I've Been Invited to Philmont Training Center

  • Lina
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
      I've Been Invited to Philmont Training Center .....
      .... and I seek the wisdom of the List Members
      (cross posted to the Philmont list and to Scouter_T)

      After having been invited for the umpteenth time, I
      will finally be able to attend PTC. However, I've
      been invited to two different courses, and I'm
      undecided as to which to attend. I honestly wish I
      could afford to attend both (I do have the time, just
      not the $$$$). I seek the wisdom of the list to help
      me make a decision.

      First, some background. I have been involved in
      Scouting, Cub and Boy Scout levels, unit, district and
      council, from 1974 to 1986 with son #1 and from 1991
      to the present with son #2. My current focus is Troop
      Committee member, District Cub Roundtable Staff, Merit
      Badge Counselor, District Training Staff and Unit
      Commissioner. My love is Training. I was the
      District Cub Training Chair for six years. I stepped
      down two years ago because of increased
      responsibilities on my j-o-b (you know, the thing you
      do to support your Scouting habit). I am considering
      accepting the District Training Chair position
      (currently empty; the training staff is almost
      non-existent; the last NLE and PST two weeks ago for
      Cub, Boy Scout and Varsity Leaders was staffed by
      three, our District Director, District Commissioner
      and me). I have attended every training course
      offered on the District and Council level except
      Varsity and Venturing, High Adventure and Snow Trek,
      BSA Lifeguard and COPE, Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge
      and Wood Badge for the 21st Century. I attended NCS
      Cub Day Camp Director and Program Director courses. I
      have also attended Cub Trainer Wood Badge (W-CS-34 - I
      use'ta be a Beaver).

      The two sessions I have been invited to attend are
      "New Directions In Training" which I understand is
      oriented towards District Cub Trainers, and "Training
      Management Seminar" which I understand is oriented
      towards Council and District Training Chairs.

      What are the differences between these two courses?
      What are the major advantages of each? Disadvantages?
      Would you pay my fee for one of them so I can attend
      both and reap the full benefits of comparing them? ;-)
      Given the above background, which would you attend and
      why?

      Philmont has long been a dream of mine, and though I
      am not physically able to go on a trek (which is what
      I've always dreamed of), I am extremely excited at the
      prospect of attending PTC, and of just BEING THERE.
      As a single mom with limited income, this will
      probably be my only chance to attend. I want to make
      the best decision of which course to take, not just
      for my interests, but for what I can take back to my
      District.

      I do need to make up my mind by the end of this week,
      not only to reserve my spot, but also to request my
      vacation time off in order to attend. I welcome all
      of your comments and advice, on or off list, to help
      me make my decision. Thank you.

      =====
      YiS,
      Lina Fryckman
      Santa Maria Valley District, Los Padres Council, CA

      "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
      the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world
      may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy."

      http://http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
        Lina wrote:

        >I've Been Invited to Philmont Training Center .....
        >.... and I seek the wisdom of the List Members to help
        >me make a decision....
        >
        >The two sessions I have been invited to attend are
        >"New Directions In Training" which I understand is
        >oriented towards District Cub Trainers, and "Training
        >Management Seminar" which I understand is oriented
        >towards Council and District Training Chairs.

        Follow your heart (love). If you intend to be involved in "hands on" Cub
        training, the first choice sounds like it's for you. If you are going to
        manage your District's (Council's) training program, then choice two
        should give you some great insight. Either way, understand one thing.
        These course descriptions are not always accurate. Often PTC (or
        National) will come up with a course concept and then try to go find
        people to teach (more like guide you through) the material. They are
        expected to write their own "lesson plans" for this course description.
        Sometimes the info is very much in line with the course description,
        other times it is not. As an example, last year I took a course called
        "re-engineering Boy Scout Training" (supposedly designed for
        District/Council level training chairs). The instructors did not have a
        clear idea of how to approach this course, so they ended up having us
        review and put on mini-training sessions based on the then brand new
        training syllabi. They totally misjudged their audience, and by the
        second day we, the participants, had had enough. We were all trainers of
        some experience and didn't need to "practice" our training skills.
        Within 24 hours they, with our help, had restructured the course along
        our many suggestions and ended up having a worthwhile learning
        experience. Now this experience was the exception, but the way these
        courses are put together is the same. You may find out when you get
        there you may be able to influence the direction the conference takes
        significantly, so be prepared to speak up.

        In any case, definitely go. The experience is worth it and will provide
        memories for a lifetime. You will meet new friends, gain new insights,
        and experience a renewed commitment to the Scouting program not to
        different than your Wood Badge experience. And you will learn more than
        you ever could imagine, not only in your course but about Scouting and
        its roots, its heritage, and its values. Good luck and don't miss this
        wonderful opportunity. Oh, and one more thing - try to stay away from
        the Trading Post across the street at base camp ....it can be dangerous
        to your (financial) heath. :-)
        Jim Ball
        Central Florida Council
        Sand Lake District Training Chair
        ...and a good 'ol beaver too!
      • Lina
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2002
          This message is cross-posted to both the Philmont List
          and the Scouter_T list.

          I would like to thank everyone who responded on and
          off-list to my request last month for guidance in
          selecting a course to attend at PTC. You gave me what
          I needed, the reason to follow my head and accept the
          position as my District's Training Coordinator. I
          will be attending the Training Management Seminar the
          week of June 23-29 at PTC. I received my confirmation
          of registration yesterday.

          I will also be taking my son who will be participating
          in the Mountain Man Trek. He is as excited as I am at
          being able to go to Philmont.

          Now I just have to figure out how I'm gonna get
          there!! Actually, our District Key 3 (along with one
          of their spouses) will be attending PTC the same week.
          We're currently trying to get the loan of a vehicle
          that will carry the six of us and our gear so we can
          all ride together. Otherwise my son and I will be
          driving on our own.

          I look forward to being there and (hopefully) meeting
          some of you that I've listened to on this list.
          You're ALL great!!!

          =====
          YiS,
          Lina Fryckman
          Santa Maria Valley District, Los Padres Council, CA

          "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,
          the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world
          may be different, because I was important in the life of a boy."

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Carterwhs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2002
            If you have room in your car - bring a small portable fan. Myself, spouse and
            2 boys all went last summer and WE LOVED IT!
            When we arrived at our tent - the temperature registered 108 degrees!
            It was extremely hot, but the fan really helped to circulate the air - to
            bring it down to a more managable 80 degrees. Drink lots of water! We
            actually bought a fan in Cimarron (worth every penny - it was the last one)
            and we gave it to my son's counselor.
            Have a wonderful time - it was truly the experience of a lifetime. I hope we
            will get to return again soon.
            Sue Carter
            North Trails District
            Detroit Area Council
            Attended Cub Scout Roundtable Session

          • Stu Allen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2002
              On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:54:13PM -0400, Carterwhs@... wrote:

              > Have a wonderful time - it was truly the experience of a lifetime. I hope we
              > will get to return again soon.

              Speaking of which ... if they give you a copy of next year's schedule
              can we get you to post it when you get back? I'm planning a return
              trip myself for next year, and would love to know what's offered when.

              Thanks!

              YiS,
              Stu

              --