Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Scout Crisis

  • E S Meyers
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      In my own experience, you have to give people an ultimatum.
      Some will volunteer when they perceive a need. And some will volunteer,
      but; their perception has to be sharpened by the ultimatum.
      example: I have been Cubmaster and Webelos den leader for the past two
      years; either someone volunteers to be Cubmaster, or we won't have a pack.
      Someone stepped up and said they didn't really have the time, but they
      would be Cubmaster rather than see the pack disband. Another became the
      Webelos den leader for the same reason/threat.

      If anyone else has a less threatening method of recruitment, I would like
      to know it.

      Steve Meyers
      Pellissippi District
      Great Smoky Mountain Council
    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
        This will be in two parts, cause I'm including significant text from two
        documents that have been useful for our unit. First is from our pack handbook:

        Parent Involvement

        Scouting has three aims: Character Development, Citizenship Training, and
        Moral and Physical Fitness. In Cub Scouting we carry out these aims through
        these methods:
        The ideals of Scouting
        The den
        Advancement
        Family involvement
        Activities
        A home and neighborhood centered focus
        The uniform

        The Cub Scouting program is designed to include parents. The purpose is to
        increase communication in your family, and to give your Scout the valuable
        experience of spending one-on-one time with you. As parents you are Akela
        (Ah-kay-la) - the good leader, and share this responsibility with his den
        leader. As your son progresses from Tiger Cub to Boy Scout, your involvement
        in his Scouting career evolves just as he does.

        As Tiger Cubs, parents attend all meetings with their Scout, and participate
        in all activities. You sign the requirements in his handbook. You and the
        Tiger Cub Den leader plan one month's meetings and outings. You and your
        Tiger Cub host the meetings (not necessarily in your home) and direct the
        meetings you have planned - with the assistance of the den leader.

        The parents of Scouts in Wolf and Bear dens are also primarily responsible
        for assuring that their sons complete the requirement for their rank, and
        sign the requirements in the Scouts’ handbooks. Parents are encouraged to
        attend den meetings and to assist den leaders with activities, chaperoning
        field trips and arranging special events.

        The parents of Webelos Scouts become the support system for the Webelos den
        leader. As Webelos Scouts work on individual activity badges, parents serve
        as resources to help the den leader teach the skills the Scout learns in
        order to earn the badge. For instance, a parent who has construction
        experience would be the activity badge counselor for the Craftsman badge.

        In addition to assisting with den activities, parents have a great role to
        play in the success of the pack. You will see other parents serving on the
        pack committee, as den leaders, and on committees for special events and
        activities. None of these functions would be a success without the
        participation of parents, who after all, are the “owners” of the pack. Your
        sons’ successful Scouting experience is directly tied to the participation of
        parents in the life of the pack.

        While not every parent feels he or she is patient enough to be a den leader
        or organized enough to be the Treasurer, there is a role for every parent in
        pack activities. Your son will appreciate the fact that you care enough about
        him and his Scouting experience to become involved in a committee, or pack
        position.

        This year you will be asked to sign up for committees that will be
        responsible for:
        Pack Outings (there may be a single committee to arrange these, or one
        committee for each outing)
        Fundraising - three committees, for popcorn sales, wreath sales and
        the spring fundraiser
        Blue and Gold Banquet - Scouting’s annual birthday party in February
        Pinewood Derby
        Cake Auction - our November parent/Scout cake bake and auction
        Holiday party - our December celebration
        Camping - responsible for coordinating Day Camp, Fun with Son and the
        pack campout.
        It may be the case that if not enough parents sign up to fill all the spaces
        available, parents will be assigned to committees. However, we doubt that
        this will necessary. We are confident that all parents want to make a
        contribution to the pack, so that they can demonstrate to their Scouts the
        importance of being part of their community.

        There are many resources available to help you with your committee
        activities, including training, available from the pack and from the council.

        You want your son to get as much out of Scouting as is possible. A healthy
        pack is one which offers Scouts many opportunities. Parents are the key to a
        successful pack.

        YiS,
        Jamie Dunn
        P.512
        Pack Trainer
        Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        Cub Scout Training Chair
        3 Rivers District
      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
          Part 2 - presentation (normally used at school night, but can be useful in
          other situations):

          Adding machine tape “Time Line” demonstration for Join Scouting Night

          You need an 8-10 foot long piece of adding machine or calculator tape.

          Mark off the tape in ten year increments with 0 at the left end and 100 at
          the right. Use large numbers so parents can see from the audience. Roll the
          tape back up, so that the 100 is in the center.

          For the presentation you will need two helpers to hold the tape in front of
          you so you can point at various points on the tape.

          Start out saying:

          “With the current advances in medical technology its very likely that your
          son will live about 100 years.” (Have your helpers unroll the tape in front
          of you, so the whole time line is visible).

          “If you're 35 now, statistically, you'll likely live until you're 75 or so,
          when your son will be about 50.” (Rip the tape off at the 1/2 way point and
          hand the end to your helper. Let the other half fall to the floor). “This
          represents the years you and your son will have together in his lifetime.”

          “And he's probably about 6 or 7 now.” (Rip of the tape slightly below 10 and
          let that piece fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper). So here's the
          time you have left together.

          “How old do you suppose your son will be when he goes away to college (or you
          decide its time for him to be out on his own)? 18 - 20? (Rip off the tape
          someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor. Hand the end to
          your helper). This is the amount of time you have left with him at home.

          “When he's about 13 - middle school age - his friends start to become a much
          bigger, maybe the major, influence in his life.” (If you can - assuming you
          have teenager - make a comment about how you know this from experience). (Rip
          off the tape someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor.
          Hand the end to your helper).

          (Take the very short piece of tape from your helpers and hold in it front of
          you.) “This is the time you have left to be the major shaping force in your
          son's life. You can show him how important he is to you by becoming involved i
          n Scouting with him. Cub Scouts is a remarkable opportunity for you and your
          son to share a great variety of fun, exciting and positive experiences.
          Experiences that give you that opportunity to help him grow into an adult
          that you'll be proud to point to and say: ‘That's my son - Hess a good
          person.’”

          (Go on to talk about volunteer opportunities in your pack and how parents can
          participate in them).

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          P.512
          Pack Trainer
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District
        • Ned Darden
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
            --- Ida Lively <glezen@...> wrote:
            > On my pop up camping board, I came across this. Do
            > you have any good
            > advice for her?

            One thing that finally got both my wifeand I involved
            was a requirement of the Webelos 1 & 2 leader that at
            least one parent in each family become a registered
            leader. Also required each family to be responsible
            for at least one activity pin.

            As a result, every family had at least one parent at
            every den meeting. Those not involved in working on
            activity pins, socialized and planned for coming
            meetings and outings. We camped on average every six
            weeks during Webelos 1 & 2 years. We did a couple of
            field trips and service projects as well.

            When boys were ready to crossover to Boy Scouts all
            but one had earned all 20 activity pins and AOL. Only
            one of the boys dropped out and did not continue in
            Boy Scouts.

            Of that group, one has made Eagle, and three others
            are Life Scouts working on Eagle. All the parents who
            were registered as Webelos leaders are now registered
            with the Troop. I;m beginning my 5th year as
            Scoutmaster in a Troop where annual changes in that
            position had been the norm. Both my wife and I
            completed Wood Badge (SR-254 Bobwhite & Owl) in 1999.

            My advice is to twist their arms and tell them that
            unless they sign on there will be no program for their
            sons. I think they will find that it's more fun for
            them than for the boys and will want to stay involved
            once they get their feet wet. Also if every parent
            signs on, they can split the work so that they might
            really approach the goal of "Only one hour a week."

            Ned Darden
            SM T451
            Pace, FL
            Bobwhite, SR-254
            Gulf Coast Council Training Staff

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
              Ida Lively wrote:

              >Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
              >sons scouting adventure?

              Kids join Scouting because they want to have fun, they are looking for
              adventure, they want to do things they can't always do in the normal
              course of their lives. AND, they rely on you, their parents and leaders,
              to provide those opportunities and to make this program we call
              "Scouting" work.

              Most Unit leaders have a vision of what Scouting is really all about,
              and a desire to provide this program for their Scouts. But they sometime
              fail to adequately share this vision with the parents and other adult
              leaders in their unit. Consequently, many units suffer from a lack of
              the adult help necessary to make the program work. So, what is the best
              thing you, as a parent or leader, can do to ensure the success of your
              Unit and your Scouting program? Actually two things: 1) share the
              "vision" of Scouting with ALL your parents by by educating them in the
              real PURPOSE and VALUE of the Scouting program, and 2) get your leaders
              trained, each and every one of them!

              When you look around at the most successful units in Scouting, they
              almost always have two things in common - they have a "vision" of the
              purpose and value of the program, and, in part because of that vision,
              they have trained trained leaders ...lots of them. Training is not
              always a guarantee of a successful program, but it's been shown to be
              the single most important factor in those units who have successful
              programs. In fact, studies have shown that units with more than 10
              trained leaders are four times more likely to have a good Scouting
              program than those with fewer than 5 registered adults.

              The greatest legacy you could leave your children is a strong set of
              values, a belief in God, and the character traits and self-confidence to
              become a success in whatever they choose to do in life. Scouting can
              help you leave this legacy. Millions of kids have benefited from the
              Scouting program for over 92 years. This is the vision and mission of
              Scoutng: "...to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their
              lifetime by instilling in them the VALUES of the Scout Oath and Law."

              So, support your Scouting program ...get the "vision" and get trained!
              James Ball
              Sand Lake District Training Chair
              Central Florida Council (Orlando)
            • Dan Kurtenbach
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
                Ida Lively wrote: "Here is my question, how do you get parents to become
                more involved in their sons scouting adventure?"

                And James Ball responded in part: "Kids join Scouting because they want to
                have fun, they are looking for adventure, they want to do things they can't
                always do in the normal course of their lives."

                Well, the same is true for parents. My personal view is that the best way
                to get and keep parents involved in the program is to make it at least as
                much for them as for the kids. Dedication to ideals and values and the
                desire to see your son grow up to be a good man are important, and go a long
                way. But if you have a program where the parents are having fun right along
                with the kids, are enjoying watching what the kids are doing and enjoying
                each others' company, parents will want to participate. Everyone likes to
                do fun things rather than do work, and parents are no exception. Keep in
                mind that almost every hour of a kid activity is an hour of the parents'
                time as well. They need fun and entertainment as much as--actually, more
                than--their sons. On the other hand, if you continually emphasize that it
                takes a lot of work to make Scouting go, and how frazzled you are, how much
                help you need, and you keep begging for volunteers, no one will want to help
                because all you are talking about is hard work. It's simple, really: Show
                everyone how much fun *you* are having, and then ask them to join in. Those
                who can have fun Scouting will join in--and those are the kind of people you
                want as Scout leaders. Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't having
                fun yourself--everyone can see it. And if your program doesn't provide
                opportunities for your parents to have fun as well, change your program.

                In my view, using guilt to get parental involvement is simply not the way to
                go. I can't abide "assigning" parents to tasks they don't want or taking
                the "no participation, no program" approach. I don't like it done to me,
                and I won't do it to anyone else.

                Oh, and by the way--parents who are enjoying Scouting can get the same kind
                of character/citizenship/fitness benefits that the boys are . . .

                Dan Kurtenbach
                Fairfax, VA

              • wahowland@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
                  Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
                  bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
                  know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
                  to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

                  I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
                  boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
                  frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
                  more than a little pit per minute.

                  By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
                  little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
                  you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
                  reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
                  index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
                  take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
                  could turn down such a piddling request?
                  "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
                  Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
                  (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
                  "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
                  your office, please?"
                  "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
                  meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
                  "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
                  a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
                  for just 15 minutes?"
                  "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
                  for us? Gee, that would be great."

                  You get the idea.....

                  THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
                  even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
                  helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
                  ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
                  all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
                  cheer.

                  It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
                  people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
                  will do for a little bit of recognition.

                  YiS
                  Auntie Beans
                  Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
                  Training Committee Chair
                  NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
                  Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
                  I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
                • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
                    I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
                    subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
                    was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
                    that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
                    Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
                    for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
                    who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

                    I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
                    RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
                    Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
                    give her some ways to start.

                    By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
                    but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

                    Pete Mullaney