New Leader Essentials (NLE)

  • Ken Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2002
      David,

      I disagree with your comment that Training is a Commissioner
      responsibility. NLE, like all of the courses in the New Training Kit
      were designed to be executed by the District Training Committee. Some
      smaller councils may run some of these courses at the Council level
      either due to insufficient trainers or participants at the District
      level.

      Now, what I recommend to your District Training Committees is that they
      find places in the courses where a member of the Commissioner Corps and
      some members of the District Committee can be presenters. For example,
      I have asked the District Commissioner to provide a member of his staff
      to present the session in NLE on "Where Do I Get Help?", and the
      District Vice-Chairman for Development to present the session on "Who
      Pays for Scouting?". You might also consider asking your Health &
      Safety Coordinator to present "How Do I Keep Scouting Safe". I have a
      couple of purposes with this approach. First, I want to get a variety
      of presenters up from instead of me all the time, and second, I want
      the leaders to see & meet the people they should be going to if they
      have questions.

      Providing New Leader Essentials is a Training Committee responsibility,
      but there is a place in the program for the Commissioner Corps to be
      involved, and I strongly encourage it.

      Yours in Scouting,
      Ken Todd, Training Chairman
      Aquia Dist, NCAC