Cub Scout Crisis

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
      On my pop up camping board, I came across this. Do you have any good
      advice for her?

      --------------------------

      I need some thoughts from you Cub Scouting Parents, I know there are quite
      a few of you.

      My Dh is the Cub Master/stand in den leader, I am a Den
      Leader/Advancement chair/newsletter editior/head runner for our Pack. We
      also have a Treasurer that handles most of our affairs.

      Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
      sons scouting adventure?

      Our family has been involved with this pack for 5 years now. Our oldest is
      in his last year! But our youngest is only a tiger scout. He is the child
      who I can see going on in Scouting. However, if we don't get more
      parents involved in the activites involved with running this Pack
      there will not be a pack! We have 30 boys in this pack, 4 webelos 1, 4
      webelosII, 6 Bears, 6 Wolves, and 11 Tigers.

      We have begged and pleaded since November for help. My dh does not want to
      be Cub Master any longer. He has been doing this for 4 years and wants
      to be our youngests Den Leader. I would like to take over as either Cub
      Master, or Treasurer. But I can not bring myself to come forward and say I
      will do this because, there are so many parents who do nothing, but drop
      their son off for the meetings.

      We have always done a monthly outing, we have done Jelly Belly tours(free),
      Sprecher Root Beer tour(free), College basketball($6.00 including hot dog,
      chips and a soda),Hockey game($9.00), Nature Hunt in the local park with a
      naturalist. Every outing we go to the scout is paid for, but the parent or
      adult that brings them must pay. As you can see we have done a variety of
      things and not all of them are expensive. We have very low turn out.

      In the summer we do a picinic, and family camping this is FREE! Our pack
      doesn't charge a dime for these two activities. The pack has done some
      very nice things for the kids. But we can't get any parents to take over a
      few of these things that need to be done.

      The excuese we get are "I work full time," "I am very busy" "I don't
      have time" "Wednesday Night is my Pool night, I can't make a committee
      meeting once a month" "I am a fire Fighter and work funky shifts, or a
      police officer". Do you see what I see in this?

      Sorry for rambeling, but I need ideas how to get more help, Dh and I can't
      do this alone for 4 more years. Why should we make it nice/easy for people
      who don't appreiciate it? I could be enjoying my own family instead of
      making plans for their family not to show up.

      As you tell I have scattered thoughts. I know I need to organize them.

      HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Beth-71,Tom-68,
      3 rugrats
      99 Expedition
      00 Utah
      May 10- first trip of the year! Hurry up!
    • E S Meyers
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
        In my own experience, you have to give people an ultimatum.
        Some will volunteer when they perceive a need. And some will volunteer,
        but; their perception has to be sharpened by the ultimatum.
        example: I have been Cubmaster and Webelos den leader for the past two
        years; either someone volunteers to be Cubmaster, or we won't have a pack.
        Someone stepped up and said they didn't really have the time, but they
        would be Cubmaster rather than see the pack disband. Another became the
        Webelos den leader for the same reason/threat.

        If anyone else has a less threatening method of recruitment, I would like
        to know it.

        Steve Meyers
        Pellissippi District
        Great Smoky Mountain Council
      • JNDunnMN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
          This will be in two parts, cause I'm including significant text from two
          documents that have been useful for our unit. First is from our pack handbook:

          Parent Involvement

          Scouting has three aims: Character Development, Citizenship Training, and
          Moral and Physical Fitness. In Cub Scouting we carry out these aims through
          these methods:
          The ideals of Scouting
          The den
          Advancement
          Family involvement
          Activities
          A home and neighborhood centered focus
          The uniform

          The Cub Scouting program is designed to include parents. The purpose is to
          increase communication in your family, and to give your Scout the valuable
          experience of spending one-on-one time with you. As parents you are Akela
          (Ah-kay-la) - the good leader, and share this responsibility with his den
          leader. As your son progresses from Tiger Cub to Boy Scout, your involvement
          in his Scouting career evolves just as he does.

          As Tiger Cubs, parents attend all meetings with their Scout, and participate
          in all activities. You sign the requirements in his handbook. You and the
          Tiger Cub Den leader plan one month's meetings and outings. You and your
          Tiger Cub host the meetings (not necessarily in your home) and direct the
          meetings you have planned - with the assistance of the den leader.

          The parents of Scouts in Wolf and Bear dens are also primarily responsible
          for assuring that their sons complete the requirement for their rank, and
          sign the requirements in the Scouts’ handbooks. Parents are encouraged to
          attend den meetings and to assist den leaders with activities, chaperoning
          field trips and arranging special events.

          The parents of Webelos Scouts become the support system for the Webelos den
          leader. As Webelos Scouts work on individual activity badges, parents serve
          as resources to help the den leader teach the skills the Scout learns in
          order to earn the badge. For instance, a parent who has construction
          experience would be the activity badge counselor for the Craftsman badge.

          In addition to assisting with den activities, parents have a great role to
          play in the success of the pack. You will see other parents serving on the
          pack committee, as den leaders, and on committees for special events and
          activities. None of these functions would be a success without the
          participation of parents, who after all, are the “owners” of the pack. Your
          sons’ successful Scouting experience is directly tied to the participation of
          parents in the life of the pack.

          While not every parent feels he or she is patient enough to be a den leader
          or organized enough to be the Treasurer, there is a role for every parent in
          pack activities. Your son will appreciate the fact that you care enough about
          him and his Scouting experience to become involved in a committee, or pack
          position.

          This year you will be asked to sign up for committees that will be
          responsible for:
          Pack Outings (there may be a single committee to arrange these, or one
          committee for each outing)
          Fundraising - three committees, for popcorn sales, wreath sales and
          the spring fundraiser
          Blue and Gold Banquet - Scouting’s annual birthday party in February
          Pinewood Derby
          Cake Auction - our November parent/Scout cake bake and auction
          Holiday party - our December celebration
          Camping - responsible for coordinating Day Camp, Fun with Son and the
          pack campout.
          It may be the case that if not enough parents sign up to fill all the spaces
          available, parents will be assigned to committees. However, we doubt that
          this will necessary. We are confident that all parents want to make a
          contribution to the pack, so that they can demonstrate to their Scouts the
          importance of being part of their community.

          There are many resources available to help you with your committee
          activities, including training, available from the pack and from the council.

          You want your son to get as much out of Scouting as is possible. A healthy
          pack is one which offers Scouts many opportunities. Parents are the key to a
          successful pack.

          YiS,
          Jamie Dunn
          P.512
          Pack Trainer
          Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          Cub Scout Training Chair
          3 Rivers District
        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
            Part 2 - presentation (normally used at school night, but can be useful in
            other situations):

            Adding machine tape “Time Line” demonstration for Join Scouting Night

            You need an 8-10 foot long piece of adding machine or calculator tape.

            Mark off the tape in ten year increments with 0 at the left end and 100 at
            the right. Use large numbers so parents can see from the audience. Roll the
            tape back up, so that the 100 is in the center.

            For the presentation you will need two helpers to hold the tape in front of
            you so you can point at various points on the tape.

            Start out saying:

            “With the current advances in medical technology its very likely that your
            son will live about 100 years.” (Have your helpers unroll the tape in front
            of you, so the whole time line is visible).

            “If you're 35 now, statistically, you'll likely live until you're 75 or so,
            when your son will be about 50.” (Rip the tape off at the 1/2 way point and
            hand the end to your helper. Let the other half fall to the floor). “This
            represents the years you and your son will have together in his lifetime.”

            “And he's probably about 6 or 7 now.” (Rip of the tape slightly below 10 and
            let that piece fall to the floor. Hand the end to your helper). So here's the
            time you have left together.

            “How old do you suppose your son will be when he goes away to college (or you
            decide its time for him to be out on his own)? 18 - 20? (Rip off the tape
            someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor. Hand the end to
            your helper). This is the amount of time you have left with him at home.

            “When he's about 13 - middle school age - his friends start to become a much
            bigger, maybe the major, influence in his life.” (If you can - assuming you
            have teenager - make a comment about how you know this from experience). (Rip
            off the tape someplace in this vicinity. Let that chunk fall to the floor.
            Hand the end to your helper).

            (Take the very short piece of tape from your helpers and hold in it front of
            you.) “This is the time you have left to be the major shaping force in your
            son's life. You can show him how important he is to you by becoming involved i
            n Scouting with him. Cub Scouts is a remarkable opportunity for you and your
            son to share a great variety of fun, exciting and positive experiences.
            Experiences that give you that opportunity to help him grow into an adult
            that you'll be proud to point to and say: ‘That's my son - Hess a good
            person.’”

            (Go on to talk about volunteer opportunities in your pack and how parents can
            participate in them).

            YiS,
            Jamie Dunn
            P.512
            Pack Trainer
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Chair
            3 Rivers District
          • Ned Darden
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
              --- Ida Lively <glezen@...> wrote:
              > On my pop up camping board, I came across this. Do
              > you have any good
              > advice for her?

              One thing that finally got both my wifeand I involved
              was a requirement of the Webelos 1 & 2 leader that at
              least one parent in each family become a registered
              leader. Also required each family to be responsible
              for at least one activity pin.

              As a result, every family had at least one parent at
              every den meeting. Those not involved in working on
              activity pins, socialized and planned for coming
              meetings and outings. We camped on average every six
              weeks during Webelos 1 & 2 years. We did a couple of
              field trips and service projects as well.

              When boys were ready to crossover to Boy Scouts all
              but one had earned all 20 activity pins and AOL. Only
              one of the boys dropped out and did not continue in
              Boy Scouts.

              Of that group, one has made Eagle, and three others
              are Life Scouts working on Eagle. All the parents who
              were registered as Webelos leaders are now registered
              with the Troop. I;m beginning my 5th year as
              Scoutmaster in a Troop where annual changes in that
              position had been the norm. Both my wife and I
              completed Wood Badge (SR-254 Bobwhite & Owl) in 1999.

              My advice is to twist their arms and tell them that
              unless they sign on there will be no program for their
              sons. I think they will find that it's more fun for
              them than for the boys and will want to stay involved
              once they get their feet wet. Also if every parent
              signs on, they can split the work so that they might
              really approach the goal of "Only one hour a week."

              Ned Darden
              SM T451
              Pace, FL
              Bobwhite, SR-254
              Gulf Coast Council Training Staff

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
                Ida Lively wrote:

                >Here is my question, how do you get parents to become more involved in their
                >sons scouting adventure?

                Kids join Scouting because they want to have fun, they are looking for
                adventure, they want to do things they can't always do in the normal
                course of their lives. AND, they rely on you, their parents and leaders,
                to provide those opportunities and to make this program we call
                "Scouting" work.

                Most Unit leaders have a vision of what Scouting is really all about,
                and a desire to provide this program for their Scouts. But they sometime
                fail to adequately share this vision with the parents and other adult
                leaders in their unit. Consequently, many units suffer from a lack of
                the adult help necessary to make the program work. So, what is the best
                thing you, as a parent or leader, can do to ensure the success of your
                Unit and your Scouting program? Actually two things: 1) share the
                "vision" of Scouting with ALL your parents by by educating them in the
                real PURPOSE and VALUE of the Scouting program, and 2) get your leaders
                trained, each and every one of them!

                When you look around at the most successful units in Scouting, they
                almost always have two things in common - they have a "vision" of the
                purpose and value of the program, and, in part because of that vision,
                they have trained trained leaders ...lots of them. Training is not
                always a guarantee of a successful program, but it's been shown to be
                the single most important factor in those units who have successful
                programs. In fact, studies have shown that units with more than 10
                trained leaders are four times more likely to have a good Scouting
                program than those with fewer than 5 registered adults.

                The greatest legacy you could leave your children is a strong set of
                values, a belief in God, and the character traits and self-confidence to
                become a success in whatever they choose to do in life. Scouting can
                help you leave this legacy. Millions of kids have benefited from the
                Scouting program for over 92 years. This is the vision and mission of
                Scoutng: "...to prepare young people to make ethical choices over their
                lifetime by instilling in them the VALUES of the Scout Oath and Law."

                So, support your Scouting program ...get the "vision" and get trained!
                James Ball
                Sand Lake District Training Chair
                Central Florida Council (Orlando)
              • Dan Kurtenbach
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
                  Ida Lively wrote: "Here is my question, how do you get parents to become
                  more involved in their sons scouting adventure?"

                  And James Ball responded in part: "Kids join Scouting because they want to
                  have fun, they are looking for adventure, they want to do things they can't
                  always do in the normal course of their lives."

                  Well, the same is true for parents. My personal view is that the best way
                  to get and keep parents involved in the program is to make it at least as
                  much for them as for the kids. Dedication to ideals and values and the
                  desire to see your son grow up to be a good man are important, and go a long
                  way. But if you have a program where the parents are having fun right along
                  with the kids, are enjoying watching what the kids are doing and enjoying
                  each others' company, parents will want to participate. Everyone likes to
                  do fun things rather than do work, and parents are no exception. Keep in
                  mind that almost every hour of a kid activity is an hour of the parents'
                  time as well. They need fun and entertainment as much as--actually, more
                  than--their sons. On the other hand, if you continually emphasize that it
                  takes a lot of work to make Scouting go, and how frazzled you are, how much
                  help you need, and you keep begging for volunteers, no one will want to help
                  because all you are talking about is hard work. It's simple, really: Show
                  everyone how much fun *you* are having, and then ask them to join in. Those
                  who can have fun Scouting will join in--and those are the kind of people you
                  want as Scout leaders. Of course, that doesn't work if you aren't having
                  fun yourself--everyone can see it. And if your program doesn't provide
                  opportunities for your parents to have fun as well, change your program.

                  In my view, using guilt to get parental involvement is simply not the way to
                  go. I can't abide "assigning" parents to tasks they don't want or taking
                  the "no participation, no program" approach. I don't like it done to me,
                  and I won't do it to anyone else.

                  Oh, and by the way--parents who are enjoying Scouting can get the same kind
                  of character/citizenship/fitness benefits that the boys are . . .

                  Dan Kurtenbach
                  Fairfax, VA

                • wahowland@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 9, 2002
                    Ever think that people are loath to help because they think that it's a
                    bigger job than they can handle? I mean, you're obviously so into it and you
                    know a lot, and well, gee, I just couldn't measure up, and I don't want you
                    to see how dumb I feel, cause I don't really know very much about it, so.....

                    I've always found that the best way to get people to help is with the
                    boil-a-frog approach. That makes reference to the fact that you can boil a
                    frog in a pot of water as long as you don't increase the temp of the water
                    more than a little pit per minute.

                    By the same token, you can cook these folks, er, um, get them involved just a
                    little bit at a time. Give them small, easily done jobs. For example, "I know
                    you're always busy on Weds nights, but if I dropped off the advancement
                    reports and the pins at your house on Monday, could you just put the pins on
                    index cards with the boy's name and den? It would be a big help and it won't
                    take you an hour." OK, so I lied, it's more like an hour and a half, but who
                    could turn down such a piddling request?
                    "With your rotating shifts I'm sure it's hard to do as much as you'd like in
                    Cubs with Tommy. Can you look at your calendar and tell me if you're at work
                    (note, do not say "free") in the afternoon on Saturday the 25th?"
                    "We need some copies made for the pack meeting. Could you get them done at
                    your office, please?"
                    "We'd like to have a flag ceremony with just adults in it at the next pack
                    meeting. Can you stay for just 15 minutes, and then you can go?"
                    "We're gonna sell raffle tickets for plates of cookies at the pack meeting as
                    a fundraiser. Can you take quarters and give out tickets before the meeting,
                    for just 15 minutes?"
                    "We have all these quarters. Can you take them to the bank and deposit them
                    for us? Gee, that would be great."

                    You get the idea.....

                    THEN you recognize them up the wazoo--- give them awards they can carry home,
                    even silly ones: The Big Hand Award (a stuffed garden glove on a stick) for
                    helping with the pins; The Shining Star Award, for participation in the flag
                    ceremony; the Life Saver Award for driving, since "we couldn't have gone at
                    all without your help!"; get them up in front of everyone and give 'em a
                    cheer.

                    It won't happen right away, but if you do two or three of these every month,
                    people will start being more willing to be asked.... It's amazing what people
                    will do for a little bit of recognition.

                    YiS
                    Auntie Beans
                    Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
                    Training Committee Chair
                    NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
                    Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
                    I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
                  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSTA-AR-WES]
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 11, 2002
                      I lead the Committee Member break-out at our RoundTable. This
                      subject has been discussed a number of times. One woman's solution
                      was this: At the first Pack meeting of the year make it clear
                      that everyone must sign up for something (leaders, committee,
                      Blue & Gold, tours, etc) or they will be assigned something to do
                      for the Pack. This may be heavy handed and you may lose some boys
                      who need scouting, but sometimes you have to play hard ball.

                      I recommend you suggest to this woman to go to her RT and ask the
                      RT commissioner to have an open forum on this. Hearing how other
                      Packs handle this may not give her the solution, but it may
                      give her some ways to start.

                      By the way, what is a 'dh'? I know what it is in baseball,
                      but here? Maybe 'dear husband'?

                      Pete Mullaney