Re: [Scouter_T] I've Been Invited to Philmont Training Center

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
      Lina wrote:

      >I've Been Invited to Philmont Training Center .....
      >.... and I seek the wisdom of the List Members to help
      >me make a decision....
      >
      >The two sessions I have been invited to attend are
      >"New Directions In Training" which I understand is
      >oriented towards District Cub Trainers, and "Training
      >Management Seminar" which I understand is oriented
      >towards Council and District Training Chairs.

      Follow your heart (love). If you intend to be involved in "hands on" Cub
      training, the first choice sounds like it's for you. If you are going to
      manage your District's (Council's) training program, then choice two
      should give you some great insight. Either way, understand one thing.
      These course descriptions are not always accurate. Often PTC (or
      National) will come up with a course concept and then try to go find
      people to teach (more like guide you through) the material. They are
      expected to write their own "lesson plans" for this course description.
      Sometimes the info is very much in line with the course description,
      other times it is not. As an example, last year I took a course called
      "re-engineering Boy Scout Training" (supposedly designed for
      District/Council level training chairs). The instructors did not have a
      clear idea of how to approach this course, so they ended up having us
      review and put on mini-training sessions based on the then brand new
      training syllabi. They totally misjudged their audience, and by the
      second day we, the participants, had had enough. We were all trainers of
      some experience and didn't need to "practice" our training skills.
      Within 24 hours they, with our help, had restructured the course along
      our many suggestions and ended up having a worthwhile learning
      experience. Now this experience was the exception, but the way these
      courses are put together is the same. You may find out when you get
      there you may be able to influence the direction the conference takes
      significantly, so be prepared to speak up.

      In any case, definitely go. The experience is worth it and will provide
      memories for a lifetime. You will meet new friends, gain new insights,
      and experience a renewed commitment to the Scouting program not to
      different than your Wood Badge experience. And you will learn more than
      you ever could imagine, not only in your course but about Scouting and
      its roots, its heritage, and its values. Good luck and don't miss this
      wonderful opportunity. Oh, and one more thing - try to stay away from
      the Trading Post across the street at base camp ....it can be dangerous
      to your (financial) heath. :-)
      Jim Ball
      Central Florida Council
      Sand Lake District Training Chair
      ...and a good 'ol beaver too!
    • Lina
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2002
        This message is cross-posted to both the Philmont List
        and the Scouter_T list.

        I would like to thank everyone who responded on and
        off-list to my request last month for guidance in
        selecting a course to attend at PTC. You gave me what
        I needed, the reason to follow my head and accept the
        position as my District's Training Coordinator. I
        will be attending the Training Management Seminar the
        week of June 23-29 at PTC. I received my confirmation
        of registration yesterday.

        I will also be taking my son who will be participating
        in the Mountain Man Trek. He is as excited as I am at
        being able to go to Philmont.

        Now I just have to figure out how I'm gonna get
        there!! Actually, our District Key 3 (along with one
        of their spouses) will be attending PTC the same week.
        We're currently trying to get the loan of a vehicle
        that will carry the six of us and our gear so we can
        all ride together. Otherwise my son and I will be
        driving on our own.

        I look forward to being there and (hopefully) meeting
        some of you that I've listened to on this list.
        You're ALL great!!!

        =====
        YiS,
        Lina Fryckman
        Santa Maria Valley District, Los Padres Council, CA

        "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
        the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world
        may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy."

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Carterwhs@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2002
          If you have room in your car - bring a small portable fan. Myself, spouse and
          2 boys all went last summer and WE LOVED IT!
          When we arrived at our tent - the temperature registered 108 degrees!
          It was extremely hot, but the fan really helped to circulate the air - to
          bring it down to a more managable 80 degrees. Drink lots of water! We
          actually bought a fan in Cimarron (worth every penny - it was the last one)
          and we gave it to my son's counselor.
          Have a wonderful time - it was truly the experience of a lifetime. I hope we
          will get to return again soon.
          Sue Carter
          North Trails District
          Detroit Area Council
          Attended Cub Scout Roundtable Session

        • Stu Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2002
            On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:54:13PM -0400, Carterwhs@... wrote:

            > Have a wonderful time - it was truly the experience of a lifetime. I hope we
            > will get to return again soon.

            Speaking of which ... if they give you a copy of next year's schedule
            can we get you to post it when you get back? I'm planning a return
            trip myself for next year, and would love to know what's offered when.

            Thanks!

            YiS,
            Stu

            --