Camp, Fun with Son and the
      pack campout.
      It may be the case that if not enough parents sign up to fill all the spaces
      available, parents will be assigned to committees. However, we doubt that
      this will necessary. We are confident that all parents want to make a
      contribution to the pack, so that they can demonstrate to their Scouts the
      importance of being part of their community.

      There are many resources available to help you with your committee
      activities, including training, available from the pack and from the council.

      You want your son to get as much out of Scouting as is possible. A healthy
      pack is one which offers Scouts many opportunities. Parents are the key to a
      successful pack.

      YiS,
      Jamie Dunn
      P.512
      Pack Trainer
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District
    • Ned Darden
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
        --- Ida Lively <glezen@...> wrote:
        > On my pop up camping board, I came across this. Do
        > you have any good
        > advice for her?

        One thing that finally got both my wifeand I involved
        was a requirement of the Webelos 1 & 2 leader that at
        least one parent in each family become a registered
        leader. Also required each family to be responsible
        for at least one activity pin.

        As a result, every family had at least one parent at
        every den meeting. Those not involved in working on
        activity pins, socialized and planned for coming
        meetings and outings. We camped on average every six
        weeks during Webelos 1 & 2 years. We did a couple of
        field trips and service projects as well.

        When boys were ready to crossover to Boy Scouts all
        but one had earned all 20 activity pins and AOL. Only
        one of the boys dropped out and did not continue in
        Boy Scouts.

        Of that group, one has made Eagle, and three others
        are Life Scouts working on Eagle. All the parents who
        were registered as Webelos leaders are now registered
        with the Troop. I;m beginning my 5th year as
        Scoutmaster in a Troop where annual changes in that
        position had been the norm. Both my wife and I
        completed Wood Badge (SR-254 Bobwhite & Owl) in 1999.

        My advice is to twist their arms and tell them that
        unless they sign on there will be no program for their
        sons. I think they will find that it's more fun for
        them than for the boys and will want to stay involved
        once they get their feet wet. Also if every parent
        signs on, they can split the work so that they might
        really approach the goal of "Only one hour a week."

        Ned Darden
        SM T451
        Pace, FL
        Bobwhite, SR-254
        Gulf Coast Council Training Staff

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Jim
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
          Ida Lively wrote:

          >Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
          >sons scouting adventure?

          Kids join Scouting because they want to have fun, they are looking for
          adventure, they want to do things they can't always do in the normal
          course of their lives. AND, they rely on you, their parents and leaders,
          to provide those opportunities and to make this program we call
          "Scouting" work.

          Most Unit leaders have a vision of what Scouting is really all about,
          and a desire to provide this program for their Scouts. But they sometime
          fail to adequately share this vision with the parents and other adult
          leaders in their unit. Consequently, many units suffer from a lack of
          the adult help necessary to make the program work. So, what is the best
          thing you, as a parent or leader, can do to ensure the success of your
          Unit and your Scouting program? Actually two things: 1) share the
          "vision" of Scouting with ALL your parents by by educating them in the
          real PURPOSE and VALUE of the Scouting program, and 2) get your leaders
          trained, each and every one of them!

          When you look around at the most successful units in Scouting, they
          almost always have two things in common - they have a "vision" of the
          purpose and value of the program, and, in part because of that vision,
          they have trained trained leaders ...lots of them. Training is not
          always a guarantee of a successful program, but it's been shown to be
          the single most important factor in those units who have successful
          programs. In fact, studies have shown that units with more than 10
          trained leaders are four times more likely to have a good Scouting
          program than those with fewer than 5 registered adults.

          The greatest legacy you could leave your children is a strong set of
          values, a belief in God, and the character traits and self-confidence to
          become a success in whatever they choose to do in life. Scouting can
          help you leave this legacy. Millions of kids have benefited from the
          Scouting program for over 92 years. This is the vision and mission of
          Scoutng: "...to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their
          lifetime by instilling in them the VALUES of the Scout Oath and Law."

          So, support your Scouting program ...get the "vision" and get trained!
          James Ball
          Sand Lake District Training Chair
          Central Florida Council (Orlando)
        • Dan Kurtenbach
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
            Ida Lively wrote: "Here is my question, how do you get parents to become
            more involved in their sons scouting adventure?"

            And James Ball responded in part: "Kids join Scouting because they want to
            have fun, they are looking for adventure, they want to do things they can't
            always do in the normal course of their lives."

            Well, the same is true for parents. My personal view is that the best way
            to get and keep parents involved in the program is to make it at least as
            much for them as for the kids. Dedication to ideals and values and the
            desire to see your son grow up to be a good man are important, and go a long
            way. But if you have a program where the parents are having fun right along
            with the kids, are enjoying watching what the kids are doing and enjoying
            each others' company, parents will want to participate. Everyone likes to
            do fun things rather than do work, and parents are no exception. Keep in
            mind that almost every hour of a kid activity is an hour of the parents'
            time as well. They need fun and entertainment as much as--actually, more
            than--their sons. On the other hand, if you continually emphasize that it
            takes a lot of work to make Scouting go, and how frazzled you are, how much
            help you need, and you keep begging for volunteers, no one will want to help
            because all you are talking about is hard work. It's simple, really: Show
            everyone how much fun *you* are having, and then ask them to join in. Those
            who can have fun Scouting will join in--and those are the kind of people you
            want as Scout leaders. Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't having
            fun yourself--everyone can see it. And if your program doesn't provide
            opportunities for your parents to have fun as well, change your program.

            In my view, using guilt to get parental involvement is simply not the way to
            go. I can't abide "assigning" parents to tasks they don't want or taking
            the "no participation, no program" approach. I don't like it done to me,
            and I won't do it to anyone else.

            Oh, and by the way--parents who are enjoying Scouting can get the same kind
            of character/citizenship/fitness benefits that the boys are . . .

            Dan Kurtenbach
            Fairfax, VA

          • wahowland@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
              Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
              bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
              know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
              to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

              I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
              boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
              frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
              more than a little pit per minute.

              By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
              little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
              you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
              reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
              index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
              take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
              could turn down such a piddling request?
              "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
              Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
              (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
              "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
              your office, please?"
              "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
              meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
              "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
              a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
              for just 15 minutes?"
              "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
              for us? Gee, that would be great."

              You get the idea.....

              THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
              even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
              helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
              ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
              all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
              cheer.

              It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
              people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
              will do for a little bit of recognition.

              YiS
              Auntie Beans
              Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
              Training Committee Chair
              NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
              Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
              I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
                I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
                subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
                was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
                that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
                Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
                for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
                who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

                I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
                RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
                Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
                give her some ways to start.

                By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
                but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

                Pete Mullaney